Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing belts for power?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing belts for power?!?!

Hey, couple buddies of mine that have swaps told me to remove my power steering belt and a/c belt to give me a lil more hp. One guy i kno does not even have the power steering pump. I did it and i can tell a bit of a difference. Is this a good idea? Tell me what ya think.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (4FoRaLL)

do you mind driving with no PS or AC.?... if you dont mind.. sure its a good idea.. free up a couple HP... decrease parasitic loss........... if you like PS and AC then no its not a good idea....
Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (jethawk)

without p/s and a/c it does make your engine bay much nicer
Old 04-03-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (dohcVTECeg2)

Ok, you will get more power.. but it's terrible with no PS and AC.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (nutchee)

no ps is easy to get use to, and you get really strong arms. but without ac driving in the rain can be trouble some because the windows fog up and ac really kills the fog.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (civiccpedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no ps is easy to get use to, and you get really strong arms. but without ac driving in the rain can be trouble some because the windows fog up and ac really kills the fog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not to thread jack and someone correct me if i'm wrong, the a/c does nothing for the defog, it only comes on because during the winter your not using your a/c and the coolant/oil needs to be circulated so it won't **** anything up.

also the Hp gain for removing the accessories is not much 1-2 hp at the flywheel. the a/c doesn't even need to be removed unless the a/c is being used since the belt turns the compressor when it's on. there is a more of a "performance" gain by comepltely removing the a/c because you save about 50 pounds
Old 04-03-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (4FoRaLL)

well my car doesnt have power steering or an A/C. but we did a swap on my friends car and yes we took all that stuff off. i dont know if i t helps with HP though maybe just less weight.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (civtecek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _OEM_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not to thread jack and someone correct me if i'm wrong, the a/c does nothing for the defog, it only comes on because during the winter your not using your a/c and the coolant/oil needs to be circulated so it won't **** anything up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, i know from experience that while driving in the rain, my car will fog up, if i just put on the defroster on full tilt with no ac. (hot or cold) my car will still be foggy, if i turn on the ac the windows almost immediatly unfog.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, i know from experience that while driving in the rain, my car will fog up, if i just put on the defroster on full tilt with no ac. (hot or cold) my car will still be foggy, if i turn on the ac the windows almost immediatly unfog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can 2nd this. It's one of the nifty lil things I learned on HT. I always thought my defroster was shitty, so I tried it with the AC on and it works so much better.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (nota-ex)

its all in the way AC works with moisture in the air... etc.. if you search it, you will find the explanation from someone or somewhere, like google... from "experts."

AC is the king of defrost... which is why it should come on automatically when you select that golden defrost setting for your windshield.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, i know from experience that while driving in the rain, my car will fog up, if i just put on the defroster on full tilt with no ac. (hot or cold) my car will still be foggy, if i turn on the ac the windows almost immediatly unfog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OWNED!!! haha learn something new everyday
Old 04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (_OEM_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _OEM_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to thread jack and someone correct me if i'm wrong, the a/c does nothing for the defog, it only comes on because during the winter your not using your a/c and the coolant/oil needs to be circulated so it won't **** anything up.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the AC removes moisture in the car so it does make a big difference for fog

but guess what, so does cracking a window. its not dangerous to not have AC if its raining, just crack a window and you wont fog up.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (Kamin)

that doesn't always help if its pouring and u and a couple of buddies ran out of a strip club (actully being chased out) and jump into your "not so roomy" hatchback and your fogging the interior up real bad from breathing all heavy and being all sweaty you can have all the windows down and it will still be extra foggy. this happened to me about 5yrs ago. so A/C is a must have when its raining.

but if its drizzling your in a roomy accord sedan and u crack a window and your body temp is normal (no excessive sweating & breathing from being chased by bouncers!) then sure the windows wont fog and the outside air comming in will do the trick... but chances are if your in a roomy accord sedan you'de have a A/C.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing belts for power?!?! (brianmvalentine)

TO DEHUMIDIFY AND DEFOG WITH A/C Air conditioning removes moisture from the air as it operates. You cand use it to defog the windows quickly in cool or damp weather. used in combination with the heater, it also makes the interior warm and dry. This setting is best for all driving conditions whenever the outside temperature is aabove 32F(0c). 1. set the fan to a medium speed. 2.Turn on the air conditioning. 3. Select any desired mode button face and footwell is best. 4. Adjust the temperature control lever so the mixture of heated and cooled air is at a comfortable temperature. HONDA OWNER'S MANUAL
Old 04-04-2005, 10:49 AM

Well ok. I can live without the silly A/C and P/S not that bad. Thx for the input.