Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rebuilt motor burning oil!!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt motor burning oil!!??

ok so i have a 200 civic si that i just rebuilt. it is also equipped with a t3/t4 turbo. neways i started the car up and it was burning oil. i thought that the exhaust just had to clear up but then when i pulled my plugs the plug on cylinder number 3 was completely soaked in oil. i dnot know what could be causing the issue i mean i put in new je pistons and rinds and a cometic headgasket with arp headbolts? any ideas guys? ur help is really appreciated. btw all the other plugs are dry.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilt motor burning oil!!?? (boricuaef9)

What are you tuned on?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: rebuilt motor burning oil!!?? (Boostedb20EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are you tuned on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better question: Did he even tune the car?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilt motor burning oil!!?? (SkoundrelUSA)

True.. Half the people that have problems on here and list that there car is boosted arent even tuned
Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: rebuilt motor burning oil!!?? (Boostedb20EH2)

how did you break the engine in?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: rebuilt motor burning oil!!?? (doood)

Wow i really don't konw what a tune has to do with burning oil. Did you just rebuild the bottom end or did you have the head done too.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you even stagger the rings correctly?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who installed the piston rings? did you align them correctly? are you sure the oil isnt coming from the turbo is there oil in the charge pipes and in the IM?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (93egsir)

your rings might not be seated righ either.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (TDSI99)

ok to start off ill i did was have new je rings and pistons put in by a performance shop. the car had blown a piston in cylinder number 4 but that cylinder is fine there is no problems in that cylinder. also i didn't really even break the motor in because i barely drive the car and it was burning oil from day one. i haven't revved the car past 4000 rpm.. neways any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (boricuaef9)

btw no the turbo isn't leaking.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 AM

i agree with everyone saying the rings my be lined up instead of stegared. Have you done any thing to check for this such as a compression test to see if your making enough compression in that cylinder. If the the rings aren't stagered you will have a lower compression because its leaking through your ring gaps. Second have you thought about it being bad valve seals, or something to do with your head.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LS-V Turbo)

Bad mistake not breaking in the motor.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LS-V Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow i really don't konw what a tune has to do with burning oil. Did you just rebuild the bottom end or did you have the head done too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boricuaef9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok to start off ill i did was have new je rings and pistons put in by a performance shop. the car had blown a piston in cylinder number 4 but that cylinder is fine there is no problems in that cylinder. also i didn't really even break the motor in because i barely drive the car and it was burning oil from day one. i haven't revved the car past 4000 rpm.. neways any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lack of a good tune/break in, can expletive your rings up even in a matter of 2 minutes.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397
Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

[QUOTE=SkoundrelUSA]

A lack of a good tune/break in, can expletive your rings up even in a matter of 2 minutes.

Realy? I didn't know you could even break a motor in in two minutes. Then again what do i know. And since you must think your god and you wrote the book on honda why did not breaking in the motor and not tunning only make one cylinder go bad? Just something to think about.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LS-V Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=SkoundrelUSA]

Realy? I didn't know you could even break a motor in in two minutes. Then again what do i know. And since you must think your god and you wrote the book on honda why did not breaking in the motor and not tunning only make one cylinder go bad? Just something to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok first, learn to use the quote button, its not rocket surgery

Second, read the ******* thread I posted. Since you haven't been here long, I'll just let you know now, "earl" was a very dependable and knowledgable person(R.I.P), so the info in that thread is not some made up bullshit. Its still possible to ruin just one ring/piston and not the others. Look at the pictures on earl's thread. But at this point, there can still be other possibilities as to what the cause can be, I was only pointing out the effect a tune/break in can have on an engine burning oil, which YOU questioned.

Third, I never claimed I knew everything. But when I post in threads, I don't make up some idiotic theory out of thin air like you and the rest of the idiots ruining the Civic forum with stupid guesses. If you're going to post, post something you're either 100% sure of or at least have some info/proof to back you up. And if you're unsure of something, state that you're unsure, and jerks like me won't go apeshit on you. I'm just sick of people misinforming others. If you want to throw out an idea/possibility, thats fine, just don't come off as if its 100% factual

Modified by SkoundrelUSA at 10:15 AM 4/25/2007
Old 04-25-2007, 06:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LS-V Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=SkoundrelUSA]

Realy? I didn't know you could even break a motor in in two minutes. Then again what do i know. And since you must think your god and you wrote the book on honda why did not breaking in the motor and not tunning only make one cylinder go bad? Just something to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude you're ******* stupid!

