Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rebuild question's

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild question's

so....

im tired of half assing this **** and not getting anywhere but frustrated and my money taken....

im going to rebuild a d16y7/y8 mini me...

already have everything in a million piece's, taking the crank, flywheel, crank pulley and a dozen piston's to a machine shop to get straightend out and lightened

this is not my first time rebuilding a honda motor but, this will be the one that doesnt knock 10 miles down the road.

my only real question's are what brand's should i use, i know arp stud's (rod/head) acl bearing's, but i dont want to spend $100 on bearing's when my local shop has decent bearing's for $40 for both and another $15 on thrust washer's.

water pump, what brand?
wrist pin's, what brand?
timing belt will be honda, ALL the gasket's will be fel-pro...

before its said, you price all this stuff oem, and tell me it doesnt pay to go aftermarket

what should i do this go around that i probably didnt know going about rebuilding/cheaping out on my first rebuild.....there will be a chunk of change spent rebuilding this motor, because in the end im going to ****** the piston's/rod's out from under the car and boost it...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: rebuild question's

ACL is no longer is bussiness. Unless you can find someone with their bearings still they aren't a option.

The water pump should be OEM as well. Aftermarket pumps have been known to have issues and leak.

Why don't you just buy vitara pistons and eagal rods now? It would save a lot of trouble down the road.

You say this isnt is your first time build a honda motor, but they have all had issues?
Why don't you just let someone with experience build the engine?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not that, ive always cheaped out and just tried to fix one problem (spun rod bearing 4th cylinder) when it was several...

its not that im incapable, im borderline jewish....im an apprentice mechanic (whatever that mean's i do all the work lol) at work and have been for a minute...working toward's my ase certification's...

ill pick up an oem water pump, ive got a few friend's over there at the honda dealership...

and the ONLY reason im not swapping piston's and rod's is loss of power, its slow enough na, i could only imagine it with low compression but, what would be a good size for say 6-8lb's of boost on the vitara piston's, ill look into them atleast i know i saw a set on the marketplace.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Master Detailer

I am the same way lol. I would much rather my car sitting in the garage torn apart, then pay someone that likely is no more skilled then I am.

It's noramly better to go OEM on a lot of things. Most of the crap on my car lasted nearly 200k before it needed to be replaced.

The engine already is low crompression. I belive it's around 9.1 Which I am almost certain you can get vitara's around that compression number.

Vitara/eagal supriseing can hold quite a bit of power. We're 400+whp. I am not speaking from personal experience, but a few of my buddy's have that setup.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hrm....thats something to think about....

im gonna build the **** out of this d....get 45mpg's while i build part's...the local honda cliq around here kinda started hanging around my house and they all say my car look's like it need's a k/j/ls/boosted d....and by god its gonna have it...

oil pump...i REALLY dont wanna pay $300 for one from honda, i know i should, what's the cheaper supposed to be better solution, ie walbro is to fuel pump's...

like i said im new to honda, not the import/motor world...i just want this car to last me 150k before i detonates and blow's....
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Master Detailer

K's are cool, I guess. They cost a lot for what you get. Great motor's but not a cheap or easy swap
J's,I wouldn't, but it's your money.
Ls's,only with a P8R head, OR a correctly built Ls/vtec setup.

Oil pump is some thing I am not to sure on. I've never bought before. Check out majestic honda, and hondapartsunlimited.com for better deals then your local dealer!

I am at 210k, she run's great! Honda's will really forever, if you maintian them properly.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet! And fwiw I'm gonna get around a .57mm t28, something small to start with....
and Im going to keep this thread as my rebuild/boost thread so I don't clutter....