Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing A/C

I searched but couldn't find anything related. I know there are many posts discussing this because I've read it before but I can't figure out how to search properly. I tried anything with "a/c" in the search to no avail.

My question is, how do I release the freon in the system (myself) and how do I remove the A/C completely and safely.

PS: If you have a link or a proper keyword I should use in search let me know.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing A/C (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I searched but couldn't find anything related. I know there are many posts discussing this because I've read it before but I can't figure out how to search properly. I tried anything with "a/c" in the search to no avail.

My question is, how do I release the freon in the system (myself) and how do I remove the A/C completely and safely.

PS: If you have a link or a proper keyword I should use in search let me know.

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to recycle the refrigerant with the proper system. Everything else, after that can just be pulled off.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing A/C (Bcuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to recycle the refrigerant with the proper system. Everything else, after that can just be pulled off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops. My friend and I just took a phillips screwdriver and pushed down on the thing that looks like a stem on a tire. Pop off the blue top, push down on the pin with a screwdriver and the freon comes out.

We opened a window and the garage door, let the freon out, then went to lunch to let the garage air out.

After the freon is out we unbolted the cooler (radiator looking thing), unplugged all the connectors connected to it, undid whatever lines were connected to it, including the one by where your intake is, and then pulled out the cooler.

Then we undid the wingnut on the compressor and some other bolts that hold the compressor to the mount, slipped the compressor out, and then zip tied the belt out of the way.

Vola! No more AC.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I just removed my A/C.

I put a rag on top of those "needle" looking things and pressed with a screwdriver. Some spray started coming out, then later on some liquid/spray and finally some yellow ****.

I removed compressor and since I'm doing front motor mounts right now (urethane, home made) I removed the whole front motor mount so that eased up removing the compressed. Now all that's left is removing the pipe that goes from the intake to the firewall (by battery).

Now I have an A/C system for sale if someone wants it. I'll let go of the whole thing for cheap. Compressor/belt/freon can/lines/freon cooler+fan/harness for $100. If you can pick it up that's even better. I'm willing to drive up to 50 miles. Area code: 60056.

If someone want it, let me know.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to say, the A/C worked great before I removed. I don't use it so I removed it. Less clutter in engine compartment.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone want the A/C?