Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #26
Seagull Management

Default re: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
Thank you! I have one dizzy that is completely dead, so I was wondering about getting that rebuilt so I have a spare on the shelf. If there are no rebuilders, I can dig in and troubleshoot components. Any favorite threads on troubleshooting these when they fail?
Chances are if it's completely dead the coil or igniter has failed. Both are very easy to change. The coil is pretty cheap, the igniter isn't, but they're easy to find used in a junkyard.

Quote:
Also, some questions about shifters... With the B swap, my shifter moved forward a noticeable amount. I have always wanted to shorten it up a touch to bring it back to stock placement for the Si. Has anyone done so? Favorite place to take out the extra length?
It's not so much that it's longer, it's that it's a "dual bend" shifter. You can use a '99 - '00 Si shifter and it should be in the same place as the stock shifter or at least very close to it.

Quote:
I think the angle the shifter is at with the extra length causes rattles in 3rd and 5th. No rattles in 4th.
The shifter bushings are probably seized and instead of rotating on the bushings the shifter is rotating on the bolt that goes through the center bushing. I wouldn't attribute the rattle to the length.

Last edited by 94EG8; 06-28-2016 at 01:38 PM.
94EG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #27
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
Your thread here is fine actually. Your title is a generic title for your specific car. Refresh, can be anything from rebuilding, to replacing to troubleshooting for fixing etc. You can post just about any problem with your car in your thread here.

The reason for new threads instead of bumping really old threads is that every car is different. What applied in the old thread may not be your same situation, especially as easy as it is to swap and modify Honda's.

You simply reference the threads/posts you found and then ask in your thread clarifying questions as it applies to your vehicle.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful to you.
That does make great sense - thank you!
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #28
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_EH3 View Post
Is your car running OBDII or OBDI?

That will make a difference on which distributor you will need. I was in a hurry to get my car running when I got mine (after swapping) and bought a brand new one from the parts store and they cost a pretty penny, so just changing the cap and rotor yourself would probably be a better option.

By the way, how can you tell if your car is "tired". Have you had the car dyno'ed or had a compression and leakdown test? Just to be sure you spend your time and hard earned money on useful stuff...

Good luck on the car refresh.
Compression test results;
#1 = 187 psi
#2 = 203
#3 = 190
#4 = 195

My Haynes manual says Standard compression spec for the B18C1 is 270 psi?!? Jinkees! That seems like a lot.
It also says Minimum is 135, or half the standard, quite a difference!
So it looks like I am down quite a bit from a standard of 270.
I wonder what kind of a loss of horsepower and torque this would equal.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #29
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. I must have missed your thread when it came around.

I have never seen 270psi myself, but normally, numbers should at least be above 200-210 and no more than +/- 10 across the board.

That said, just to be sure... When you tested, was your engine warm? And was the throttle open all the way?

If that is the case, your numbers are a tad low, and your #1 seems to have issues, but your numbers also look like you tested on a cold, yet perhaps healthy motor.
Matt_EH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #30
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_EH3 View Post
Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. I must have missed your thread when it came around.

I have never seen 270psi myself, but normally, numbers should at least be above 200-210 and no more than +/- 10 across the board.

That said, just to be sure... When you tested, was your engine warm? And was the throttle open all the way?

If that is the case, your numbers are a tad low, and your #1 seems to have issues, but your numbers also look like you tested on a cold, yet perhaps healthy motor.
Thanks Matt.

I always thought you pulled spark plugs with the engine cold? I certainly have gone through a few sets of wires when changing out plugs.

Throttle was not open. I have heard thoughts on throttle open vs. throttle closed. I came to the belief that at the low RPM the starter motor can deliver, any air flow beyond what the IAC can provide is superfluous. If the throttle open does indeed make a difference on these engines, I will go back to the test.

Haynes also lists maximum deviation between cylinders as 28 psi, which would be 10% if the max spec is correct @ 270 psi...

Thank you for taking a look.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #31
Intelligently Stupid

If you are wanting to compare your numbers to FSM the test needs to be done WOT.

You do it with engine warm normally. What I do is I crack all the plugs with the engine cold, regoop them with aluminum based anti-sieze (grey color) and then put them back in to the torque requirement of 13 ft-lbs.

