Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool???

I am thinking of replacing the flywheel, (I just replaced the clutch 3,000 miles ago or so), but I don't have the alignment tool anymore. Can I pull the clutch off and put it back on without using the alignment tool? Or do I need to replace the clutch if I'm getting a new flywheel? TIA.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Electrician

I don't think you need to replace the clutch if you replace your flywheel. But I do think you need a clutch alignment tool to mount it back. Go to a local mechanic and ask if you can use the tool or someone local from H-T.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool??? (******)

When I blew my motor in my last car. I did not have an aligment tool when I went to bolt my trans up to the new motor. I used a series of sockets to get it close. Then I tried to attach it and it did not go in. So I loosened the bolts a little and bascially got it in. Then tightened the bolts enough that it would not moved. Pulled it back off and then tightend them all the way. This was with motor and trans out of car of course. If yours is still in might not be able to do it.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool??? (underpressure02)

I've had very little luck finding an alignment tool around. Here's what happened though...when I replaced my clutch a few months back, the guy that was helping me did the part of pulling the clutch off and putting the new one on...in the end, the flywheel wasn't resurfaced. So I either need to get a new one or resurface the one on there now a bit. But I don't know of anywhere to get the alignment tool. Is there anyway to mark where the clutch is and put it back in the exact same spot. I didn't put the clutch on last time, so I'm a little fuzzy on how it all works. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

a dowel rod or the right sized screwdriver handle will work. its not that sensitive to alignment, once the tranny gets on the clutch disc, then you just align the tranny like normal and it will all fit.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool??? (Tyson)

so does the clutch disc sit in between the pressure plate and flywheel, and when the pressure plate bolts in it holds the clutch disc? Will resurfacing the flywheel work and prevent slipping in the future since the clutch has been on there for a couple months?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not really sure what youre talking about slipping. youre right that the disc is held in between the plate and flywheel, so when you bolt the plate to the flywheel it kind of locks the disc. it shouldnt slip until you start to put the tranny on.

its fine if you resurface the flywheel or put a new flywheel in. whatever the reason why you waited 3000 miles to put in another flywheel, you obviously just wasted the labor cost/time from putting the new clutch in the first time.

im not saying you dont need to align the disc, im just saying its not all that critical but do the best you can.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool??? (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not really sure what youre talking about slipping. youre right that the disc is held in between the plate and flywheel, so when you bolt the plate to the flywheel it kind of locks the disc. it shouldnt slip until you start to put the tranny on.

its fine if you resurface the flywheel or put a new flywheel in. whatever the reason why you waited 3000 miles to put in another flywheel, you obviously just wasted the labor cost/time from putting the new clutch in the first time.

im not saying you dont need to align the disc, im just saying its not all that critical but do the best you can.</TD></TR></TABLE>

By slipping I mean the clutch slipping, after everything is back together when I'm driving the car. Now that I know how critical it is to resurface the flywheel when you replace the clutch, that's why I want to do it. And I have to swap the tranny anyway, so while I'm in there I might as well try and resurface the flywheel.

So there shouldn't be any problem aligning the clutch disc, it should kind of align itself when I put the tranny on?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:38 AM
New User

you can rent an alignment tool at pepboys. thats what i did.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive never had my flywheel resurfaced on the several tranny/engine swaps ive done. just work it good with a brillo pad and fine sandpaper. as long as there was no metal to metal contact by letting the clutch disc wear to the rivets, the flywheel is still pretty smooth. never had an issue with clutch slip. im not hard on my clutch tho.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

By slipping I mean the clutch slipping, after everything is back together when I'm driving the car. Now that I know how critical it is to resurface the flywheel when you replace the clutch, that's why I want to do it. And I have to swap the tranny anyway, so while I'm in there I might as well try and resurface the flywheel.

So there shouldn't be any problem aligning the clutch disc, it should kind of align itself when I put the tranny on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you don not need a special tool, the only thing is that the clutch plate has to be lighned up right. i have done this by sight in the past.
just be prepard to have several goes at it for it to fit and put a little grease on the splines of the gearbox.
good luck
Old 08-11-2004, 11:11 AM

dude, id let you borrow my alignment tool, but i need it for my swap. IM me @ ijindieseli and kit wit me. when the swap is done, ill send it to u
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool??? (JinDIESEL)

Thanks DIESEL, I'm going to try and do it tonight, but if it doesn't work and the car sits on blocks I'll let you know.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:28 PM

i read somewhere that you could put the pressure plate and clutch on the tranny shaft and then line the tranny up with the motor and bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel through the starter
Old 08-11-2004, 05:38 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Removing/installing clutch w/out alignment tool??? (lazyassbrian)

you can find alignment tools at any auto parts store , i bought one at a local parts store a while ago
Old 08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just get the alignment tool. it makes things a lot easier
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2FAST4U831)

Just get an alignment tool to be safe. Do you want to pull the tranny again?