Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reliability/weekend track car Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability/weekend track car Is it possible?

Is it possible to have a very reliable DD as well as a weekend track car?
I have a stock b16 eg coupe, with some bolt ons, and i want to go all motor for a bit then turbo it. Would you still be able to build it being reliable as well has having a turbo on it?

Also would it be better to work the b16 or go poor mans type R..
Im looking to get at LEAST 200whp at the least. But i want it to be reliable, and daily driven.
How much would i be putting out with a poor mans type r?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Reliability/weekend track car Is it possible?

If you build for an all motor setup, ideally you would be raising the compression. Going turbo later would require another rebuild since you would want low compression for reliability. You should plan for either all motor OR boost if you want to save yourself time and money.

As far as reliability is concerned, its all in the build and tune. It depends how much money you want to spend.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM

well if you build it with OEM specs then yes. Keeping the stock geometry is a good idea for reliability. If honda built it that way, then it was for a good reason. My teacher runs a gsr turbo. Darton sleeved but stock size. Stock crank, forged rods and low compression pistons. STOCK head, crank pulley and cam gears. The motor has 40k on it and runs stock. Oh and he also puts out 320whp.

So if you keep that in mind. Build a solid foundation (i.e. the block [sleeves, pistons, rods]) then whatever your building on top of that isn't going to fail because of a faulty foundation.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM

reliable + turbo = not reliable
Old 02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so your saying i have to decide whether to go all motor? or turbo because i would be wasting money in the long run if i did an all motor build and then turbo it? because i would be re-doing the build for turbo anyway..
Also if i WERE to do turbo, how much would a good set up cost around,

Last edited by vLad11591; 02-19-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No VDUBS here in206
reliable + turbo = not reliable
Any particular reason why turbocharged Hondas aren't reliable?

Originally Posted by vLad11591
so your saying i have to decide whether to go all motor? or turbo because i would be wasting money in the long run if i did an all motor build and then turbo it? because i would be re-doing the build for turbo anyway..
Also if i WERE to do turbo, how much would a good set up cost around,
If your plan is to go turbo, then build the motor for turbo...there's no sense in wasting money and time building an "all-motor" engine when your long term goal is a reliable turbo set-up, which CAN be done.

As for the cost, it just depends on what you want...bolt-on turbo kits can be had for ~$3,000 for a nice one, but once you add in tuning, etc. it adds up, especially if you're paying someone to do it.

My advice is to build the motor for what you want in the long run.....example: I've been running low compression pistons in my B18C1 for two years, and it's naturally aspirated, but I just start ordering turbo parts
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo can be reliable and works very well as a DD/Race Car. Thats what im doing currently. I built a D series for boost and the way im diong my piping and **** my boost will catch around 4, VTEC around 5. When I get it tuned ill be getting great gas mileage @ low RPM and great power @ high RPM. This is exactly what u want for a daily. All motor doesnt work for a daily and neither does boost if ur turbo spools up @ too low of an RPM. Because you want reliability and gas mileage for a DD. If ur not spooling all the time you dont deal with problems that occur with turbo (since your only using the turbo when your racing), and your not dealing with the gas mileage problems that occur with high compression scenarios (either all motor or while your motor is under boost).
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait, essentially i thought turbo/boost is the same? so boost is different than a turbo?
So to build it reliable and for turbo/boost i would have to go for a lower compression build right? The all motor is going out the window because with the limited budget i have, and the little knowledge i probably wouldnt be able to hit 220 whp all motor on a b16. So if i just boost it, it will be better in the long run? reliability wise? If anyone can link me to some threads where they have info on turbo/boost that would be greatly appreciated. I want to hit at least 250 whp + with the boost. I would also have to get a new suspension set up as well right?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Vietnamese!

