Oh yeah...

Can't wait to get this in!
Attached Images      
Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Re: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

!! Which dealer did you use?

Also, I agree with your comments about the tubing size on the purge solenoid. As for whether gases route through the solenoid I'm not sure. I always thought they did but you have a good point. Post a few more photos of the IM when you have a chance once you get back to it and we'll see what we can piece together.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1
!! Which dealer did you use?

Also, I agree with your comments about the tubing size on the purge solenoid. As for whether gases route through the solenoid I'm not sure. I always thought they did but you have a good point. Post a few more photos of the IM when you have a chance once you get back to it and we'll see what we can piece together.
I used Markley in Fort Collins. Not the cheapest, but I didn't have to pay shipping on the reman rack, and no shipping on the core. That swayed me over going online for this piece.

As for the intake, yeah... Scratching my head on that one!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

You are correct, the RIGHT way to do the swap of a B18C1 into the EG chassis it to run a P72 ECU. However, it's possible the shop could have modified ("chipped") your original ECU (P28) to work with the B18C1. The reason I am asking, is because if it is a chipped/modded P28 then there's a chance the knock sensor isn't doing anything anyway. If it is in fact a P72, then the knock sensor is being seen by the ECU.
It is P72 ECU. There are 2 added wires going to it, which would make sense - 1 for Knock, 1 for IAB. Over the weekend I can look and see if they go to the correct sockets.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

I think it would be helpful if you posted another picture of your intake manifold showing all the possible vacuum connections on it. We see your throttle body- just one nipple on there, and no FITV, but I am wondering how many connections the actual manifold has and where they are.

I don't have a lot of experience with OBD-II or Integra motors, but I can try to help as best I can. Did you also take any pictures of that vacuum control box thing under the manifold and the connections to it?
Thanks for being willing to help and taking a look my scenario. I don't have any pics of the IAB vacuum tank, but the vacuum tubing looks reasonably undisturbed. I will investigate that further.

As for the intake manifold and throttle body - I pulled those out last night and took a good look. First, I am dead wrong - there is a FITV, so the joke is on me. When I look at the mystery year vacuum diagram, it looks like the TB in the diagram has a FITV as well. I went ahead and pointed out all the vacuum connections on the IM and TB that I could see.

I also see that something has been rubbing on the bottom of the FITV for some time - eek! I wonder if it was the booty-fab heater outlet hose? The more I dig, the more I need to clean things up. I will order up some o-rings for the FITV and clean it out while I have it off.
Attached Images        
Old 10-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Thanks for being willing to help and taking a look my scenario. I don't have any pics of the IAB vacuum tank, but the vacuum tubing looks reasonably undisturbed. I will investigate that further.

As for the intake manifold and throttle body - I pulled those out last night and took a good look. First, I am dead wrong - there is a FITV, so the joke is on me. When I look at the mystery year vacuum diagram, it looks like the TB in the diagram has a FITV as well. I went ahead and pointed out all the vacuum connections on the IM and TB that I could see.

I also see that something has been rubbing on the bottom of the FITV for some time - eek! I wonder if it was the booty-fab heater outlet hose? The more I dig, the more I need to clean things up. I will order up some o-rings for the FITV and clean it out while I have it off.
Booty-fab heater outlet hose and mystery year vacuum diagram w/ TB that looks to have FITV:

Old 10-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

To make things more interesting, when I went to order o-rings for the FITV, the '96 GSR TB does not have FITV.

I know the engine is from a '96 GSR, but perhaps the swap that did the swap threw a different TB on there?

First image is from a '96 - no FITV, second is from a '95.
Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Premium Member

To make things more interesting, when I went to order o-rings for the FITV, the '96 GSR TB does not have FITV.

I know the engine is from a '96 GSR, but perhaps the swap that did the swap threw a different TB on there?

First image is from a '96 - no FITV, second is from a '95.
I think I figured out what is going on here - the TB could either be a '94 or '95 GSR when they used FITV on manual trans, or could be from an LS with A/T as those used FITV all the way through '01. The FITV definitely looks to be LS, and not '94/'95 GSR - look at the different nipples going into the FITV:

Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

All sorts of stuff goin' on in here! Good work.

I've a TB from a 94/95 with a FITV and yes, yours is not the same.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
All sorts of stuff goin' on in here! Good work.

I've a TB from a 94/95 with a FITV and yes, yours is not the same.
Thanks man, I will be psyched to get my little machine back on the road - I love this car.

Is your TB different than mine, or just the FITV?

Is it FITV or FICV?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanks man, I will be psyched to get my little machine back on the road - I love this car.

