Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

redlining

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 PM
My car breaks a lot!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redlining

i was wondering if redlining my car when im racing or doing a burnout is bad...i see people doing it all the time but i wasnt sure if its ok...i have a turbo lsvtec and i loose alot of traction so if i could redline it would be able to get traction back..i think

Old 12-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: redlining (teamvirus)

Shh.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you serious?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 PM
My car breaks a lot!

sorry i ment rev limiter
Old 12-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the farther from idle the less traction you will have...
Old 12-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its never good to bounce off the rev limiter.. it makes me cringe when i hear people do it to their cars..
Old 12-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ballerchild)

it can cause spun bearings and dropped valves
Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pat92si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ballerchild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its never good to bounce off the rev limiter.. it makes me cringe when i hear people do it to their cars..</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pat92si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it can cause spun bearings and dropped valves</TD></TR></TABLE>

how? if that was the case i dont think launch control would exist. drag racers bounce off the revlimiter all the time and some of those cars make 1000hp, im no engine builder, but i dont see how its detrimental.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how? if that was the case i dont think launch control would exist. drag racers bounce off the revlimiter all the time and some of those cars make 1000hp, im no engine builder, but i dont see how its detrimental.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like you said, they are drag cars. A civic is a grocery getter. Dragster tires are wider than a ******* civic. In order to launch that bitch, you have to get some rpm so it doesn't bog out or stall. It's RETARDED to bounce of the rev limiter, and only makes you look like you dont know what you are doing. When you loose traction, the LAST thing you do is punch it. You ease off until the tires hook, then ease back into WOT.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (85_305)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like you said, they are drag cars. A civic is a grocery getter. Dragster tires are wider than a ******* civic. In order to launch that bitch, you have to get some rpm so it doesn't bog out or stall. It's RETARDED to bounce of the rev limiter, and only makes you look like you dont know what you are doing. When you loose traction, the LAST thing you do is punch it. You ease off until the tires hook, then ease back into WOT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your justifying why drag cars do it, this was never a topic of discussion. im asking HOW it could damage anything and IF that was the case i imo feel lauch control would not exist. and drag cars with there super expensive engines would not do it. i fail to see how any of what you said is relavent.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your justifying why drag cars do it, this was never a topic of discussion. im asking HOW it could damage anything and IF that was the case i imo feel lauch control would not exist. and drag cars with there super expensive engines would not do it. i fail to see how any of what you said is relavent.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dragsters don't bounce of the limiter. They just hold it consistantly at a high rpm (whatever they need for their particular vehicle to launch).
Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[/QUOTE]<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dragsters don't bounce of the limiter. They just hold it consistantly at a high rpm (whatever they need for their particular vehicle to launch).</TD></TR></TABLE>

most of them use some type of launch control interface which in essence is a revlimiter at a certain rpm at 0mph, so yes they do bounce off the rev limiter, for refrence the Dsport skyline gtr has 900whp and launches a 9000rpm they use a Gizmo launch control and bounce off the revlimiter at 9000rpm, once the car is in motion the revlimit changes to about 10,000rpm where they shift at. the only cars that use your method are top fuel cars simply because they have soo much power that half throttle is enough to launch them insanely fast. BUT once again, how is this relavent to the topic we are discussing?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:20 PM
H-T White Ops

The thing I find find funny is that the OP wants to bounce off the rev limiter to regain traction. Hahahaha.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing I find find funny is that the OP wants to bounce off the rev limiter to regain traction. Hahahaha.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i lol'd. @ that

But honestly in a stock car you really arent hurting anything by bouncing off the rev limiter day after day: all it does is cut fuel at a certain RPM, as long as you arent sitting there doing it for like 10 seconds+

Now in the OP's case it could expletive some **** up: think about it-- Pushing all that boost (whatever PSI it is its probably too high anyway) and cutting the fuel? That creats a sudden, VERY lean mix, and thing over heat real quick that way.

Bottom line is if you have a stock engined honda, have at it. We all redline our cars every day, admit it. In a stock honda, going a litte farther and pointlessly bouncing off the limiter once or twice isnt hurting anything. Now in a turbo honda, if you just cant seem to figure out where your redline is, you better find a safer way to cut power: cut the spark so it goes rich instead of lean, or cut both fuel and spark.... im not a big expert on rev limiters and how they work other than elementary functions, because i just dont touch mine unless i screw up (every once in a blue moon), but its nice to know its there just in case; to me a rev limiter is just a safety net, that is all.