Warm up the engine to operating temperature, park the car (shut off) and let it sit 15 minutes (unless winter then it's 5 minutes). Now you can pull all the plugs and do the test on a warm engine.

Your results like this at WOT will very likely be much closer to factory specifications.

It's not just the IACV but the complete Intake Manifold and throttle body that can skew the numbers from being anywhere near factory specifications.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.
TomCat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #32
Honda-Tech Member

My friend owns a shop and uses All Data. I was asking him about this spec of 270 with a minimum of 135 psi, as the split seemed like a lot to me.

He pulled up a '96 GSR and All Data said the compression test should be 199-135 psi. Since I am pushing 199 w/ engine cold and throttle not wide open, I am thinking compression is not bad...

I may just freshen the head and go from there.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #33
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
My friend owns a shop and uses All Data. I was asking him about this spec of 270 with a minimum of 135 psi, as the split seemed like a lot to me.

He pulled up a '96 GSR and All Data said the compression test should be 199-135 psi. Since I am pushing 199 w/ engine cold and throttle not wide open, I am thinking compression is not bad...

I may just freshen the head and go from there.
Has anyone else seen this spec for the B18C1?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #34
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
Chances are if it's completely dead the coil or igniter has failed. Both are very easy to change. The coil is pretty cheap, the igniter isn't, but they're easy to find used in a junkyard.
Are these valid diagnostics for coil and igniter? I think they swapped an OBD1 dizzy into the '96 B18:

Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #35
Seagull Management

Quote:
Are these valid diagnostics for coil and igniter? I think they swapped an OBD1 dizzy into the '96 B18
Yes. Also OBD1 and OBD2 D and B series distributors are all basically the same inside.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #36
Honda-Tech Member

Of course it was a Jeep that took you out, this is colorado!

Its cool that you have had this car for so long and use it as a DD.

I wonder what's it like going up I70
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #37
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collkid View Post
Of course it was a Jeep that took you out, this is colorado!

Its cool that you have had this car for so long and use it as a DD.

I wonder what's it like going up I70
F'ing thing wails up Eisenhower! Put her down in 3rd and let her wind, she does well.

I cannot wait to rebuild the top end and get her back on the road.

I don't think she likes sitting and waiting for me though, I drove her over the weekend and she has a stumble when pulling away from stops. :-(

And of course it was a Jeep. I spend most of my time playing with Land Cruisers. This Civic has been so reliable that I could spend all kinds of time on the Cruisers.

Last edited by 94 Civic Si; 08-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #38
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Yes. Also OBD1 and OBD2 D and B series distributors are all basically the same inside.
Thanks! I had a dizzy fail years ago, I still have it, so hopefully I can rebuild the two of them into one good one.

Is there a legend that will tell me what vehicle a dizzy came from based on the markings?
Old 08-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #39
Seagull Management

Quote:
Is there a legend that will tell me what vehicle a dizzy came from based on the markings?
There's normally a number stamped on one leg that will start TD
Old 08-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #40
Honda-Tech Member

It is nice to get to spend some time in here and get ideas for future projects.

I have noticed that the sunroof needs some love; to get the Tilt feature to work, I need to press up on the back of the sun/moon roof panel with my right hand. When the roof panel is closed, I see it does not line up evenly with the metal roof surrounding the panel.

Here are some nice threads I found in here regarding service to the sun/moon roof:

Rear Edge Closing Adjusting - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51025970

Electrical Test/Troubleshooting - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...umped-3117346/

Glass Height Adjustment - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...oblem-3118716/

How To Remove Moonroof - https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ic-eg-2955891/

A nice DIY on rebuilding entire moonroof assembly on EG Civic forum - Civic EG View topic - DIY sunroof rails teardown & rebuild.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #41
Honda-Tech Member

I also found a cool write-up on how to retrofit a "Headlight On" alarm if you leave your lights on (thanks @deschlong): https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...folks-2749779/

I would like to do this.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #42
Intelligently Stupid

Quote:
I also found a cool write-up on how to retrofit a "Headlight On" alarm if you leave your lights on (thanks @deschlong): https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...folks-2749779/

I would like to do this.
Just so you know, you can also use a later year CRV ICU. Deschlong's write up is for a very limited and specific year ICU which may be a little more difficult to find. Deschlong has verified the 98 ICU works too but hasn't updated or done a write up on it. I too have researched the 98+ CRV ICU but haven't sat down and actually done the repins and wiring yet on either my 95 or my wife's 93 civics. It is slightly different than the ICU in the DIY.