Is your TB different than mine, or just the FITV?

Is it FITV or FICV?
I learned some more today after looking at my intake and looking at the '98 Integra FSM. You can see my intake just has the one coolant fitting that as you noted, goes to the thermostat housing. There is not a smaller port to go to the FITV.

The second image is from the '98 FSM and shows the small port off the upper rad hose housing, like mine. My swap deleted the Breather Tube, so I had a small coolant line going from the upper rad housing straight to the FITV.

So it changed sometime between '94 and '98. I think I am going to have to break down and buy a Helms for a '96.

@CX-Adam Do you, or did you have a Breather Pipe in your cooling system? If you deleted it, how did you do so? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM
talks to himself

No. I did not delete the breather line.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
No. I did not delete the breather line.
Thank you sir. It must be fairly compact to fit in there w/ the S/C and intercooled intake. I will have to revisit your catch can posts and make sure I understand how it is working with forced induction.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Default Re: Rack!

Oh yeah...

Can't wait to get this in!
Rack is in!

Before I installed, I cleaned the PS lines by putting some compressed air through the open lines up by the PS fluid reservoir, then brake-clean, then more air. I did not realize how much fluid was still in there, so I made a nice puddle of PS fluid to lie in while I swapped out the racks - awesome!

This is not too bad with the intake and head out of the way. I sense it would suck to do with the whole engine in there. It definitely helped that I did a dry run last weekend. I think the worst part was biting the bullet and paying - straight cash, homie $$$
Attached Images     
Old 11-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Default Re: EVAP System - Needs Attention

I have never gotten the evap system 100% functional on this car after the swap. I tried many different iterations of vacuum line hook-up, and it boiled down to either having an awful gas vapor smell in the cabin, or a mostly functional set-up that would start to stumble on hot days in the summer if I did lots of stop-n-go driving. The first was intolerable, the second was pretty damn inconvenient.

As far as I can tell, there could be several causes:
  1. Do I have correct ECU?
  2. Is wiring from ECU to evap purge solenoid correct?
  3. Does purge solenoid work properly?
  4. Are vacuum connections from charcoal canister to throttle body and intake correct? (I am guessing no)
This body is a '94 EH3, which if I understand correctly is OBD1. The engine is from a 1996 Integra GSR, and if I am correct is OBD2. It would appear that the evap system on a '96 GSR is different from a '94 and also different from a '98. I have FSMs for a '94 Integra and from a '98 - no '96 FSM. More on this later.

Here is the basic layout for evap system in my EH3 from the FSM, as well as a picture of my charcoal canister. You can see that the evap purge solenoid on this system is just designed to open and close the diaphragm on the charcoal can, and the actual purge of the can's vapors goes into the throttle body. Make sense?
I did get a chance to check the hose fittings on the throttle body and evap purge solenoid. The vacuum port on the throttle body, which I believe is supposed to purge the actual gasoline vapors from the charcoal canister is a 6mm OD. The port which supplies vacuum to the evap purge solenoid is 8mm. For some reason, they must have changed from OBD I to OBD II, as these sizes look to be the opposite of the nipples on my charcoal canister where the purge diaphragm is smaller at 6mm than the actual purge port which is bigger at 8mm. If I can get everything working correctly, I will have to run hose size reducers in both lines.

I did notice a splice in the evap purge solenoid wiring, I will confirm that the connections are solid and not backwards.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

I have never gotten the evap system 100% functional on this car after the swap. I tried many different iterations of vacuum line hook-up, and it boiled down to either having an awful gas vapor smell in the cabin, or a mostly functional set-up that would start to stumble on hot days in the summer if I did lots of stop-n-go driving. The first was intolerable, the second was pretty damn inconvenient.

As far as I can tell, there could be several causes:
  1. Do I have correct ECU?
  2. Is wiring from ECU to evap purge solenoid correct?
  3. Does purge solenoid work properly?
  4. Are vacuum connections from charcoal canister to throttle body and intake correct? (I am guessing no)
This body is a '94 EH3, which if I understand correctly is OBD1. The engine is from a 1996 Integra GSR, and if I am correct is OBD2. It would appear that the evap system on a '96 GSR is different from a '94 and also different from a '98. I have FSMs for a '94 Integra and from a '98 - no '96 FSM. More on this later.

