Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rebuilt carbon synchro trans stuck in 1st!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt carbon synchro trans stuck in 1st!!!

I'm new to Honda Tech and I hate to jump right in and post this up but I'm kinda SOL right now.

Here’s the story. I bought a salvage S20 trans, I purchased new seals and carbon synchro's to put in it. I then tore it down and installed them. Last night I installed the trans and when I went to try out the gears I couldn't get it into 1st. this is where it gets strange... I can defiantly feel it engaging and sliding into all other gears. I can't feel reverse but it is hard to tell if it is lined up or locked out. I don't feel the synchro in 1st, it is just a hard stop. Then it gets really strange...the trans is in 1st gear regardless of the sticks position...."What?" you say. Tell me about it.

Before you jump to conclusions hear me out...I think the problem is that the first gear synchro is stuck on the cone of the gear. If the dog teeth where not lined up then the synchro would lock me out of the gear. I think it would act as engaged as well. I know the collars for 1-2,3-4,5 are all moving as they should.

I think this is possible because when I built the trans the carbon synchros where very "sticky" on the gears and after they were engaged and dis-engaged i would have to separate them from the gears cones by hand to rotate it by hand again. I figured that this would break in and the torque of rolling the car would be enough the separate them. I had soaked the synchros in oil for 2 days before I installed them. OR it is very possible that I screwed up...not out of the question here.

BTW this thing is really in 1st. With the e-brake pulled and trans in neutral I released the clutch and the car launched forward 3-4ft and when I put the clutch back in it was still running. And if I put it in 2nd and move 3-4ft it’s really tight coming back out. If it’s in 3rd the car will die as soon as I let out the clutch, even with the wheels off the ground.

anybody have any other ideas or experienced this?