Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Remote Start for a 5 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start for a 5 Speed

Hey All, its starting to get cold as hell here in Ohio, so I was trying to find some info on a remote starter. What are my options since my car is a 5speed? Do I need to bypass the clutch somehow? Or is there a kit thats designed for 5speed cars? I have minimal amount of knowledge when it comes to electical wiring, so would someone like me be able to install one of these? Any input would be appreciated, thanks fellas.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Remote Start for a 5 Speed (SLATER97EX)

you need to bypass your clutch saftey switch it should be in the manual for the kit for how to do it.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Remote Start for a 5 Speed (99blackcivicSi)

word, what 99blackcivicSi said. I don't have remote start on my car (5spd), but the wires for the clutch safety switch is disabled.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote Start for a 5 Speed (ek9 ferio)

I dont have a kit though, so I don't know what to do....any recommendations? I'd like to get something that has keyless/remote start all in one. Are there any tutorials out there on how to do all this? My search turned up nothing. Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you get it done plz don't park it in any gear but neutral or else you can wave your car bye bye
Old 11-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ve had remote start on my old eg. Left it in gear a couple of times and then you see running like a idiot chasing donw my car. I had clifford concept 400 alarm.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (locass316)

there are ways to safeguard against the car trying to start if in gear on a manual tranny car.my old roommate works at a car audio shop,and made up somthing for his Del Sol..BTW-most shops will not install them on manual tranny cars.
chris
Old 11-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

lol, well I never park my car in gear, always in N....but back to my main questions...Does anyone have this done on their 5speed, and can they give me some info about it? And whats a good mildly priced kit to buy? I appreciate the responses so far, Thanks!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here in VA it is illegal to do remote start on a 5 speed. it is possible though. you need clutch switches and there is a way to use clutch switches by your shifter so you dont go chasin your car down the strret. unfortunately i dont know how to do it. if you know someone at an audio shop that is good they can prolly help you out
Old 11-09-2003, 07:51 AM

Get yourself a Clifford Avantguard 4. Comes with a remote start module that communicates digitally with the brain and is designed for manual tranny applications.

Let me try and explain how it works. The alarm has a turbo timer feature built in to wear you hit one of the buttons on the remote before turning the car off, wait 2 seconcs for the parking lights to come on, turn off ignition and remove keys, car should stay running, get out of car and arm alarm with car running, and then just hit the turbo timer button on the remote again and it will shut off with the alarm armed and you can remote start it when ready. If you don't go through these steps it won't remote start for you. By being out of the car with the alarm armed and car running it insures that it was in neutral. It works pretty good.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

will starting it without the clutch be bad for the car?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:57 AM

Won't be bad on the car to start without the clutch. A lot of cars don't have a clutch safety switch and most Toyota's have a clutch bypass switch.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

thanks
may get one, but has to stop being poor
Old 11-09-2003, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (blackhatchy)

ive had a crimestopper alarm with remote start in my 5 speed for a year and half now. never had any problems. but if you have no experience with alarms i would not recomend trying this yourself.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (96civ4doorb16a2)

i have the viper 790xv which is a alarm/keyless entry/remote starter with a pager... alarm works great, had it installed at tweeter and they wouldnt install the remote start feature for liability reasons. wouldnt even let me sign a waiver. so i opted out of it... saved $25 though

oh btw i have a 5 speed
Old 11-09-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Re: (civic_tko)

I have the 790 also, try searching ebay for one, they usually go for $210-250
Old 11-09-2003, 09:35 AM

I had purchased a CompuSTAR alarm, and it came with remote start. My friend who had installed the alarm for me, had to make it so you don't need the clutch to start the car. It is really good to use, my car is ncie and warm in the morning when I goto work...

I think the best way to do it is to purchase an alarm..... Lata
Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM

its illegal in NY to have a remote start on a manual car so look into the local laws first.. its not worth the risk . i park my car in gear and now its habit .. if i had a remote start my car would hop into whatever i park near.. its not wirth the risk .. **** it starty uyour car an go back inside freeze your ***** off for a few seconds .. it aint worth risking body damage
Old 11-09-2003, 04:02 PM

