Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Relocate air intake to the front of the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocate air intake to the front of the engine?

Wouldn't it be cool if you can custom your own air intake to where it curves towards the front where your ac is suppose to be? lets say you have an eg or ek and you dont have ac.. wouldnt that be a great place to face ur air intake right in the empty spot where the grill is? I mean would it make a big difference since cool air is directly going into the air intake as you step on the throttle and the car is going faster? I think I seen skunk2 did that to one of their B series eg or ek.. i forget.. oh and this is for a B series not k series since I know K series already does that..
Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (raidacaipo)

somebody already thought of that before u bud...

http://www.ppsonline.net/airintake_FrontMount.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (hard_boiled_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hard_boiled_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somebody already thought of that before u bud...

http://www.ppsonline.net/airintake_FrontMount.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>
omg dude this is so cool!! I think Ima order one but I wanna know will it make a difference? will get more hp??
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM

lets us know how it goes
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
omg dude this is so cool!! I think Ima order one but I wanna know will it make a difference? will get more hp??</TD></TR></TABLE>

i highly doubt it will make any hp differencers...maybe like 1? all you will really do would be to get colder air to your motor...which is a good thing.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (mini_EG)

haha those fuggin things have been around forever.

biggest piece of ricer-roni ever. lolz.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (mormonboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mormonboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha those fuggin things have been around forever.

biggest piece of ricer-roni ever. lolz. </TD></TR></TABLE>
really??? is it ricey? I seen skunk2 did it to there cars.. but then again like everyone says if it barely gives u 1 hp then I wouldnt order it.. Instead Ill make my own for way cheaper and see how it performs with pipes from home depot or something. :]
Old 06-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in for pics of skunk2 adding a ricer-roni front mount intake..
Old 06-20-2008, 07:31 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hard_boiled_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somebody already thought of that before u bud...

http://www.ppsonline.net/airintake_FrontMount.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really??? is it ricey?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh! I remember those things....

1) They're designed to *look* like a turbocharger intercooler...

2) They actually provided a slight, measurable boost effect @ say 100+ MPH, if you took the air filter out.

3) They came with a plastic slide-in that you could use when it rained, to keep your motor from hydro'ing, unlike 'normal' CAIs.

Sooooo... I'd judge them to be showy, ricey, and practical - all at the same time!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're really overestimating the added HP given to a motor by a cold air intake...really.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (mormonboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mormonboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in for pics of skunk2 adding a ricer-roni front mount intake.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a pic of an Arospeed...

SOURCE

Old 06-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

commonly referred to as an interfooler (at least by me)

money/time is better spent elsewhere.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly what I was about to say^. We always called them InterFOOLers. Gay gay gay.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're really overestimating the added HP given to a motor by a cold air intake...really.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure who you're replying to but...

I'd say ppl running short intakes - sucking air from the hottest spot in their car (the engine compartment) are "fooling" themselves, e.g. "overestimating the added HP given", as you said.

Why?

When they need 'cold air' the most - on launch - they've usually been sitting at a stoplight (street) or starter tree (strip) for a while - and the air in the engine compartment is boiling hot - especially if they're running unwrapped tube headers!!!

A 'normal' CAI setup would be infinitely preferable to a short intake in this situation - a front mount CAI even better...

Personally, I've always used a stock air box with a K&N panel filter - with the OUTSIDE BOTTOM of the air box partially removed. The air behind the passenger side headlight isn't all that hot - Honda engineers provided a nice big air hole there - plus I don't have to worry about hydro'ing my motor in rain storms. However...

There's NO bragging rights with a stock air box (or short intake IMHO)!

To those ends, a CAI wins every time, and appearance-wise nothing beats a front mount "Interfooler".
Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

well as everyone know the k series motor has been turned around. FINALLY in the right direction as other imports. and the air intake is right in front of the grill which means its getting direct air coming from the front.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here's a pic of an Arospeed...

SOURCE

</TD></TR></TABLE>
now this car looks ricey. LOL and it looks like fake turbo intercooler.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hence, interFOOLER.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (99_hb_on_air)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99_hb_on_air &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hence, interFOOLER. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, come on, you guys...

It's no worse than hanging $400 JDM fogs off the front of a USDM sh!tbox, yes?

LoL!

Why does this mod offend everybody so much?!?!?

I digress... This reminds me of a chick I know.

She's into the 'Street Scene' NOT imports and is highly offended that I bump hip-hop in my "Euro" - her words, not mine!

It seems, in 'Street' terms, there's two kinds of cars, low-riders and euros.

'M' says I'm supposed to be bumping "peckerwood white boy music", like house, alternative, dance, et cetera, NOT hip-hop, and doing so in a "little Honda racer" makes me look like a fool...

Soooo, I guess it's all relative!

Anyway, while front mount CAIs aren't my cup o' tea, I still don't get all the angst...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (mini_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mini_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly doubt it will make any hp differencers...maybe like 1?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Caveat emptor - Street Styler isn't the most reputable online vendor out there...

SOURCE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Arospeed Cold Front Intake Systems are designed to be mounted in the front of the vehicle, allowing cool, clean air to enter the intake system. Features a removable lexan window that helps protect the filter element from hazards, however it can be removed for race purposes. Removing this cover adds an extra 2-4 HP and improves flat spots in 4th and 5th Gear because of the Air Induction.

This intake provides a total 10-15 HP gain. Because it is front mounted, it acts like a Cold Air Intake but with a Ram Air Induction. We have several customers who had Cold Air Intakes before(AEM) call us back and said this intake improved their performance and would recommend it to everyone who was in the market for a Cold Air Intake. Installation is the same as a Cold Air Intake and all hardware is provided. Intake comes in 2 boxes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Relocate air intake to the front of the engine? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

i remember horsepower TV put one on there civic and it gained 4hp on a D-series i do believe.. and i cant wait for it to get wet!!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I made my own cold air intake by using a short ram intake and filter, then surrounding the filter with a plastic coffee can, then running some heater pipe down to the pasenger side fog light hole. That way my intake isn't in my fender well.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Personally, I've always used a stock air box with a K&N panel filter - with the OUTSIDE BOTTOM of the air box partially removed. The air behind the passenger side headlight isn't all that hot - Honda engineers provided a nice big air hole there - plus I don't have to worry about hydro'ing my motor in rain storms. However...

There's NO bragging rights with a stock air box (or short intake IMHO)!

To those ends, a CAI wins every time,
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the bold, works just fine. and works even nicer on a eg(coupe/hatch) cause you can cut some of the plastic for the fog light area to get more air in that air hole. and if you want some CAI effect to go along with that just run some dryer ducting from home depot. run it straight from the bottom of your intake box straight to the open vents(or hole if you cut out the plastic grill) and there you go.