Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reassembling head tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reassembling head tips?

I have a 93 Civic DX. 1.5L SOHC. I disassembled and had the head pressure checked. All is good. I have a new head set and am ready to start reassembling. New gaskets on the head were done at the shop. I have never done a project this in depth. Learned everything from this website.
This was originally a blown head gasket. Not sure why that happened. Water pump works, all fluids were fine until this happened. The car was sitting in a field for 2 years though.
I thought I'd post these pics of the cylinders. Is this Ok to reassemble, flush and run?

Any tips would be appreciated

Cylinders 2 & 1

4 & 3
Old 11-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Reassembling head tips?

there is a block drain plug to the right of the engine stamp.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Reassembling head tips?

Coolant System: By the looks of the old coolant (in the coolant jacket) looks like an HG breach caused coolant to mix with oil. As eghatch9295 stated find the 17mm block drain bolt (firewall side of block near knock sensor) and drain the old coolant. With the drain bolt out pour distilled water into the water jacket to help drain old coolant and sediment. Another option is vacuum out the coolant jacket with a wet/dry shop vacuum + adapter (small diameter stiff tubing). After you get the head back on and everything back together do a couple water only drain and fills (running engine 20 minutes and allow to cool between changes) before adding 50/50 coolant.

Oil: Expect to find at least a small amount of coolant in the oil. Yours looks like it the coolant and oil might be well mixed. Regardless, with a HG breach, even if there is no appearent oil/coolant (yellowish or greyish color) mix.. there will be some coolant in the oil pan. Pour some fresh oil into the oil drain channels (top of block) with the oil drain bolt removed. Best to remove oil pan, clean oil pan with brake cleaner and small brass bristle brush, new gasket + hondabond per FSM.

The cylinder sleeves can rust quickly so keep a coating of oil or wd-40 on them, stuff them with rags, and put a dry towel or visqueen across the top of the block. Rotate the crankshaft to move the pistons to coat the cylinder sleeves with oil or wd-40.. return to TDC

Cylinder Head: Did you only have it pressure checked? Needs to be resurfaced, valve lapping and new stem seals at a machine shop. You should check your block for warping using a straight edge and feeler gauge (Google search How-To). Use this Field Service Manual (FSM): http://www.manualslib.com/manual/464...nda-Civic.html as your go-to guide. It includes: how-to, torque specs, torque sequencing and pretty much everything needed to do the repair correctly.
Use Honda OE or OEM parts as much as possible. Purchase new head bolts or ARP bolts. Best to replace the timing belt, tensioner and water-pump if it's been close to 75K miles or you don't have prior service records.

Below is a good video for head gasket install.. it's not on a Honda engine but, principals are the same and in conjuction with the FSM should get the repair done right the first time:

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 11-29-2015 at 05:46 AM.