Anything is possible...
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait, essentially i thought turbo/boost is the same? so boost is different than a turbo?
So to build it reliable and for turbo/boost i would have to go for a lower compression build right? The all motor is going out the window because with the limited budget i have, and the little knowledge i probably wouldnt be able to hit 220 whp all motor on a b16. So if i just boost it, it will be better in the long run? reliability wise? If anyone can link me to some threads where they have info on turbo/boost that would be greatly appreciated. I want to hit at least 250 whp + with the boost. I would also have to get a new suspension set up as well right?
turbo is/isnt boost. Boost is Forced Induction. This doesnt have to be turbo, it could be supercharged or have a blower (not available on civics lol). You can hit 250WHP on a b16 stock with turbo I belive. Just get it tuned. Idk about any links lol, use search
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the info...
If i were to turbo/boost it i would want to have it reliable for at least 2 years.. I found a really good thread through search going over everything i would need but i still need more information. And through my research, it seems like you wouldnt even have to build the b16 for boost. People seem to be running stock b16's and making 220+ whp easily.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you can make that kind of power on a stock B16.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so now the final question is what would be better for reliability/price
an all motor build/poor mans type r or just go boost at like 9 psi and track it on the weekends?
i want to get at least 220 whp (or more for boost) for both, and im doing it in a 93 eg coupe, with full interior/ac/ps
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I built a 92 hatch had a built b16 with 198whp. Safety 21 6 point cage and all the other goodies, was my daily driver as well as my track car. I took it to the track as much as I could I also ran it with a/c. The car was totally reliable and I never got pulled over really. It all depends on how you build it really. Here's a pic for reference.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kartman5
I built a 92 hatch had a built b16 with 198whp. Safety 21 6 point cage and all the other goodies, was my daily driver as well as my track car. I took it to the track as much as I could I also ran it with a/c. The car was totally reliable and I never got pulled over really. It all depends on how you build it really. Here's a pic for reference.

rouhgly, how much did it all cost? But wow thats fckn sexy!! real clean.
im thinking i wouldnt build it because it would cost almost as much as a cheap turbo set up. And if i did do the turbo, would i have any problems with inspection?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rouhgly, how much did it all cost? But wow thats fckn sexy!! real clean.
im thinking i wouldnt build it because it would cost almost as much as a cheap turbo set up. And if i did do the turbo, would i have any problems with inspection?
I built that car while I was in High School, it probably cost around 5k to build, as I got some pretty good deals on some of the parts, and I did most of the work myself. It's up to you if you wanna swap cause you'll have to deal with smogging the motor. If you have a carb legal turbo setup you shouldn't have any problems with an inspection, it might be different where you are but here in So Cal its tough.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can build a reliable turbo honda...but a reliable, high horse power, turbo honda will not be reliable.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kartman5

OP, keep in mind even after spending $500+ on a security system. Building a car like this ^^ will attract theifs. It still depends on the theft rate in your area, but daily driving a honda/acura these days is not safe almost everywhere.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Car in sig is a very reliable daily driver, and gets about 35mpg (without beating on it). The only thing that is a little bit impractical is that I am always on drag radials and they only last me 5k or so.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marshun
you can build a reliable turbo honda...but a reliable, high horse power, turbo honda will not be reliable.
i want to push 220 whp + the most being at like 320 at the most...
I think thats reasonable? I would probably want it tuned at like 6-8 psi on a street tune. I just really want to make sure this is what i want to do. I need to start researching parts, and seeing how much they would cost so i can start saving!
I live in NJ but not in a bad part, but if i do go up to passaic, etc ( some family down there) i will have to be sure to get a new alarm system etc
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you need to sit down and decide on 3 things.

1. Your goals.
2. Your budget.
3. What it will take to get to your goal within your budget.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JKov240
It sounds like you need to sit down and decide on 3 things.

1. Your goals.
2. Your budget.
3. What it will take to get to your goal within your budget.
like i said my goal is to turbo my b16 and get around 260 whp- 320 whp MAX.
I want to spend at least 2000$ or around 3000$
I want to have it by the summer, or mid summer.
thats a reasonable goal right?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been running from 250-300 hp on a couple different tunes on my stock b16 for 3 years, its all in the tune. It can be done for 2000 but you will need to shop smart and pick up some used parts, 3000 would be a more realistic amount.

Quick Reply: Reliability/weekend track car Is it possible?