Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rebuilding my d16y8- got any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding my d16y8- got any tips?

Hello all,

I'm getting all my ducks in a row to do a full overhaul on my d16y8 thats in my 98 ex coupe. I have the service manual and have read through the ENTIRE overhaul portion twice. but I still have a few questions.

1. I have been looking around for rebuild kits, mizumo looks like they make a good OEM spec kit at a decent price. any opinions or suggestions?

2. is there anything I should know that is specific to these motors that won't be in the manual?

3. I may turbo it later on once the cash flow picks up, if I put in stronger rods and vitara's would there be any comlications running NA for a while?

4. what machining should I expect to get done assuming that there are no major problems?

5. This is kind of a novice question. I've heard that these motors tend to spin rod bearings.... more specificly, is it the bearing on the crank journal or the one on the rod? and if it is spun is that stuff shot or can it be resurfaced?

and for those who will ask there are no leaks, ticks, knocks, smoke or lights on. I am doing a rebuild because it has 160xxx miles on it, I'm not entirely sure of the service record before I got it, I want the peace of mind that if I turbo it I don't have to baby it and most of all I just want the experience. so if you're gonna tell me to buy a crate motor or something used then you don't have to. case I'm not gonna. haha

thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilding my d16y8- got any tips?

yes, if it spins a rod bearing the crank can be regrounded. meaning resurfaced.

Some of the stuff needed to be done during an overhaul is, getting the head rebuild,compression tested and get it shaved.

The block can be cleaned and tested for leaks. and the crankshaft can be grounded and balanced well. the rods you can upgrade and run NA no problem just will be stronger engine. and if you wanna turbo it let some of these other guys help you their cause you are gonna run some low compression pistons for that. Upgrade the oil pump if you don't wanna spin a rod bearing later down the road. the oil pumps i hear are weak in the y8

Well these are all the main basic things i can think of.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you plan on running lower compression pistons because of boost, be sure to get your car tuned with the Vitara's even before a turbo goes on. Or else it will run very poorly.

And it will make your car slower.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SOHC_civic_si
If you plan on running lower compression pistons because of boost, be sure to get your car tuned with the Vitara's even before a turbo goes on. Or else it will run very poorly.

And it will make your car slower.
ok, I was afraid that the lower comp pistons would throw it off a bit.

if thats the case i think I'll just do an OEM rebuild, pistons and all, and save that for later.

thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman3645
and for those who will ask there are no leaks, ticks, knocks, smoke or lights on. I am doing a rebuild because it has 160xxx miles on it, I'm not entirely sure of the service record before I got it, I want the peace of mind that if I turbo it I don't have to baby it and most of all I just want the experience. so if you're gonna tell me to buy a crate motor or something used then you don't have to. case I'm not gonna. haha

thanks
good thing they don't make crate motors...

my opinion.. i think you should wait to do it untill you have all you need for your turbo build. if there are no leaks, ticks, knocks or smoke you've got another 60,000 miles easy. rebuild the motor when you're ready to run the turbo. believe me, you'll get the experience..
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

180k on my y5 and mine has been running great with no complaints over here. I have installed an oil pressure gauge to keep a better eye on the engine but so far it has really good oil pressure also it's even higher than what I thought it would be. What I plan on doing is when I do the timing belt next time I'm going to replace the pump as well just for good measure. But at 160k I wouldn't worry too much about rebuilding just yet as it still has a lot of life left in it. If your really concerned with the previous maintenance you could always do quick oil changes to get rid of any gunk that might be in there. I usually try to change my oil 3k-4k.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=Kista20;38287154]180k on my y5 and mine has been running great with no complaints over here. QUOTE]

yeah, i guess i could mention for reassurance... 215,000 on my D16Y7 (w/factory clutch.) sees 6000rpm on a regular basis. no smoke, no trouble.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[quote=hondamark35;38289087]
Originally Posted by Kista20
180k on my y5 and mine has been running great with no complaints over here. QUOTE]

yeah, i guess i could mention for reassurance... 215,000 on my D16Y7 (w/factory clutch.) sees 6000rpm on a regular basis. no smoke, no trouble.
my d15b7 died at 262,000. saw 6800rpm daily, oh and i mean daily. ahaha. but w/ out any leaks and stuff, no smoke, nothing(timing belt went suicidal so thats the only reason why it died). but rebuild it right before you go turbo, so you can get your moneys worth out of the parts. put an another 60k on those internals and stuff, then swap it out for the good stuff all at once.