Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reliability of a motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of a motor swap

when my motor eats **** and dies i have 2 choices, buy a new car or swap motors. I have 93 coupe w/ D15B7 a motoer swap will be an *** load cheaper than a new car, but i worry about the reliability on it. i no different moters are more reliable than others. I want a relable daily driver, but i want it to be quiker than the gutless one i got now. So the question is for those of u who have done swaps, how often do thing go wrong, from moter to wiring issues. i would not be doing the swap myself i dont no anything about engine work

Thanks for the help and advise
Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends where the motor comes from, i got mine from Hmotors over a year ago and all ive done is general maintence. And if youre doing the work yourself but have no knowledge of motors, Id say start reading/searching.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of a motor swap (anavrin351)

if done right it shouldnt have any problems. but you dont have control of when something goes wrong. stock motor swaps should run like it did when it came out of the original car.

if your drag racing then its a different story...lol
Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you buy a complete changeover swap like the ones they sell on Hmotorsonline.com you will have no problems if you change a few parts b4 you drop it in...do it right the first time and everything should be good...i bought my gsr from them about 2 years ago and i dropped it into my ek and havent done nething to it since except change my oil every 3k mikes and it is still running strong
Old 02-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of a motor swap (turbociviccoupe)

im NOT doing the swap myself, and i dont want the same motor, definitly need more power.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id say look into a GSR or an LS.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

i also love the 40 mpg i get right now. i no that wont happen, but id like to get atleast 30 since i only have a 10 gallon tank to get me 300 miles
Old 02-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Reliability of a motor swap (anavrin351)

if you do a full blown tune up before doing the swap, it'll have less problems.
but of coarse with any used or older car, your still going to have problems.
whether it's your suspension or even elerctrical, which has nothing to do with the motor but everything to do with you car being 14yrs old.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy an LS.

No VTEC (ricers cry about this motor).

A hell of a lot of torque, VERY cheap, VERY reliable.

They're like the Z6's of the B world - but without VTEC.

It pulls nice, and it's usually just as cheap as a D series (maybe a bit more, but definitely not the hmotors price of probably like 50,000 dollars or whatever the hell they *** ream you for it).

They're cheap, reliable, and torquey.

So in a sense you have:
Cheap, reliable, power - pick two.

Well this one has all 3, it's lowest effect is its power, but it's got GREAT torque specs almost comparable to that of the GSR for like 1/6 the price.

You'll also get awesome MPG with the LS tranny. Though the LS tranny is rather long IMO. Ricers will suggest using a B16 tranny so it can be as fast as possible etc. etc. but the tranny is wayyyy too short and will *** ream your MPG on the highway with that engine. Get a GSR or ITR tranny on that LS and you'll be rockin it. Even the LS tranny's fine if you do a lot of highway driving.

Guess it's safe to say with my opinion that:
If Highway > off highway
Then LS tranny
If off highway > highway
Then GSR or ITR tranny
If you = ricer and don't care about MPG, just "street racing" the stock focus with the 50 year old driver next to you 150 ft to the next red light
Then B16 tranny

EDIT:
Obviously the reliability of the motor is very variable, though these LS motors are VERY reliable in my humble opinion.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i would suggest the ls as well. when i did my swap i tried very hard to look for an ls mainly cuz i didnt understand wiring for vtec. but i manned up and got a usdm gsr good power of course but my first choice was the ls. it gets alright mileage for me about 240 miles for about 8.2 gallons i fill up.

ps i havent had major problems with my swap. and i ran the vin beforei bought it. look for the import junk yards in your area. i would trust them before i trust a speed shop. mainly cuz they dont care about screwing you over and are more open to giving you info you want.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine since November and have had no problems (except a valve cover leaking where the nut tightens down...cracked valve cover...and minor transmission leaks because seals weren't replaced when I first dropped the motor in).

Other than that...do timing belt/tensioner/water pump before dropping it in and you should be alright.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Guess it's safe to say with my opinion that:
If Highway &gt; off highway
Then LS tranny
If off highway &gt; highway
Then GSR or ITR tranny

If you = ricer and don't care about MPG, just "street racing" the stock focus with the 50 year old driver next to you 150 ft to the next red light
Then B16 tranny

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do know the itr and b16 tranny are the same?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

excelent. thanks for the advise and help.
i think i have a b series tranny in my car. Motor is b15d7. if the D7 is tranny then i guess not, cuz i no the B15 means b series 1.5L. and is there a list in the archives that shows some sort of order the letters go in ( B D) and so on and what car the motor originaly came out of?

