Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

relocating battery

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocating battery

im trying to relocate my battery on my hatch i was wonderin what kind of wires will i need and if any one has a picture procedure they can tell me bout
also trying to relocate fusebox and ecu
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: relocating battery

For the battery you want like 1 gauge wire and a sealed box
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would get a relocation kit from summit or jegs. they come with everything needed.

as far as the fuse box and ecu goes thats quite a bit of work but fairly simple. out of curiosity though where/why would you move the ecu?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need a sealed box if you're running an AGM battery and not racing under any of the major sanctioning bodies. Any of the Odyssey batteries are top notch and a 100+ companies make every type of mounting hardware imaginable.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search. There are plenty of people who asked the exact same question in the relatively near past.

2G wire is enough for a battery relocation. Make sure you fuse it.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanna put it in the trunk but a friend of mine tolled me i can put it in the front bumper which one would be safer/better
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ecu i would put it in the glove box or unless theres other places to put it on
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your ecu is already under the glove box in the kick panel. unless you have something other than a civic?? putting it the glove box just makes it that much easier to steal.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they got kits for it on google
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nandito
the ecu i would put it in the glove box or unless theres other places to put it on
Why move it? It can cause problems, not mentioning all the wires you'd have to extend depending where you wanted to put it
Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nandito
i wanna put it in the trunk but a friend of mine tolled me i can put it in the front bumper which one would be safer/better
definetly not the front bumper. that just sounds like a horrible idea. what if you accidentally rear ended someone, no big deal right? till you get out look and your ecu is in pieces on the ground. if you could secure it in the trunk that would be okay i guess. but thats a lot of work and potential problems to just be able to say your ecu is in the trunk.

IMHO id leave it where its at. fuse box on the other hand if your skilled with a soldering iron do it. makes for a super clean looking bay.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by pwnsauce ek
definetly not the front bumper. that just sounds like a horrible idea. what if you accidentally rear ended someone, no big deal right? till you get out look and your ecu is in pieces on the ground. if you could secure it in the trunk that would be okay i guess. but thats a lot of work and potential problems to just be able to say your ecu is in the trunk.

IMHO id leave it where its at. fuse box on the other hand if your skilled with a soldering iron do it. makes for a super clean looking bay.
Reading comprehension failure. He's talking about putting his battery in the trunk/bumper, not his ECU.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Reading comprehension failure. He's talking about putting his battery in the trunk/bumper, not his ECU.
lol wow. my bad. still sounds like a bad idea though for the battery to be in the bumper.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pwnsauce ek
lol wow. my bad. still sounds like a bad idea though for the battery to be in the bumper.
It's usually in the fender.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remember relocating the battery in the fender will add extra work for the motor. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is why some relocate it in the trunk. Both are excellent picks. Try looking online for a relocate kit like someone else previously said
Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by EKNOOBLB
Remember relocating the battery in the fender will add extra work for the motor. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is why some relocate it in the trunk. Both are excellent picks. Try looking online for a relocate kit like someone else previously said
Why exactly would putting the battery in the fender "add extra work" for the motor? It doesn't.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i saw someone put a battery in there bumper they used a lawnmower/motorcycle battery and built a custom mount like a basket to hold the battery. in the area were a sidemount intercooler would go

as to the location incase of an accident ifits bad enough to screw the battery then the car is most likely screwed.

also if u had a hatch with a gutted interior u wouldnt want an ugly battery in the hatch puting i in the bumper would be a good way to keep it out of sight

and yes 2gauge will be good enough haha bunny
Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

More work? Please explain that theory. And, it was the bumper.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a my diagram i drew a while back
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I was you I'd put the battery in the trunk. It's safer, easier, and distributes weight better. As for the ecu and fuse box I can't help you there
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
More work? Please explain that theory. And, it was the bumper.
Yeah thanks for the correction 'bumperl lol. Not my theory. Iv read it a while back in this forume or another. A lighter front end mean less toll on the motor. I'm not good at explaining these things but it makes sense to me. If anyone have any proof that this doesn't effect toll or whatever else tell me. Hate to be looking stupid. HAPPY 4TH PEOPLE
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by BIGSTEVE147
If I was you I'd put the battery in the trunk. It's safer, easier, and distributes weight better. As for the ecu and fuse box I can't help you there
Safer? Only if you have a sealed, solid cell battery. Otherwise, it actually runs the risk of being more dangerous. Do you know what gasses a standard auto battery releases under normal use, and how dangerous those gasses are?

Easier? If you do both correctly, they're both equally as difficult. Granted, most people won't actually do a trunk relocation correctly, so sure, I'll give you that one.

Distributes weight better? Just for kicks, I just did a quick Google for battery weights. A high performance battery made in the correct size for our cars weighs a wopping 55 lbs. Moving that around your car does about as much to your weight distribution as moving the driver's seat.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you put it in the area under the bumper corner use a sealed AGM battery, odyssey actually makes a bracket specifically for doing this. You can get the same performance as a heavy flooded cell battery,with about half the weight, no outgassing, and in a wreck acid won't be flying everywhere. make sure if you put it in the trunk that you use a maxifuse or a breaker right at the battery, they make breakers specifically for batteries. You don't want to risk your car going up in flames due to a short
Old 07-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put it in the trunk if you can as said above.
Leave your ECU where it is.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont touch the ecu and just put the hattery in the back or in the bumper. N no it doesnt mess with weight if the battery was already in the front. Why would it cause strain if its like i dont know ALREADY in the engine bay.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: relocating battery