i think you could use any alarm system out there as long as it has a auxilary wire that gives out a negative or ground pulse when the remote start is activated. when you get the alarm all you have to do is hook up that wire to the black or blue clutch switch wire(don't remember which one) and by doing this it will ground out the switch bypassing it when you hit the remote start button and the car will start up. i have the aladdin 2000 alarm and it also has the turbo timer feature and the clutch bypass wire, so when you pull up the e-brake and press the brake pedal you take the key out and the siren will chirp. then the car will stay on and all you have to do is arm it and the car will turn off and the alarm will arm. they do it like that so you can't leave the car in gear. there is no possible way to screw up, obviously you can't get out the car while its runnning and still in gear.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: (vtec94civic)

why don't you just cut the wire that you have to bypass? .... that way you don't have to press your clutch in when you start your vehicle, and you can wire your remote start............ just a thought
Old 11-09-2003, 04:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Look into a CompuStar. I had one installed about 3 years ago. I got the alarm to go along with it. Cost me $700 installed. Well worth it though. BTW it's on a 00 Si. There's a certain way you have to shut the car off for the auto start to be armed and able to start the car. If the auto start brain isn't sure that the car is on neutral and the E Brake is up, it won't let you start the car. Only system that was OK'ed by the insurance companies when installed by a qualified installer.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FrozenSi)

Exactly.... CompuStar is the perfect remote started for those that have a manual transmission. They have a manual transmission mode. And just as FrozenSi says there is a sequence that must be completed in order for it to remote start when you want it to. You come to a stop, turn the key off *if in neutral the car remains running* and get out of the vehicle. Once you shut the door the car shuts off, then locks itself. It is now ready to be remote started *notice because of the sequence there is no way to remote start your vehicle while in gear*. Also if you disrupt this sequence, unlock the door with just the key, or several other variables it will also not start when you want it to. There are different models of the CompuStar.... the two way paging unit that I have and that I believe FrozenSi is talking about which will run you around 700 installed, but there are also lesser units that come with this same mt mode. Hope that helps.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:18 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (btleier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btleier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You come to a stop, turn the key off *if in neutral the car remains running* and get out of the vehicle. Once you shut the door the car shuts off, then locks itself. It is now ready to be remote started *notice because of the sequence there is no way to remote start your vehicle while in gear*. Also if you disrupt this sequence, unlock the door with just the key, or several other variables it will also not start when you want it to. There are different models of the CompuStar.... the two way paging unit that I have and that I believe FrozenSi is talking about which will run you around 700 installed, but there are also lesser units that come with this same mt mode. Hope that helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually I think you have to stop the car, pull the ebrake then into neutral, let out clutch, pull key. It's actually the Ebrake pulling that gets the remote start thing armed. You close the door, car shuts off and the alarm arms itself. You can disarm the alarm all you want to and re-arm. You'll still be able to auto start. But as soon as you open any door of the car you'll have to start the car up again and repeat the auto start arming process. It's a safety thing like my fellow North Dakotan already mentioned. I like the system. 1/4 mile range in a wide open area with no obstructions. Supposedly there's a 3/4 mile one out now. I have a 2 way paging model from about 3 years ago. It's kinda nice because if your alarm gets set off and you're within range the pager will go off and let you know what happened to the car. Also you can push a button and check the status of your car any time you want to. If you have any questions about the system, PM me or I'm sure btleier will help you out too. He seems to kow his ****.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:31 PM

my friend had remote start on his bmw and i was standing between it and an suv and i started it but it was in gear so i got smashed between the bimmer and suv... it hurt
Old 11-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right.... I take a couple of those little things for granted.... such as pulling the e-brake... I just assume that's the way everyone does it, since that's what I always do I think on the very newest high end CompuStar they claim a bit over a mile of range

From their website:
This Series is the most recent product introduced by Firstech. It is a two-way communication remote pager that incorporates a unique LCD, liquid crystal display, to provide full surveillance of ones vehicle. Due to the unique modulation of this system, based off of Spread Spectrum technology, we are able to provide a range of up to 6000 feet.

CompuSTAR is the first system on the market that incorporates this ground breaking technology into security and remote start systems for ones vehicle. Spread Spectrum Technology has been kept top secret for many years. In fact, spread spectrum radio communications has long been a favorite of the military because of its transparent qualities. Likewise, because this form of modulation prevents jamming and is hard for enemy interception, it will also provide unmatched security and protection for ones vehicle.

The 2WSS-Series comes in the following models:

2WSS-AS (two-way spread spectrum alarm/starter combo)

2WSS-S (two-way spread spectrum starter only)

2WSS-A (two-way spread spectrum alarm only)

Information and pics on this and other systems can be found at...
http://www.compustar.org/

Quick Reply: Remote Start for a 5 Speed