And remember, rev limiters cant protect against mechanical override, so dont go too crazy with that mAd tYt3 dOwNsHiFtInG y0
Old 12-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[/QUOTE]

most of them use some type of launch control interface which in essence is a revlimiter at a certain rpm at 0mph, so yes they do bounce off the rev limiter, for refrence the Dsport skyline gtr has 900whp and launches a 9000rpm they use a Gizmo launch control and bounce off the revlimiter at 9000rpm, once the car is in motion the revlimit changes to about 10,000rpm where they shift at. the only cars that use your method are top fuel cars simply because they have soo much power that half throttle is enough to launch them insanely fast. BUT once again, how is this relavent to the topic we are discussing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How is is relevant to the discussion? Hmm.. how is MY response to YOUR input relevant. Let me think about this for a while. But anyways there is a difference between banging off of a motors stock redlined rev limiter, and a user-controlled rev limiter. But thanks for the info on your reponse :D
Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is is relevant to the discussion? Hmm.. how is MY response to YOUR input relevant. Let me think about this for a while. But anyways there is a difference between banging off of a motors stock redlined rev limiter, and a user-controlled rev limiter. But thanks for the info on your reponse :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not trying to be a dick bro but nothing you have said so far has been important, NO **** theres a difference between the two, i'll say it one more time some one said

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pat92si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it can cause spun bearings and dropped valves</TD></TR></TABLE>

then i said

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how? if that was the case i dont think launch control would exist. drag racers bounce off the revlimiter all the time and some of those cars make 1000hp, im no engine builder, but i dont see how its detrimental.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and then you said a bunch of crap that was completely unnecssasary, you didnt agree with me nor did you disagree with me, your just stating a bunch of crap that is not relavent and commenting on things we already know, please for the love of god LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE EFFICTIVLY! dont just talk for the sake of talking.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont professional drag cars that make 1000hp get their engines rebuilt after every run? I know they do that with funny cars but i dont kow about the FWD ones... Anyways, ITS A ******* DRAG CAR, sposered by A ******* COMPANY, abd if they expletive something up alls they have to do is go to the trailer and replace it. Now when you get sponsered, by all means bounce off the revlimiter all day, cause theyll probably pay for you to fix it, but intill then if you dint want to pay for a new engine I strongly suggest you stop driving like a retard.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turnsignalandy)

NO they DONT rebuild after every one, funny cars make 5-6000hp its a little different. and even guys who are sponsored have budgets and try to keep costs down, nobody races to brake stuff. nobody gets engines built for absolutely free parts and labor. launch control/revlimiters do not harm the engine bro, you guys need to relax, just to give you ANOTHER example: roadracers will often times hit the revlimiter instead of shifting gears if they are close to the end of a strait, those guys dont have unlimited budgets either. doing it for no reason is stupid but not harmful unless its a fuel cut in a turbo car and you lean out (the propper way is an ignition cut for a revlimiter of launch control).
Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (solerizr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solerizr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like i said </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry i didnt notice there was somebody else on here that new what he was saying i should have just copied and pasted waht you said. i just read so many people whineing about how bad it is i didnt see your post.

for someone who knows whats up
Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-31-2006, 02:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teamvirus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was wondering if redlining my car when im racing or doing a burnout is bad...i see people doing it all the time but i wasnt sure if its ok...i have a turbo lsvtec and i loose alot of traction so if i could redline it would be able to get traction back..i think

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing that you're thinking that since the engine cuts fuel off, you'll be able to gain traction for a split second before shifting? Its bad to hold onto it that is a definite. But I bet everyone here hits it a little once in a while but never continues to hold onto the gas. I used to hang out with a guy taht would redline and hold it on a stock civic cx. With that being said, the motor blew within a few months. I guess the simple theory would suggest that high revving creates high temperatures that damage engine components. All professional dragsters go through parts like shopping at the grocery store but the configuration stays the same after switching out parts so essentially, they claim to be using the same motor because its the same configuration.

I personally would not recommend redline'n till the fuel cuts off.

I don't know your suspension setup but there are a few ways to help gain some traction through some suspension mods to prevent shift shock, wheel hop etc. Stiffer springs in the rear, traction bars, h brace etc.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:22 PM

This thread makes baby Jesus laugh.

Wtf man, someone's been playing just a LIITTLE too much NFS.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Regardless of how souped up your motor is.

Higher RPM <u>ALWAYS</u> means more wear and tear on the engine.

So in short, yes, it's bad for it.

If it can handle it or not is a totally different story.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (ballerchild)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ballerchild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its never good to bounce off the rev limiter.. it makes me cringe when i hear people do it to their cars..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously.

Quick Reply: redlining