I found them in the 'what swaps are available for my civic?' and didnt see the ls is it the B18? it seemed like it from what u guys have mentioned
Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (anavrin351)

are u sure its not a d15b7.. never heard of a b15d7
Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You do know the itr and b16 tranny are the same?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I didn't, I thought the ITR was shorter than the GSR but not as short as the B16.

Guess I learn something new every day. I never dealt with ITR trannies (I guess that's not an excuse tho ).
Old 02-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oops yeah d15b7 I just thought of 1 more thing. Will the mototr out of an RSX fit a 93 coupe? I was told by a friend that it was 4 grand installed with tranny, clutch, ECO, and limited slip. i would think that would be a big deal, but never hear people talk about it. granted i dont no #s of motors so maybe it is talked about.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anavrin351 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oops yeah d15b7 I just thought of 1 more thing. Will the mototr out of an RSX fit a 93 coupe? I was told by a friend that it was 4 grand installed with tranny, clutch, ECO, and limited slip. i would think that would be a big deal, but never hear people talk about it. granted i dont no #s of motors so maybe it is talked about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL

Try 1500-4k for the motor with install looking at 6-9 .

Boost a B16 or GSR or something - it's cheaper. A supercharged GSR will rape most K20's (RSX motors) and put out a torque curve linear enough to be damn near that of an NA K20 with far more HP.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh thats why i ask ill do more research cuz hopefully i dont have any major malfunctions for about 9 months. thats when i can afford to do this
Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

according to syndicate anyone who is faster than him on the site is a ricer, so everyone is a ricer

lol i drive my ca 10 miles to track bet some money come back park it and drive my 06 accord to school makes me a ricer? sorry for not wanting to take a 14 yr old ca out for a 100 mile drive lol

if everyone in the us got a corvette for free, synducate would drop the motor and swap in a d16y7

RSX motor is a k20a2 alot of work, not legal, and fast as expletive

search k20a2 swap
Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

Get an ls, and if you do any other motor dont mess with wiring and buy a conversion harness, Buy gaskets and new seals, timing belts etc. And everything will be smooth for you.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">according to syndicate anyone who is faster than him on the site is a ricer, so everyone is a ricer

lol i drive my ca 10 miles to track bet some money come back park it and drive my 06 accord to school makes me a ricer? sorry for not wanting to take a 14 yr old ca out for a 100 mile drive lol

<u>if everyone in the us got a corvette for free, synducate would drop the motor and swap in a d16y7 </u>

search k20a2 swap
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, this is probably the worst array of statements and highest amount of fallacies I've ever seen at one time in my entire life.

I'm not even going to mention the 4th grade English language art skills.

As unfortunate as it is if everybody in the US got a corvette for free half you ricer bastards would sell it and buy a 15 year old civic or some stupid **** like that because "domestics suck." x 50

K20a swaps might be expensive, but they're 100% legal where I live, SUCKS to live where you do, sucker.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The k20a2 is LEGAL in ca. wtf are you talking about dork motorsports?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">according to syndicate anyone who is faster than him on the site is a ricer, so everyone is a ricer

if everyone in the us got a corvette for free, synducate would drop the motor and swap in a d16y7

search k20a2 swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Jonknee)

'95 EX Coupe 104k 5sp I/H/E
Bone Stock FTW!

we know you wouldnt run 600whp syndicate your not even running 100 whp lol

and whats this quote from carrol shelby then going on to saying doemstics suck?

there was no shelby civic lol he doesnt like honda's

another thigs his quote says torque wins races, what torque do you have syn? you havent done **** to a car you stareted around the time i had my old profile and your alreayd at all those posts lol why dont you go do something to a car lol last i rembered your car is still down for hitting a deer lol

and you repeadley called people ricers for having b16 tranny's with an ls vtec claming that the best engine is an ls with the longer gear ratios for better freeways pseeds damn dude i dont want you on my racing team lol nor my pit crew lol and if i ever see you at the same strip im at ill race you for winner take home other strip car haha **** ill race you in the 1500 ram that we use to tow the car to the track lol
Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

k20 isnt legal yettt, kpro isnt carb certified, unless you get a new ecu from the delaership, or junkyard with car title moron

Quick Reply: Reliability of a motor swap