Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Recommend me some nice cheap seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me some nice cheap seats?

So I've been looking on andysautosport and eBay for some new seats for an EK (or EJ) 96-00 civic. I have seen numerous Cipher Auto and Speed Daddy seat sets for around 250 for the pair. This kind of worries me, shouldn't seats be like 400 a pop? Also, what brackets should I use?

I've seen some threads where many people say they will snap like a toothpick in the event of a street accident, but wouldn't 20 year old stock seats do that anyway?

I've also seen that most people recommend Planted brackets, would you guys?

Also, where should I post these kinds of topics? Would this be the right location? Will a mod please let me know b4 moving the thread if it is necessary so that I can get the location of where I need to post next time.

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Recommend me some nice cheap seats?

I was thinking of just getting the stock seats completely steam cleaned and just getting covercraft covers for them since they're supposed to fit exactly to the seat... Would this be the case? Would keeping stock seats (or even going to integra seats) and getting nice custom seat covers be better than going for the eBay crap seats?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:56 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap seats are death traps. Unless you want the seat to snap in half, stay away from them.

This thread is a great resource for what seats fit in what, and how. You can also check my build thread for putting Acura CL-S seats in your car. It's a little more work, but they're stupidly comfortable, great lumbar and side support, and fully heated and power adjustable.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Cheap seats are death traps. Unless you want the seat to snap in half, stay away from them.

This thread is a great resource for what seats fit in what, and how. You can also check my build thread for putting Acura CL-S seats in your car. It's a little more work, but they're stupidly comfortable, great lumbar and side support, and fully heated and power adjustable.
How can I find your build log? Sorry about that. Great informative thread link above though, will definitely keep it bookmarked :D
Old 06-06-2015, 08:09 PM

If you click my name, "Find more posts by", then click "threads" in the search results. Also, it's on the first page right here in /1.

[edit] ****, I forgot, when someone fucked with my username, it broke the "threads" search. Here ya go, the part with the seats.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...6-8-a-3122006/
Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you click my name, "Find more posts by", then click "threads" in the search results. Also, it's on the first page right here in /1.
I'm not finding in in the "find more posts by" section under threads. Maybe it was removed. Who knows. I'll look later. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Sorry, edited my post. Someone changed my name and fucked up the search function.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, edited my post. Someone changed my name and fucked up the search function.
Wow I can pick up CL leather seats for that cheap???
I'm not sure if there's a pickapart in my area but I'll see if I can find one if they're only 30 bucks.

I can wire in Airbags right?
Will everything function and with angle grinding the brackets and stuff I won't be deteriorating the efficiency of the connection to the chassis, correct?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:26 PM

Don't wire in the seat airbags. They weren't designed to work in the EJ chassis, and the SRS system in the EJ chassis wasn't made for them. Even if you can get them wired in without them blowing and destroying the seat, best case they don't do anything in an accident, and worst case, they break your arm.

If you do it wrong, or use bad materials, yeah, it can damage the efficiency of the metal, but as long as you do it right, and use thick enough sheet stock, it works well.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't wire in the seat airbags. They weren't designed to work in the EJ chassis, and the SRS system in the EJ chassis wasn't made for them. Even if you can get them wired in without them blowing and destroying the seat, best case they don't do anything in an accident, and worst case, they break your arm.

If you do it wrong, or use bad materials, yeah, it can damage the efficiency of the metal, but as long as you do it right, and use thick enough sheet stock, it works well.
To be perfectly honest with you I don't think we would know if the brackets would be safe unless someone "tests" it out (by ramming head on to, lets say, an f350) and I'm sure nobody will be willing to do that.

I'll take your word on the SRS though.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 PM

I've had to slam on the brakes before, and had my 280 lbs fat friend not wearing his seat belt go, full force, into the back of the seat. Bracket didn't even flinch. You're right, I'm not going to properly "test" it but I'd trust my life to it well before I trusted some no-name seat.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had to slam on the brakes before, and had my 280 lbs fat friend not wearing his seat belt go, full force, into the back of the seat. Bracket didn't even flinch. You're right, I'm not going to properly "test" it but I'd trust my life to it well before I trusted some no-name seat.
Always make sure everyone is in a seat belt before you start moving or maybe you knew he wasn't in one and was trying to show him the consequences of not being in one :D

Anyway, I'm reading your build thread now. So far it looks nice
Old 06-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

del sol seats can usually be found pretty cheap but I do believe you will need to swap one of the rails
Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by TysonB
Also, where should I post these kinds of topics? Would this be the right location? Will a mod please let me know b4 moving the thread if it is necessary so that I can get the location of where I need to post next time.

Thanks for your opinions!
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the way your post is designed you are perfectly situated where you posted it.

Your post is getting into the very technical aspects of seat design and safety so is a good fit in the technical forum.

If you were asking where to buy or what to buy then it would be the "For Sale (FS)/Want To Buy (WTB)" thread sticky at the top.

If you were asking the value of certain seats then it would be "The Value Thread/What It's Worth" thread stickied at the top.

But in this case you are more after details (technicals) concerning proper safety of seats and possibly what price range would be indicative of such details. And what specifically makes the seat or rail or both safe.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:28 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you ever finish the wiring diagrams for the seats?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:36 PM

Hmm, I never did. I might sit down and try to addendize that at some point.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys for all the help. And yes, to the person above, I am concerned about the safety of seats, mostly because I don't want to go flying through my back window...

Admin
/thread

Thanks