You DID read what Earl wrote...did you not? You can expletive up a motor in a matter of 2-3 seconds.

He didnt say that by not tuning you will expletive up the entire motor...but one cylinder is bad enough. Theres no telling what will go bad when you dont tune, but there is a very good chance SOMETHING will go wrong.

Just something for YOU to think about.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok first, learn to use the quote button, its not rocket surgery

Second, read the ******* thread I posted. Since you haven't been here long, I'll just let you know now, "earl" was a very dependable and knowledgable person(R.I.P), so the info in that thread is not some made up bullshit. Its still possible to ruin just one ring/piston and not the others. Look at the pictures on earl's thread. But at this point, there can still be other possibilities as to what the cause can be, I was only pointing out the effect a tune/break in can have on an engine burning oil, which YOU questioned.

Third, I never claimed I knew everything. But when I post in threads, I don't make up some idiotic theory out of thin air like you and the rest of the idiots ruining the Civic forum with stupid guesses. If you're going to post, post something you're either 100% sure of or at least have some info/proof to back you up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen to that.

RIP earl
Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 AM

well im sorry for not knowing how to use the forum as well as the rest of you. However i would like to think that i do know what im talking about. I relize that you need to tune you car and i realize you need to break in you motor doesn't take a real bright person to know that. However saying you can ruin rings in two minutes i think is a false statement. And if you would like to send me a link to this thread your talking about i would appreciate it. And saying im an idiot thats a pretty bold statement to make about me after three posts.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
cute little bastard

lol I already posted it

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM

I did take your advice and read earl's article. I can see where all of you think that im a dumb ***. if that article is how you learned about how motors work and the importance of a tune Im sorry. For those people on HT that know what they is actually going on inside there motor i think they will agree that the post is full of faulty information. However there where some good statements in there as well. I don't know of any motor that has ever started to detonate due to over fueling. The proper term for excessive over fueling could result in hydraulicing
which is very bad for the motor. However detonation is caused by a lean condition when cylinder temps get to hot. just thought i would clear that up. Thanks for your advice and if you or 1995 civic would like to rip on me some more feel free.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LS-V Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did take your advice and read earl's article. I can see where all of you think that im a dumb ***. if that article is how you learned about how motors work and the importance of a tune Im sorry. For those people on HT that know what they is actually going on inside there motor i think they will agree that the post is full of faulty information. However there where some good statements in there as well. I don't know of any motor that has ever started to detonate due to over fueling. The proper term for excessive over fueling could result in hydraulicing
which is very bad for the motor. However detonation is caused by a lean condition when cylinder temps get to hot. just thought i would clear that up. Thanks for your advice and if you or 1995 civic would like to rip on me some more feel free.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you calling earl's article wrong? why dont you do a search on him. then you can feel like the total dumbass you are. if he were still here he would school your idiotic ***.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM

maybe u left out that one ring gasket =p either that or u reused an old one n its warped =p try a new gasket set
Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: (Cboi)

detonation can not occur from running rich, running rich can cause flooding of engine and the engine to stall or not run properly, detonation is when you run to lean, you can ruin rings though in a matter of minuted because once i got my just rebuilt engine started and i began adjusting **** to get everything right my buddy then decided to jump right into my car n tack it out, it also had a t3/t4 turbo on it, after he did that it started smoking like hell and burning oil real bad, i ripped apart again n my rings were shot already... as for the tune, you cant really tune a motor fully until its broken in, not tuning will not cause an oil leak, it just wont allow the engine to function properly or to its full potential power... as to answer your question boricuaef9... your rings may be aligned and not staggered, do a compression test to see if its around where is should be, also you may just have a bad valve stem seal on that cylinder not to sound like an *** or anything but you should have broken it in first
Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: (ls19integra95)

oh, and by the way, your car will smoke for a little while when you first start it up after a rebuild because your piston rings need to seat themselves properly, this can sometimes take up to 500 miles on the car to get them to seat properly and fully, mine took around 300 and my buddies took around 450 and his brother though too only 150 miles, and those miles to break in should be babied and not beaten or taken too high in rpm's

Quick Reply: rebuilt motor burning oil!!??