Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removed alarm car doesn't stay running. (2 stray wires under dash fuse panel)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed alarm car doesn't stay running. (2 stray wires under dash fuse panel)

Ok I purchased a 1995 ex from a pal w/out a running motor. I swapped in a known good running motor from my previous car. I know the car is getting spark and the car is getting fuel.

Here is what is new:
fuel pump
screen
fuel filter
spark plugs
plug wires
fuel rail
injectors
fpr

The car previously had an alarm installed (hack job!!!!) so it was sort of already removed when I got it so I went ahead and removed it 100%. When done there were 2 wires left stray.. a red/green and a white/green wire behind the fuse panel under my dash. There does not seem to be a wire anywhere cut that they may mate too so I assume they were de-pinned and soldered into whatever for the alarm?

The 2 stray wires are almost the same length as 2 clips in the back of the fuse panel so I assume they should go there? I am completely unsure and have no clue where these 2 wires go. Any help is greatly appreciated. If it helps the car runs by force.. spraying fuel/starter fluid into the throttle body but once the spraying stops the car dies. Could these 2 stray wires be my problem?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removed alarm car doesn't stay running. (2 stray wires under dash fuse panel)

Get yourself a wiring diagram.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removed alarm car doesn't stay running. (2 stray wires under dash fuse panel)

like where? I've searched.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yellow/Green wire from the igniter unit in the distributor then changes into the Red/Green wire at connector C212, I believe. Or Red/Green wire actually the Red/Blue wire from the TPS?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well we can spray fuel/starter fluid into the car and it runs but once we stop spraying it dies. That would not be anything to do w/the igniter would it?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Moch@
Well we can spray fuel/starter fluid into the car and it runs but once we stop spraying it dies. That would not be anything to do w/the igniter would it?
No its doesn't BUT I have a feeling that car might have some hacked up wiring. You might have to trace that back to where it resides. Do you know where that was plugged into on the alarm unit? I am going based on the wiring diagram for the Civic.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Do the hazard lights and turn signals work?

Do all 4 injector clips get battery voltage with the key in ON(II)?

Does the fuel pump prime?

Any CEL codes?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No they were cut already when I got the car. Everything else has been placed how it should minus these 2 wires.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Do the hazard lights and turn signals work?
all light's work, get's fuel, get's spark, taillight's work interior light's etc.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something is not letting it to continue running after we force fuel into the manifold. I assume the wires were cut or whatever to run a fuel cut off? maybe some sort of kill switch thing?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something is not letting it to continue running after we force fuel into the manifold. I assume the wires were cut or whatever to run a fuel cut off? maybe some sort of kill switch thing?
Its hard to say, if this was me, I would trace the cable to be 100% sure. Once you know where it originates, we can tell you what to do.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know the car is getting...fuel.

spraying fuel/starter fluid into the throttle body but once the spraying stops the car dies.
get's fuel
Your bolded text^ clearly indicates a fuel problem. So what do you mean by it gets fuel?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your bolded text^ clearly indicates a fuel problem. So what do you mean by it gets fuel?
What I'm saying is the when I turn the key the pump/relay both work. The fuel get's to the motor. The fuel is getting to the rail and to the injectors but it wont stay running. I'll remove the rail/injectors and fuel pours out so I know it is getting to the motor.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only way for me to trace the wire is to take it all out. My pal has a dx hatch so we tried pulling his fuse panel out and sourcing these 2 wires. However he doe snot have either one!

Also the 2 wires you can see come from the same bundle of wires that go into the green clips for the backside of the fuse panel. Also I doubt it matters since I do not know the brand alarm or system it had installed but the 2 wires still have the wiring from the alarm soldered to them.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I'm saying is the when I turn the key the pump/relay both work. The fuel get's to the motor. The fuel is getting to the rail and to the injectors but it wont stay running.
Again, all the information you've provided clearly point to a fuel problem, specifically the fuel injectors most likely are not spraying fuel into the cylinders.

Do the fuel injector clips get battery voltage?

I'll remove the rail/injectors and fuel pours out so I know it is getting to the motor.
Pours out of where?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try joining them and see what happens
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmem205
try joining them and see what happens
Too risky until you know what the wires are for.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only way for me to trace the wire is to take it all out. My pal has a dx hatch so we tried pulling his fuse panel out and sourcing these 2 wires. However he doe snot have either one!

Also the 2 wires you can see come from the same bundle of wires that go into the green clips for the backside of the fuse panel. Also I doubt it matters since I do not know the brand alarm or system it had installed but the 2 wires still have the wiring from the alarm soldered to them.
Read this thread:

http://www.htarchive.net/showthread.php?t=2970058

The two disconnected wires are for the OEM security system. Just leave them disconnected. They're not causing your problem.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, all the information you've provided clearly point to a fuel problem, specifically the fuel injectors most likely are not spraying fuel into the cylinders.

Do the fuel injector clips get battery voltage?

Pours out of where?
It will pour out of the rail when I unbolt and separate from the injectors. I replaced w/working injectors from a pals car so I know it isn't the actual injectors. I'll see if the clips are getting anything.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It will pour out of the rail when I unbolt and separate from the injectors. I replaced w/working injectors from a pals car so I know it isn't the actual injectors. I'll see if the clips are getting anything.

Right, just because the fuel rail gets fuel doesn't mean the cylinders do. So you should now focus on determining whether the injector clips get battery voltage and, if so, whether they also get ground from the ECU.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

listen to this guy even tho he hasn't pm'ed me back lol he will save you a few headaches
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. how do I go about testing the clips?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. how do I go about testing the clips?
You need a digital multimeter.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I have one of those.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post a picture of the meter. Do you know how to use it to measure DC volts? Does it have a continuity test setting?

Quick Reply: Removed alarm car doesn't stay running. (2 stray wires under dash fuse panel)