Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

redrilling holes in rims..

Old 05-16-2002, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redrilling holes in rims..

how much does it cost to redrill holes in a rim? I'm looking for 1 Axis wheelsite wheel with the pattern of a universal 4...and I found one..same size and all..but the pattern is for a 5 lug. How much does it cost to redrill holes?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (J-MiGiRL702)

you cant redrill holes in most tuner rims, you usally redrill your hubs and rotors.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (tonyxcom)

don't do it. Find the correct fitment.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (tonyxcom)

you cant redrill holes in most tuner rims, you usally redrill your hubs and rotors.
what? redrill your hubs and rotors? how do you do that? anyway it depends on what bolt pattern is already drilled in the wheel. you said its 5 lug, i assume you need 4x100 for your car. so if the wheel is 5x100 you can drill the 4x100 pattern in with no problems, any good machine shop should be able to do it for you. as long as you have a 5x100 going to a 4x100 or a 5x4.5 going to a 4x4.5 it will be perfectly safe. axis does dual drill that wheel so it is strong enough. and before you guys say that a wheel with a 5/4 lug drilling is unsafe, racing hart does it and so do alot of other companies.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:05 AM

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (thrashin)

right on thrashin..You're a lot of help..Imma see what I can do today..or else ill be riding on wheelsites on one side and se7en's on the other..haha....kinda cool..
Old 05-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before you guys say that a wheel with a 5/4 lug drilling is unsafe, racing hart does it and so do alot of other companies.
So that makes it safe? I don't consdier Axis a "reputable" wheel company that makes great products. These are low quality, cheap, gravity cast wheels with lots of "design" and very little "engineering".

I used to work for BBS and at least once a month, we'd get a warranty return on a wheel that had been double-drilled, especially 5/5's, by a machine shop. If you're talking about turing a 5-100 wheel into a 4-100 wheel, that's even worse. At least most factory DD's have different bolt circles, like 4-100/4-113. There isn't enough material betwen the holes to support the cornering loads of a modified vehicle. Visible cracks begin to develop and in extreme cases, failure results. Even if I were able to condone this practice, are the wheels the proper offset? Do they have the proper center bore? Do they have an appropriate load rating for your car?

If you want to be a fool, driving on unsafe, ghetto-modified wheels that aren't even the proper fitment for your car, go ahead. Just don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (94CivicSi)

before you guys say that a wheel with a 5/4 lug drilling is unsafe, racing hart does it and so do alot of other companies.

So that makes it safe? I don't consdier Axis a "reputable" wheel company that makes great products. These are low quality, cheap, gravity cast wheels with lots of "design" and very little "engineering". unless you are comparing them to magnesium or forged wheels cast wheels are pretty much cast wheels

I used to work for BBS and at least once a month, we'd get a warranty return on a wheel that had been double-drilled, especially 5/5's, by a machine shop. If you're talking about turing a 5-100 wheel into a 4-100 wheel, that's even worse. At least most factory DD's have different bolt circles, like 4-100/4-113. There isn't enough material betwen the holes to support the cornering loads of a modified vehicle. Visible cracks begin to develop and in extreme cases, failure results. Even if I were able to condone this practice, are the wheels the proper offset? Do they have the proper center bore? Do they have an appropriate load rating for your car?

the machine shop should be able to determine if there is enough material between the holes to drill, remember he will only have to drill 3 holes in the wheel since he will use an existing hole. i assume that the wheels are the proper offset, if not than why would he waste money to have them drilled? as far as load rating youre just trying to sound like youre some wheel expert. load ratings dont apply to such a lightwieght car, these arent going on an f250 you know.

