Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

REgular bondo or fiberglass bondo for this fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REgular bondo or fiberglass bondo for this fix?

I have a 99 civic ex 4dr that i had rust on the fender and i took it all off. but theres a problem...after i put he metal plates inside the fender i dont know if i should use regular bondo to cover it all up or use fiberglass.

I uploaded some pictures to show what im talking about the 'hole'. but it will be all covered up with the steel plates that im putting inside there tonight. My brother friend said fiberglass would be better but he hasnt seen the spot yet. He hasnt even seen the after i am done there will only be a few millimeters that need to be smoothed out. heres some pics: the first one shows the 'hole' im taking about the best and the 2nd one is in primer. the third one is where one of the plates is to show that theres just that area that i need to fill in for it just to be even to the rest of the fender.

By the way, i spent countless time getting 100% of the rust off with my dremel and treating the metal so the rust woudlnt come back, so i know there no rust left on it under the primer
Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REgular bondo or fiberglass bondo for this fix? (silentblackhat)

Bondo should be fine ...
Old 04-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Watch out bondo might be fine for less than a year and then it might crack out if it gets much movement in it.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Hump-Free)

you used a dremal, that looks like you took a sledge hammer to it, and umm wtf this looks so amature. You know what your doing ?... you just gonna slap a shitload of bondo in there.. lol.. ohh god.

dood.. bring your car to a shop.. it looks like your over your head
Old 04-22-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you just gonna slap a shitload of bondo in there.. lol.. ohh god.</TD></TR></TABLE>
no, i have metal plates im putting in. actually i have them in right now. its about s few square inches of bondo that is only about 2 mm deep.....not a shitload. yes i know what im doing. I am just asking what people have used. Besides yes it does look like there was a hammer taken to it because there was so much rust on it. i used the dremel to remove the rust

the pictures make it look worse than it is
Old 04-22-2005, 10:18 PM

regular bondo should be fine, just do as much repair work with metal as you can. Lead would be ideal to fix any imperfections but no one uses that anymore since bondo came out and the skins on cars are paper thin now. Take your time and it should come out fine.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: REgular bondo or fiberglass bondo for this fix? (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">regular bondo should be fine, just do as much repair work with metal as you can. Lead would be ideal to fix any imperfections but no one uses that anymore since bondo came out and the skins on cars are paper thin now. Take your time and it should come out fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, a person who displays actual knowledge of this, not just a bottomless opinion. yes im taking my time so itwill come out good. TO the other guy, yes it would be stupud to slap a shitload of bondo on there....and yes i know what im doin and have a plan instead of just jumping into this with no plan.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:39 PM

if you knew what you were doing you wouldnt ask this question. but that needs/should be repaired and a section of the same make car should be used. go to a junkyard and find a car with clean 1/4 panel and have that section cut for you. then have someone cut that whole area out and weld the replacement back, if its done correct after you file the weld down you shouldnt need much/if any body filler.

but if you buy filler get evercoat lightweight filler. theres alot of diff types but this is prob a good one for you to get.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...63702
Old 04-22-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: REgular bondo or fiberglass bondo for this fix? (drunknbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i
but if you buy filler get evercoat lightweight filler. theres alot of diff types but this is prob a good one for you to get.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...63702</TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw that there is a lightweight filler at advance autoparts...is that a good brand also? The post that i gave was basically just to see what was the best bodyfiller to smooth everything out once im done putting the metal in. Any good brand filler at NAPA or any other stores?

I saw Bondo #1022 Ultimate Premium Lightweight Body Filler, is that any better/worse than origional bondo

Modified by silentblackhat at 12:40 AM 4/23/2005
Old 04-23-2005, 12:24 AM

dont buy it from an autoparts store. buy it from a place that sells car paint and supplies.