Oh woops, this one is for the Integra ICU and hardware. If you find Deschlong's write up for the intermittent rear wiper DIY you will learn you can get that and the headlight chime with the CRV ICU. And that's where my above comment was concerning. The buzzer for the headlights is built into the ICU of the CRV so there no additional hardware required like the Integra setup.
TomCat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #43
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
Just so you know, you can also use a later year CRV ICU. Deschlong's write up is for a very limited and specific year ICU which may be a little more difficult to find. Deschlong has verified the 98 ICU works too but hasn't updated or done a write up on it. I too have researched the 98+ CRV ICU but haven't sat down and actually done the repins and wiring yet on either my 95 or my wife's 93 civics. It is slightly different than the ICU in the DIY.

Oh woops, this one is for the Integra ICU and hardware. If you find Deschlong's write up for the intermittent rear wiper DIY you will learn you can get that and the headlight chime with the CRV ICU. And that's where my above comment was concerning. The buzzer for the headlights is built into the ICU of the CRV so there no additional hardware required like the Integra setup.
Wow, that is very cool! It sounds like I could pick up the headlight alarm and rear intermittent wiper with this. Deschlong says the ICU comes from '98 to '01 CRV: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...guide-2727596/

This is timely, because I think my little EH3 ICU is bad. The wipers stop where ever they are when I turn the switch off. They do not park.

But it sounds like I need to find out the wiring config to re-pin...

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #44
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
There's normally a number stamped on one leg that will start TD
Thanks, it sounds like TD-44U is widely used, and known as 30105-P30-006 to the Honda parts system. It also looks to be a discontinued part for Honda...
Old 08-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #45
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Are these valid diagnostics for coil and igniter? I think they swapped an OBD1 dizzy into the '96 B18:

This was cool that I finally got some time to play with the Civic!
I figured out I have a TD-44U TEC distributor.
My previous distributor had a bad coil.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #46
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

Going back to this question, it looks like the TD-44U distributor was originally found in the following:
  • 1992-93 Integra - 1.7L DOHC non VTEC
  • 1994-95 Civic Del Sol - 1.6L DOHC VTEC
Old 08-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #47
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
This was cool that I finally got some time to play with the Civic!
I figured out I have a TD-44U TEC distributor.
My previous distributor had a bad coil.
Putting this here for future references - replacement coils for many Honda distributors @ $19.99: New Honda Accord Civic CR V Acura Integra Distributor Internal Ignition Coil | eBay

Ignitor - Airtex for $37: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271343057388?rmvSB=true

If I can find a p/n for the bearing you could refurb the distributor for probably <$100.

Last edited by 94 Civic Si; 03-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #48
Honda-Tech Member

Rented the crank pulley tool from local O'Reilly's tonight - tomorrow we dig in...
Old 09-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #49
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Went out to get started Sunday and saw a little drip under the car - hmm... When I got her up in the air and crawled under, I found that one of the heater hoses had developed a weep. These hoses have not been addressed since 2002 when the engine swap was done.

I was thinking about all the coolant hoses that run back behind the engine and under the intake - I thought this project would be a good time to refresh these - now I know!

Are B16 Del Sol heater hoses correct for B18 in my little EH3?

I did get the crank bolt loosened successfully! I was worried about that, but got it loose, set engine to #1 TDC, got accessory belts off, cap and wires off, plugs out, valve cover loose and then ran out of time. Should be able to get the head off next weekend.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #50
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Head is off, goes to the machine shop later this week.

Now time to build my shopping list of gaskets/seals/hoses.

While the head and intake are off, I am determined to improve the evap set up. It has never been as good as factory. The B18C1 is OBDII and my 94 EH3 is OBDI. Here are a few links I found for future trouble-shooting:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...enoid-3266935/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...4/#post6900744
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-b16a-3277316/