Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rebuilding 98 GSR Differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding 98 GSR Differential

My axle keeps popping out of the transmission on my gs-r which means it's time to rebuild my differential. I want to go with an LSD differential this time and I need to rebuild the whole thing since I have to split the case. I am posting this to see if anyon here knows of a good place to get some rebuild kits. I'm not trying to go a cheap router or anything but I really don't see many places that include entire kits. Alot of the time they are missing the syncro rings and to add the rings to the kit is another 300 bucks. Seems kinda high just for some syncro rings.

Any info on some nice spots to get one of these kits from? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rebuilding 98 GSR Differential (the_blob)

You should just expect to pay around that price for Honda synchro sets. That's how much they cost, and I wouldn't go around putting any other manufacturer's stuff in there.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding 98 GSR Differential (the_blob)

Most Honda dealerships no longer list just the synchronizer assemblies, but that and the corresponding gears as well, for around $250 per set. GearSpeed sells an OEM style 1-2 and carbon 3-4-5 synchros for $225.

Rebuild parts are not available for a stock differential, only a replacement, which negates the purpose of rebuilding it.

Before you go ordering rebuild kits, take it apart and see what you actually need, most of the time a full rebuild kit is not required. There is a lot more than worn synchros that can cause poor or erratic shifting.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no no no see my problem is that the axle is popping out. I don't have any poor or eratic shifting. It's just that when I go to move, thirty seconds later the axle pops ou of the tranny and I'm not just trying to replace syncros. I am wanting to rebuild the tranny with type r LSD differentials because the stock gs-r tranny I have isn't LSD. I said I saw some "rebuild kits" which were basically just making it a type R LSD but the kits didn't include the syncros. That's what I was posting about. I want to have an LSD tranny but I can use the tranny case that I have to do so. I was asking whether or not anyone knew of any sites that sold these kits.