Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

removing and seperating transmission from block

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing and seperating transmission from block

How much effort does it take to remove the transmission from the block? I have everything unbolted (double & triple checked) and I still can't seperate the tranny from the block. I am only using a jack to lower the tranny so I'm afraid to lower it too much just to break it free from the block.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: removing and seperating transmission from block (aalb1)

Prybars own! You need something to take it appart. Also if the motor is still in the car then you need to take off i believe the front mount.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Triple and quadruple check that you have all the bolts out.
Did you remove the starter? The big *** 19mm on the rear bracket? Clutch plate out of the way? Pull the splash guard?
It helps to remove the side bracket and the mount from the frame.

After that, I just tap a narrow screwdriver inbetween the housings and then move to a larger one before wiggling it away.

You dont need to take the front mount off, but it does help to remove it from the tranny (duh) and I zip tied it temp to the fan to get it out of the way.

(I JUST finished my isb and clutch swap today)
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aalb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much effort does it take to remove the transmission from the block? I have everything unbolted (double & triple checked) and I still can't seperate the tranny from the block. I am only using a jack to lower the tranny so I'm afraid to lower it too much just to break it free from the block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not that hard. Make sure the starter is off and that the clutch inspection cover is removed also. Then pull that thing off.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont forget to support the engine! With the mounts and tranny all disconnected it will seriously **** a lean if you dont throw somthing under it
Old 03-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

OK i'll try it again tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (aalb1)

Yeah man, quadruple check that all the bolts are off. I had one of the rear mount ones get me once. Also, like luserkid said, use a prybar or a flat screwdriver wrapped in tape. Or, if you want to be ghetto, kick the tranny from the engine side. Don't wail on it, just give it a couple of jabs till you separate the bellhousing from the block. Its worked for me in the past, but be real careful. Make sure the car is on stands and that the jack supporting the engine is solidly in place.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (HalfAnP)

yea and dont drop the trans like i did haha.... not cool... not that i was going to use the trans anyway... but... its not all that heavy... just awkward to hold make sure somthing is underneith it to support it on its way down...
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
H-T White Ops

Starter bolts
I sat there for about 45 minutes beating on this damn thing. Finally my dad comes over with the impact and zips those two bolts out and the ****** falls right off. Grrrrrr.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

Had the same problem. For an entire night the car sat and transmission held steady to the engine with no bolts in it. I was even able to pull out the floor jack without worry of the trans falling off. Attempt to pry it apart from inside the starter hole. I put the flatest screwdriver I had into the top opening near the starter after prying from in there to at least get less than a decimeter worth of space between the housings. If you decide to hit the screwdriver down with a hammer, make sure the sharpest point is not touching any melt or you'll scrape up the sides of either the trans or motor. Create space in rear then in the front or vice versa.