If you want to be a fool, driving on unsafe, ghetto-modified wheels that aren't even the proper fitment for your car, go ahead. Just don't say I didn't warn you.
if he gets them done right then they are not ghetto modified. i also used to work for a wheel distributer, for 4 years in fact. we sold the bbs line and yes we drilled them to fit peoples cars sometimes. we never had any problems. i guess we just had a quality machine shop, something you dont know about i guess. people have heads ported or shaved all the time, and they werent like that from the factory were they?
Old 05-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

2 of those 3 holes drilled will be very close to 2 of the existing holes... even closer on a 100mm bolt circle. Too close for my comfort. It will also probably make balancing the wheel a nightmare.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as load rating youre just trying to sound like youre some wheel expert. load ratings dont apply to such a lightwieght car, these arent going on an f250 you know.
Oh, so you know what car the wheels were desgined for and what car they're going on?

people have heads ported or shaved all the time, and they werent like that from the factory were they?
I'm not aware of any cyclinder heads that are put under the kind of loads that a wheel center is.

Using the wrong wheel for a car is GHETTO. We're talking damn Honda's, not some obscure car with no wheel fitments, so why take the risk and the the expense. Yes, I am aware there are good machine shops that do this type of work. I still don't think it's a good idea, that's my opinion

This will be the result of drilling a 5-100 wheel to 4-100:

Knowing 5-100 is a VW fitment, then I can assure you both the offset and center bore will be incorrect also.

He or she asked for opinions, mine has been given. Don't like it? I don't give a crap. Just trying to keep everyone out there as safe as possible.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (94CivicSi)

Oh, so you know what car the wheels were desgined for and what car they're going on?

no but if he has a five lug fwd high offset wheel it is going on a small to midwieght car.

Knowing 5-100 is a VW fitment, then I can assure you both the offset and center bore will be incorrect also.

well wheel master 5x100 bolt patterns are used on more than vw cars. and there are hardly any wheels out there that are made hub centric. ever heard of hub rings? most manufacturers use the largest center bore they can so that the wheel will fit a variety of cars.

He or she asked for opinions, mine has been given. Don't like it? I don't give a crap. Just trying to keep everyone out there as safe as possible.
exactly they asked for an opinion or a solution to the problem they have. i gave them a solution and my opinion on what to do, the only reson i am responding is because you quoted me and came off as a know it all
Old 05-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Future Texas Boy

why all the trouble for Axis wheels. Sell`em and start over.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what? redrill your hubs and rotors? how do you do that?
UHHHHHH, instead of drilling into the soft aluminum of your wheel, you redrill your hubs to the pattern you want, then redrill your rotors to match.

Neither one is a good solution, but redrilling your hubs is safer in my opinion.

Most tuner rims dont lend themselves to double drilling if it wasnt designed into it. BBS wheels usually always have a solid center where the design of the wheel doesnt protrude into the center of the rim.

I would just get new rims too.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:24 PM

Yeah... on drilling the rims out. I'm not an engineer, but it just seems like a bad idea, plus like others have said, the offset and the center hole may or may not fit correctly on your hub.

If you're really dead set on putting these rims on your car, and they don't offer a 4 lug version, you need to redrill your hubs and put new studs in them to accept the 5 lug wheels. My dad has done this on a ford truck so it would accept early model chevy pattern 5 lugs, and it works well. It's not the most optimal setup, and unless there is a HUGE price difference between one lug pattern or the other, it's probably going to end up costing you more money to rig the 5 lugs onto your original 4 lug car.

That's my opinion. If you're dead set on it, and can find a machine shop that will do it, I guess it's up to you if you want to possibly risk yours or others safety, and ruin an (I assume) expensive set of rims.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2002, 10:12 PM

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (matt-eg)

to make the offset work and get 5 lugs as well u can try getting some spacers. Spacers will help with the offset, but the 5 lug pattern is a pain. Don't redrill coz it'll affect you're rims resale price. Im pretty sure no one keeps their car forever so keep in mind the future.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: redrilling holes in rims.. (ek9type-R)

I already gave up..the rims are discontinued...and I have 3 of the same kind because one was damaged in an accident...and the onl reason I asked was because the only single wheel with the same offset and size was a 5 lug pattern wheel instead of a 4x100...so I'm pretty much fucked..the only thing good that came out of it was I got 3 Axis Wheelsite 17" wheels and 2 brand new ******* dunlop sp7000's all for $200...So lets just assume that I just bought the tires for $100 each...I made a 3 rim profit..kinda stupid..but yea....thats what happened..