Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing headliner in 97 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing headliner in 97 civic?

need to know what all needs to be removed in irder to remove the headliner? the fabric is falling off mine and it needs to be redone. i needs to know what needs to be removed and how to remove it. i see there is a thread for removing it in 92-95 civic's but i heard it is different. not to mention half the threads in the FAQ's say " remove this in the picture" but the picture no longer shows.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Removing headliner in 97 civic?

what nobody actually knows?
Old 05-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its easy just pull the dome light cover off then remove the screw. Pry the two push clips in the back out with a hammer or something similar. Pull the little screw covers off the roof handles and remove screws. pry the rearview mirror mount cover off and remove 3 screws. remove visor screws and pull visors. along the back pry off the trim peice along the rear glass. move the front seats back and recline then to get the most room and work the headliner out. pull off the old fabric and the paper under it. Get some 3M high strength 90 and fabric of your choice and recover.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:27 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alphalanos
Its easy just pull the dome light cover off then remove the screw. Pry the two push clips in the back out with a hammer or something similar. Pull the little screw covers off the roof handles and remove screws. pry the rearview mirror mount cover off and remove 3 screws. remove visor screws and pull visors. along the back pry off the trim peice along the rear glass. move the front seats back and recline then to get the most room and work the headliner out. pull off the old fabric and the paper under it. Get some 3M high strength 90 and fabric of your choice and recover.
to add, when i did mine i had the side panels removed also, seemed like it would make it easier. after that its just clipped in
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM

thats what i was curious about. i would imagine it would be easier to take the rear side panels off also. if so, how do those come off? does the rear seat need to be removed in order to do so?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmpower363
thats what i was curious about. i would imagine it would be easier to take the rear side panels off also. if so, how do those come off? does the rear seat need to be removed in order to do so?

Forgot about that. You just need to pop the clips out they dont have to be completely removed. I just use my hands and get as close to the clip as possible and pull. theyre cheap to replace anyway (clips) the rear seats can stay in the panels just have to be somewhat loose.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 PM

hmm, ok. i think im gettin a better general idea. ill take a crack at it tomarrow.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 AM

I too am curious to how hard this is to do. Sounds easy enough.
I've seen a thread but it didn't really focus on the headliner to much.
Wondering how hard it would be and how it looks for a comparison.
You should snap some pics.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took mine out in less than 10mins. it actually took me longer to wrap it then to get it out. also if you gotta sunroof you gotta pull the rubber gasket off. and just pull the panels loose you dont have to take them out
Old 05-18-2009, 10:29 PM

got it done today. i should have takin some pictures. i will tomarrow. as of right now it sits with ever loose and some pieces i just took off to make it easier. soon as i get the headliner redone then ill put it all back together of course. however it was by far as easy as everyone claims. simple process yes.. but one hell of a pain in the ***. having ever panel overlap eachother all around didnt help either. but i got it figured out. the hardest part was trying to pry the panels loose. i broke only a couple clips in the process. well i wouldnt say broke but they fell off. however the 2 press clips in the back middle on the liner itself was the worst. those didnt want to come out for nothing. i completely tore those up getting them out. i think may just leave them out and for any reason i do need them again i can just poke a small hole where the hole is on the liner and just stick them back thro. ill put up pictures later or when i start working on it again. maybe do a "how to" since there isnt nothing for this. even tho it may be simple.

i wish i had a sun roof.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM

this is whats done so far. now i just need to decide on some fabric and get it done.

Name:  int1.jpg
Views: 16526
Size:  38.1 KB
Name:  int2.jpg
Views: 10390
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove the pillar paneling and back seat, and then you'll have exacly what i'm going for in my civic.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi everyone. does anyone know will fit the headliner from hatch to coupe? EK to EJ?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes hatch to hatch sedan to sedan will fit!!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread shall rise once again!!!

so a sedan headliner will fit a hatch, both ek?
might go get a clean one since it looks like the previous owners used to put out thier ciggs with my headliner
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for answers
Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/newreply.php?...ply&p=34554450

Originally Posted by AnotherEJ
So I wanted to redo my headliner after I saw it was starting to come loose and came across a headliner thread. No one had a DIY for one though and I searched and came up with nothing for a car with a sunroof and decided to make one.

The pictures aren't the best because I couldn't find the camera and had to use my phone I will try to find pictures for the beginning as a before reference to make it easier to follow.

I am missing pictures for some of the steps but its not that hard.

First remove the passenger handle/ooh crap bar on the roof, the clothes hook on the driver rear, the sun visors by removing the screws(duh)

Then remove the the cover around the rear view mirror by pulling down on either side. I don't have a picture but its just a little nub that sits in a notch on either side.

The last thing is to remove the dome light cover and take the two 8mm nuts out holding the done light up.

After all these things are removed there is nothing holding the headliner in, it is just resting on the side panels

Pop the panels out but lightly pulling them outwards so they slide out of the clips.
There is a plastic strip near the back windshield that pulls down(with the clips just like all other interior panels) and will come completely out.

Simply pull the panels down out of the way of the headliner and slide the headliner forwards toward the curvature of the windshield.
You will have to pull down on the headliner around the sunroof the get it around the rubber surrounding the edges of the sunroof opening.

