Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

removing eg dash panel ( gray thing)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing eg dash panel ( gray thing)

I was wondering how you would remove the gray panel that has the deck and climate control in a eg.

\thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: removing eg dash panel ( gray thing)

It's a PITA. You have to remove radio/climate controls. THen, there are phillips screws from the back side that hold it on.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by polyhonda
I was wondering how you would remove the gray panel that has the deck and climate control in a eg.

\thanks
You need to remove the entire dash first, there are screws holding it in from the back. Theres also an open thread in which someone just asked this question less than 5 hours ago, should still be in the first 2 pages.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't remove the whole dash. Just took off the knee pad and used a skew driver, some stubby phillips screwdrivers, and a regular one. Took a while but I didn't have to pull the dash...
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is for 92-95 civics. Here's a link to the post: http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_370588/tm.htm

Here's how:
For starters, you have to be committed to take off the whole bezel (the thing that frames the heater control, cd player, and steering wheel.

If you aren't, then DON'T. It is a total bi**h to do.

Here's how:

1.Start by doing the easiest thing. Remove the cd player and the part below that (that has the coin tray and cig tray/lighter on it).

2.Remove the kick panel (the thing your knee hits when you are sitting)

3.Remove the metal 'safety' bar that is behind the kick panel.

4. Remove the Gauge bezel (to do this pop out hazard button [it pops out], remove all screws. The bezel frame should come out. It's attached by clips and the screws you removed) Then unscrew the guage bezel and remove it.

5. Now for the second hardest part. Remove the heater control unit. (It's easy if you do it a lot, which I do, but whatever) You basically have to do yoga to get to the screws that hold the unit in. There are three, i think. Two are near the front underneath. The other is near the back underneath. Once unscrewed, remove the metal wire (that controls the temp setting). Please don't bend it too much. Now you can pull out the unit.

Recap:
You removed the cd player, the heater control unit above that, the coin tray/cig tray/lighter piece below those, hazard switch, and guage bezel.

Now that your dash it completely in pieces you can get to the damn screws that hold the main bezel to the dash.

6. There are 7 or 9 screws that hold the bezel on. I suggest to use a small mirror to find them before you go nuts. You had to remove all of those parts to get a screwdrive at the proper angle to remove them. Get a collection on phillips screwdrivers handy. Get a short one, long one, angled one, any kinds you can the get the right angle. Once you get all the screws you're done.

Please allow a day or two to get this done. If you have never removed these things, it will take a long time.

Feel free to ask any questions whenever. I would suggest for you to get a Chiltan's manual or a cheap haynes manual to fit some pics of the insides.

GOOD LUCK!

Disclaimer:
You acknowledge that I shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of, or reliance upon, any such information, material, products, or services.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda did make it a bit tough to get out that bezel and the one from the ek. Just be patient and follow the instructions above.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just follow the directions. It's not that hard.