Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rebuild D16Z6

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild D16Z6

I'm thinking about rebuilding my Z6 from the ground up.. taking it all apart and replacing all the wear items, like gaskets and bearings, and my timing belt/water pump.

1. is this a good idea? who's done this before, what did you replace? All of it?
2. Anyone know where to get these items for a decent price?
i called honda and got these prices

Bearings set - 200
Upper gasket set - 147
lower gasket - 60

i was also going to do that buy in Sponsors for the timing betl/water pump replacement kit for 130 something.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Rebuild D16Z6 (AmginE)

nothin?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:57 PM

I been wanting to do that for a while but I dont have a second car to go to work and back.

Anyway, it seems like a great idea but just make sure to get "better than stock" parts for it when you replace the parts. I would try to make friends with someone who gets all the goodies at cost instead of going to the "money magnet" (honda dealer)

Good luck with the build - When you start on it you should post some pics of the progress!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 09-24-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (crzyfool24)

yeah, i was thinking that.. but there's really no point in getting "better than stock" if i won't see any gains in doing so. Honda parts will work, so i'd get those.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com </TD></TR></TABLE>

looked. didn't find anything, i called honda to find out what their prices were.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you feel your motor is not very healthy, and is high on miles, that would be the first thing to do... I also suggest Honing your cylinders and changing your piston rings....

What are your future plans with the motor? I ask because if u plan on boosting or Building for NA might as well change the pitons, and rods now that u have it open....
Old 09-24-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Rebuild D16Z6 (PRcivicHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you feel your motor is not very healthy, and is high on miles, that would be the first thing to do... I also suggest Honing your cylinders and changing your piston rings....

What are your future plans with the motor? I ask because if u plan on boosting or Building for NA might as well change the pitons, and rods now that u have it open....</TD></TR></TABLE>

probably just mild tuning. nothing outrageous, ITB's, header, exhaust. i'm putting a ported and polished head on in the process.

edit: i'd be replacing the rings too, yeah. forgot to price that.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:08 PM

go low compression pistons if you plan to turbo it, Hi comp pistons if youre going to stay NON-turbo. i believe 86-89 LS pistons will hold up to 225whp stock, or try eGAY for some pistons. usually a seller by id of: guitguit has them for sale. good seller
Old 09-24-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (AmginE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AmginE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
looked. didn't find anything, i called honda to find out what their prices were. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What did you look at?

If you don't have an insider at a dealership Majestic will save you about 20%. Search the online catalog for the parts you need.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going mild, then just what u mentioned should be fine... Have you looked into a Rebuild kit... where they sell everything together? WOuldnt that be cheaper?

Like the other guy mentioned take pics... i like seeing shiny, clean SOHC...
Old 09-24-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: (Jim Truett)

i looked at their catalog, but i guess i didn't find the gaskets, and rings, and bearings. i'll call them tomorrow and see how much they ask.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your going mild, then just what u mentioned should be fine... Have you looked into a Rebuild kit... where they sell everything together? WOuldnt that be cheaper?

Like the other guy mentioned take pics... i like seeing shiny, clean SOHC...</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, any idea where to find that? i'll start searching

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dremmel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go low compression pistons if you plan to turbo it, Hi comp pistons if youre going to stay NON-turbo. i believe 86-89 LS pistons will hold up to 225whp stock, or try eGAY for some pistons. usually a seller by id of: guitguit has them for sale. good seller </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll look into that, too. I don't plan on turboing it, as i want to autocross. what rods should i use? same crank?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could ghetto rig some old LS rods on or use new stock rods... Im thinking for autoX your not going to go for big power gains...

I think it was Nolimitmotorsports.com or Lightningmotorsports that had the rebuild kits... I dont remember and my favorites is not working right now (******* dial up sucks)...

You could also change the Pistons and raise the compression a bit with other stock pistons... check d-series.org they have lots of threads on these combos... Thats if they allow that in the class your autoxing in....
Old 09-24-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (PRcivicHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could ghetto rig some old LS rods on or use new stock rods... Im thinking for autoX your not going to go for big power gains...

I think it was Nolimitmotorsports.com or Lightningmotorsports that had the rebuild kits... I dont remember and my favorites is not working right now (******* dial up sucks)...

You could also change the Pistons and raise the compression a bit with other stock pistons... check d-series.org they have lots of threads on these combos... Thats if they allow that in the class your autoxing in.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, i already have suspension that removes me from stock class.. so i'd be racing for fun. i'd get an EF SI if i wanted to compete.

nolimit is motorcycle racing.. lightning has stuff, i'll look into it. - thanks for d-series.org, i forgot about them.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:52 PM
2.7(p/t)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice i would give you is to clearly establish your goals for the motor. Almost like an outline and then buy Power parts accordingly(pistons, cams, turbo, ITBs, spray, etc...)

As far as rebuild parts, bearings seals and important gaskets (head, IM) must be honda. Period.

I personally dont like honda rings. I like hastings, They allow you to set your own ring gap, unlike honda rings that are pregapped, and are on the looser side of spec sometimes. They are much cheaper too. (www.hastingsmfg.com)

Also keep fuel mangament in mind also...Hondata, AEM, Uberdata/Crome, etc (or baller style with MoTeC m4 or m8)

Building a motor is usually like an iceberg, people only think about the stuff that you can see on the top.

-s