I pulled the whole thing forward to get it free of the rear panels. Once it is free turn the liner sideways to get it out of the car.( If you fold your seats back its a lot easier to remove.

Headliner out.

Then the fun begins. Getting to the slide piece.
Pinch the clips that hold the brown hose on at each end and pull them off of the nipple.

Unhook the 2 connections for the sunroof motor

(there will also be a plastic clip holding the wire to the assemble that needs to be pushed out to get free)
There are two clips that hold the wires for the dome light to the assembly( dont have a picture) remove those also so the light hangs free of the assembly.

Remove the ten(I believe, maybe 8) 10mm bolts that hold the sunroof assembly in. Leave the 2 at the front and 2 at the rear in until last so it will not fall on you.

Once you are ready to lower it down if you have someone to help you hold it get them. If not, lean your seats up with your headrests as high as they will go.
Loosen the 2 rear bolts and remove the 2 front ones resting the assembly on the headrests.
Remove the rear 2 bolts and hold the assembly from falling down.
If you have someone to help you this is where you need them. It is not too heavy but very awkward to remove by yourself. I nicked my door getting it out by myself.

Assembly out

Next remove the 10mm bolts on each side(one per side) of the track for the slide piece.

Remove the bolt and fold that gold bracket up off of the stud so the bumpstop is clear of the track.

Pull up on the metal tubes containing the springs for the slide piece at the rubber grommets(in red) while sliding the slide piece out.

It might take some fighting but it should come easily.

Once its out unscrew the 2 screws from the back to remove the cup handle.

Now that everything is out you can start covering it with the fabric of your choosing

I chose this classic checkered design

Lay your fabric on top of your headliner and cut it to a little larger than the size of the liner.
Repeat for the slide piece.
One your fabric is the cut, lay it where you want it and fold one side over and spray your glue on the surface and a little on the fabric(not too much or it will soak through and you will be able to see it)
Let it sit a few minutes before you apply the fabric so the glue has time to get tacky.

I used Loctite maximum strength

Repeat with the headliner itself.
The easiest way is to hold up one half and work the bubbles out with one hand. If you work quickly you have time to peel the fabric back if you mess up.

Once you have it rubbed on there good trim the excess and cut slits around the corners and in the openings so the material can be folded over and glued down on the other side for extra hold.

I folded the pieces over and tested to make sure they would fold tight and not loose the curve of the backing. After the glue has had time to dry flip the headliner over and spray glue on the backing and the overlaying pieces of fabric and fold them over the back of the liner.
I dont have any pictures of this but once you get all the pieces folded over and glued its ready to dry over night.

I had already attached the slide handle on there after cleaning it up.

I wanted to cover up the factory backing on the slide piece as it was faded and looked terrible so I cut more material to shape and glued it to the side that would be sticking up to be seen through the sunroof.

With everything but the holes for the sun visors, rear view mirror and handle cut out.

Replace the slide piece in just like removal, holding up the tubes and sliding it back in the rails.
Fold the gold brackets back down and replace the 10mm nuts to hold them in place.

At this point you have to have assistance from someone else unless you have 4 arms and they can stretch out. 3 people is the best but it can be done with 2
Get on each side of the car and hold the sunroof assembly in place, while you thread in one bolt on each side with your hand. Then you will be able to let go and replace the rest of the bolts and tighten down the sunroof assembly.

The seal on mine didn't seem to fit as tight as it was before I removed it but once I slid it back then closed it again it sealed fine.

Replace the 2 connections and snap the holders back in for that wire and the wire for the dome light.

Put the brown hoses at each corner back on the nipple and clamp them back down.
Make sure everything is tight before you get the headliner back in.

Put the headliner in the car and hop on in there, Its easier if you start in the back I think and pull the panels down over the edge of the liner. it will rest on there so you can move to the front and pull those panels down out of the way and it will rest on there now.

Carefully hold the liner up and pop the panel clips back in by pushing or tapping on them with your fist.

Once the panels are in you can replace the sun visors, rear view mirror, clothes hanger and handle. Don't forget to pull the dome light back through the opening or it will be hard to get back out(I did this )
Replace the dome light bolts(two 8mms)

Push up on the liner while you run your finger or a phillips screwdriver(anything round) between the sunroof opening rubber and the liner to get it around it.
Once its around there push up on the liner again to make sure its seated well.

Double check your panels to ensure they are tight and your done!

Finished product.

The view from the top of the car.

I hope this helps someone out

Modified by AnotherEJ at 5:01 PM 7/7/2008
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is awesome but my question was about putting a sedan headliner in a hatch, or coupe to hatch
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awwww dope i gotta fix my headliner **** all falling out
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Trial User

hey do you really have to take out the sunroof?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the same for hatches? I would hate to remove all of that plastic interior stuff. Should the headliner just fall out of place after I remove all of the mentioned clips and fasteners?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
The Grumpiest

Easier for hatches.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^How so?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
The Grumpiest

Don't have to worry about the sunroof.

Quick Reply: Removing headliner in 97 civic?