Here is the basic layout for evap system in my EH3 from the FSM, as well as a picture of my charcoal canister. You can see that the evap purge solenoid on this system is just designed to open and close the diaphragm on the charcoal can, and the actual purge of the can's vapors goes into the throttle body. Make sense?
I really wanted to know how Acura set up the vacuum lines/evap/coolant lines on the '96 B18C1, so I threw down for a Helms manual, and now I know.
Small differences, but different indeed from what the FSM for '94 and '98 shows.
From the '96 Service Manual:
  1. Fuel tank vapor control system (evap)
  2. Throttle body (no distinction btwn B18C1 and B18B, note the FITV is for auto tranny only in '96 - why?)
  3. Vacuum connections
  4. Cooling hoses
So I can be confident that I have a '95 TB, since it has the vacuum port up top, and an LS FITV which could be used from '94 to '01 on LS or GS w/ A/T - more details here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...-fitv-3287577/
In '96 the charcoal can just had one hose in from the 2-way valve at the gas tank, and on hose going out to the evap purge solenoid. I wonder why they got rid of the vacuum diaphragm at the can? I wonder why they went to the 3-way valve at the charcoal can?
For my OBD I TB + OBD II evap purge solenoid in the OBD I EH3 body, I am going to have to get some vacuum hose adapters to go from 6 to 8mm to connect my charcoal can lines - diaphragm and purge to my TB and evap purge.

Clear as mud?
Attached Images     

Last edited by 94 Civic Si; 01-17-2024 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

I really wanted to know how Acura set up the vacuum lines/evap/coolant lines on the '96 B18C1, so I threw down for a Helms manual, and now I know.
Small differences, but different indeed from what the FSM for '94 and '98 shows.
  1. Fuel tank vapor control system (evap)
  2. Throttle body (no distinction btwn B18C1 and B18B, note the FITV is for auto tranny only in '96 - why?)
  3. Vacuum connections
  4. Cooling hoses
So I can be confident that I have a '95 TB, since it has the vacuum port up top, and an LS FITV which could be used from '94 to '01 on LS or GS w/ A/T - more details here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...-fitv-3287577/
In '96 the charcoal can just had one hose in from the 2-way valve at the gas tank, and on hose going out to the evap purge solenoid. I wonder why they got rid of the vacuum diaphragm at the can? I wonder why they went to the 3-way valve at the charcoal can?
For my OBD I TB + OBD II evap purge solenoid in the OBD I EH3 body, I am going to have to get some vacuum hose adapters to go from 6 to 8mm to connect my charcoal can lines - diaphragm and purge to my TB and evap purge.

Clear as mud?
I know this is not a huge concern to others, so perhaps I am the only one in this boat. I do want to be able to button this up quickly once I get the intake back in. It was a real PITA when this car would either smell like raw gas, or be unable to idle smoothly if I tried a day of stop-n-go traffic when the temps were in the 90's.
This will be a big improvement if I understand how the charcoal canister should be connected to the TB and purge solenoid.
Placeholder for now:
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

In more interesting news, rings came in, so I am going to go pick up head + pistons and rods from the machine shop tonight.

Starting to get real...

RING SET, PISTON (STD) (TEIKOKU) - 1996 ACURA INTEGRA HATCHBACK (13011PR3003)
Attached Images     
Old 11-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
If you want OEM, I recommend Acura Parts OEM Acura Parts Factory Acura Parts

Choose a GSR year between 94-01 and start ordering parts.

eH.
BTW - thank you! These are some great prices!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

What is the spec for compression test?
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Not much time to wrench on the car this past weekend.

I found a local guy to flow test and clean fuel injectors, so I pulled those on Saturday.

Sunday I had a little more time, I spent that time pulling the driveshafts so I could swap them out under warranty.

I also spent a little time on the shift rod while I was under there. Sometimes the OCD can be a pain in the a$$...
Old 11-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

I found a local guy to flow test and clean fuel injectors, so I pulled those on Saturday.
I will be curious to see how these flow tested, I have put ~130k miles on these, unknown number of miles before I got the engine. No pics, but the little filters on the ends of the injectors looked clean.
Attached Images    
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Sunday I had a little more time, I spent that time pulling the driveshafts so I could swap them out under warranty.
I noticed the passenger side outer boot had split and sprayed out, and the driver side outer boot was cracking. Since these shafts had a lifetime warranty as per the garage that put this last set in, I could exchange them for replacements - nice.

I referred to this thread for guidance: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...l-pics-382416/

The advice from @TomCat39 on how to separate the lower ball joints was $: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51033898

I will have to look up the last time these were replaced, but they were starting to look a little nasty:
Attached Images       
Old 11-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

New TREs came in, so I put those on while I was pulling half-shafts:
Attached Images   
Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 PM
talks to himself

Damn, dude. You're putting in some serious work.
The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident