Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliability?

my plan is to save up for a turbo soon but after reading some threads i start thinking about the motor going bad..... im not gonna be pushing it to hard maybe 10 lbs max. its my dd... im not gonna be hard on it all the time....i just want a lil boost for my car... b16 first gen..

im for sure gonna get it tuned right after i do it.... and im either gonna have some one get it done or get help to get it done but im gonna do it right and not *** up on anything that has to do with installing the turbo however ive never installed a turbo before.... my motor prob has 60-70k not sure cuz its not the orignal motor.

and if all else fails.... im planning to maybe buy a b20 motor for a back up.... cuz i know those are cheeap with low milage as well... so my question is will my motor be good and reliable and fun to drive with what im gona do? thanx
Old 10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: reliability? (nemesiskrp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my plan is to save up for a turbo soon but after reading some threads i start thinking about the motor going bad..... im not gonna be pushing it to hard maybe 10 lbs max. its my dd... im not gonna be hard on it all the time....i just want a lil boost for my car... b16 first gen..

im for sure gonna get it tuned right after i do it.... and im either gonna have some one get it done or get help to get it done but im gonna do it right and not *** up on anything that has to do with installing the turbo however ive never installed a turbo before.... my motor prob has 60-70k not sure cuz its not the orignal motor.

and if all else fails.... im planning to maybe buy a b20 motor for a back up.... cuz i know those are cheeap with low milage as well... so my question is will my motor be good and reliable and fun to drive with what im gona do? thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whether or not your engine is reliable has nothing to do with us. Get good parts, get a good oiling system (feed line diameter, restrictor if necessary and return line angle) and get the best tune you can afford. If you do those, you should have a car that makes decent power on 10 pounds for a good 40k before anything happens.

However, none of us knows your driving habits, your engine's current compression or leakdown numbers or anything else that would help us assess whether or not it's healthy, so this discussion is pretty much completely and utterly worthless.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hrm, I'll be honest, I didn't read your post, but I did catch some stuff.

B20 w/ "stock bottom end" + "reliable" + "B20" don't belong in the same sentence.

I guess now that I posted I have to read it...

First of all, I can't find a question - ANYWHERE.

I think you're trying to ask will your light boost turbo setup on your B16 with "10psi" be reliable? Don't know - depends on how well you built it.

Let's start with basics: Engines don't blow from too much PSI, they blow from too much HP being put through the rods than the rods can take - transfer of energy - basic physics concept - look it up.

With that said, 10lbs on a "mid-sized" turbo (and even that's vague as ****) wouldn't make your engine "unreliable."

Don't think of it as X psi, think of it as "I'm shooting for X HP with Y Turbo" - then when you're getting it tuned they can help you decide what to set the psi to to get your X HP while still retaining reliability in the engine.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

well i ment id have the b20 for a back up motor and not put the turbo on it...cuz if i did blow the motor then i wouldnt have a dd..so the b20 would be a back up..but anyway i only said 10 psi cuz i thought that would put you to about 200 hp maybe a lil more and i dont want to have 300 hp + on a stock b16 .... well thats good then if it will be reliable still.... phew i was about to go all motor for a second....not that thats bad...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (nemesiskrp)

if you boosted at 10lbs.... is their different strong points and weak points within your rpm range with different size turbos ??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you boosted at 10lbs.... is their different strong points and weak points within your rpm range with different size turbos ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, the last thing you want is a oversized turbo and be laggy as ****. But it a lot depends on your tune and how you're planning on driving it. Are you peicing this kit together yourself or just buying one off Drag or Peakboost or someone?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (Boost_V)

im pretty sure im gonna buy a whole kit... ya i dont want a big turbo but i dont wanna small one.....i just need to find a good place around LA or somethin to do the tuning... anyone have any websites or anything that does tuning in southern california??? thanx
Old 10-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whitefield (sp?)
Bisimoto
Church
Prostreet Import
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

hey as far as the bisimoto and the prostreet tuning facilities....do they tune if your car is turbo.... just wonderin cuz it says their all motor? does it mater?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey as far as the bisimoto and the prostreet tuning facilities....do they tune if your car is turbo.... just wonderin cuz it says their all motor? does it mater?</TD></TR></TABLE>

bisi wont tune you and i dont think he's local bro.............and eugene (prostreet) is all the way out therein la mirada

whitfield is the closest i think, seeing as how you live close to me LOL
Old 10-26-2007, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey as far as the bisimoto and the prostreet tuning facilities....do they tune if your car is turbo.... just wonderin cuz it says their all motor? does it mater?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, we do tune turbo applications. This past weekend, every one of the boosted applications that used our facility ran their best times ever. The proof is in the pudding. Give us a call.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im pretty sure im gonna buy a whole kit... ya i dont want a big turbo but i dont wanna small one.....i just need to find a good place around LA or somethin to do the tuning... anyone have any websites or anything that does tuning in southern california??? thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why don't you want a small one? If you're only running 10lbs of boost, you don't need anything really big at all, and it takes much less time to spool up.

John
Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bisimoto)

Good info here, but let me assume some things for you so you can hear what you want.

Lets assume you have a good condition b16, now lets assume you have a good turbo kit (good as in good parts, no ebay turbo or manifold especially), and lets FURTHER assume you have a good fuel system and finally a good tune, then YES, your car should be pretty reliable at 250 wheel horsepower.

Now, if your turbo is a ebay special, your fuel delivery is whack, your tune is crap, or your running an FMU, and finally if your b16 isn't in as good of shape as you think, then it probably won't be reliable.