Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

remote engine cutoff...does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote engine cutoff...does it exist?

is there such a thing as a remote engine cutoff?

like when you actually see a thief driving your car, you have a remote to turn off the ignition of the car and immobilize it for the time being. does anybody sell anything like this? this would be really helpful
Old 01-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (KockAsian)

I would imagine it could be done, or has been done, just modify a power lock kit to send a pulse to some sort of kill relay.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (saywhat)

Lo-jack or some thing like that, or else have GM put Onstar in your car. But Lo-jack is what you want.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (Lee_Delso)

I don't think lojack has a remote kill switch. All lojack is, is a tracking beacon that the police use to find your stripped car.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think lojack has a remote kill switch. All lojack is, is a tracking beacon that the police use to find your stripped car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man that sucks is it even worth it to have and do you have to subscribe (pay monthly fees)?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (SirRevvs)

Or what would be REALLY awesome, since remote control range sucks, is try and wire a cell phone/receiving unit to a kill switch. So you can have a # to call if your car is ever stolen, and it will remotely kill the car, and couldnt be restarted until reset. lol Who knows if its even possible, but would be pretty neat, because then no matter how far the theives had gotten, they'd be dead in their tracks once you killed it, and couldnt move the car unless they knew how to reset it?

Probably not feasible or practical, but would be pretty neat IMO.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (SirRevvs)

My friend has a clifford (I think) alarm on his hemi dodge ram. He can call a number and lock/unlock his car, roll the windows up and down, and start his truck. You can also kill the engine but it won't do it until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. I'll try to get the modle number for you.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (jlacoy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or what would be REALLY awesome, since remote control range sucks, is try and wire a cell phone/receiving unit to a kill switch. So you can have a # to call if your car is ever stolen, and it will remotely kill the car, and couldnt be restarted until reset. lol Who knows if its even possible, but would be pretty neat, because then no matter how far the theives had gotten, they'd be dead in their tracks once you killed it, and couldnt move the car unless they knew how to reset it?

Probably not feasible or practical, but would be pretty neat IMO. </TD></TR></TABLE>

When you find out how to do that one make sure to do a DIY post to follow up. lol
Old 01-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Yeah I'll let you know when my R&D is done. So far I'm thinking all I'll need is some pieces of wire, a roll of ducttape, and a cellphone SIM card. Once I get the full conversion kit put together I'll be selling them like hotcakes!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:17 PM

if people in movies can call a cell phone a detonate a bomb, im sure somebody can make one that will kill the engine. lol
Old 01-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: (KockAsian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or what would be REALLY awesome, since remote control range sucks, is try and wire a cell phone/receiving unit to a kill switch. So you can have a # to call if your car is ever stolen, and it will remotely kill the car, and couldnt be restarted until reset. lol Who knows if its even possible, but would be pretty neat, because then no matter how far the theives had gotten, they'd be dead in their tracks once you killed it, and couldnt move the car unless they knew how to reset it?

Probably not feasible or practical, but would be pretty neat IMO. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Definitely make a post on how to do that. A lot of people have started chop shops around Coatesville and are stealing cars from our school. I don't wanna loose mine...
Old 01-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i have seen a few pager alarms with starter kills, of course this is diff from an engine kill but hey it helps

also i believe lojack does have an engine kill system, it is the more expensive of their two system, i think like 899 or smfn, anyway im pretty sure they have it. I remember cause i emailed them a while back asking what options i could get on my civic and that was included in one of the packages
Old 01-08-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

if you killed the car wouldnt that make them wanna strip it and sell the ****?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not if u killed it while they were on any type of road.....

no one strips a car in the middle of the road in plain view....

plus you would no WHERE they were if you had lojack, so not only would the car be dead, police would be enroute
Old 01-08-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

well in that case you gotta have lojack and the kill device
Old 01-08-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: (99hatch)

**** lojack. get a ignition kill and one of them gps watch you can track in your computer. lojack cant locate **** anyway. only after the car is stripped is when they work.

somebody make an ignition kill switch!!! im sure somebody in HT is an electronics master.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well in that case you gotta have lojack and the kill device</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup and that equals mucho denero, but if you put like 20k+ into ur car, its definitely worth it i say
Old 01-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how about rc car remotes, those things range better than alarm remotes imo... just downsides be that antenna... my 2 cents
Old 01-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the police had a thing where they wanted to install it on all new cars where they have a thing like a radar gun and they point it at your car and the piece that was installed on your car befor you bought it would shut off your engine, i saw it on tv and they actually have it but the fact that it would have to be installed on all cars was just out of the question so it never went threw so im sure it could be done

To understand the basic concept, imagine taking an absolutely standard, off-the-shelf, automatic garage door opener. Discard the motor and mechanism. Only keep the hand-held "zapper" transmitter and the radio receiver from the opener assembly. Instead of having the receiver actuate the motor of the garage door opener, just put it in a vehicle and connect it to an existing wire of any normal vehicle's computer. THAT'S IT!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.business2.com/b2/we....html

here is the real thing its been made and a company makes them
Old 01-08-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (KockAsian)

Most alarms will NOT have one, altho some better alarms have a car-jack feature which allows you to activate the alarm once the thief drives away, so they be driving and the alarm is blaring which would deffiently catch attention, MOST alarm companys dont use the remote kill because if the system were to fail or not work correctly it would kill while our driving and cause a severe proplem, aka hwy train tracks ext. so that is also why alarms allways cut off the starter and not the fuel pump.....
Old 01-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: (8y61d)

i belive they have something else there devoloping which is basicly a frisbe shot at high speed from the cruiser it has a strang electrical charge and once it hits the underbelly of the car it shorts everything out killing the car....
Old 01-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp

something similar, but no one will ever market a remote kill system. the liabilty is just too great.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (nocternaldragon)

I actually had this idea about a year ago after I was trying to make something else (autostarter or something), and it was already done. I'll give a quick explanation of how I did it.

1. Went out and got a pay-as-you-go phone and a $15 card for it.

2. Went to my local electronics shop and bought a low current switch (LCS). Basically, this LCS must be reset like a circut breaker in your house when it is popped. It is switched by very low or intermittent/sparatic current and sends 12v out (from constant power) when it is switched (actually, I hooked it up backwards to achieve this.) They retail for about $30CAD and are about half the size of a pencil.

3. I popped the cheap phone apart and ripped the ringer speaker off the board and soldered some thin wire from the speaker output to the LCS low current trigger. Also, I wired the phone's car charger to the electrical system so it would always be on and never die.

4. Wired the 12v output from the LCS to a relay (fuel pump or IG kill relay)

So, basically how it worked is when I called the cell phone, the current generated by the phone for the ringer speaker would actually pop this switch, which sent 12 volts to the switch source on a relay. The switch had to be physically reset before the 12v signal stopped. I never actually used it in this application for testing, but I got it to work on my workbench...
Old 01-09-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: remote engine cutoff...does it exist? (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

There is a viper alarm that you can call a number and it shuts off the car, so that has allready been done. I dont know the model# but Im sure if you go to a authorized dealer they have it.

Quick Reply: remote engine cutoff...does it exist?