Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear wheel camber issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel camber issue

I have recently purchased a 96 Civic EX. The right rear wheel has a good amount of negative camber and it is bone stock suspension height. The camber bar is the non adjustable Honda issue part. It's wearing the tire on the inside. There could be a small toe issue because it does seem to be cupped just a little but I can clearly see the tire leaning in on the top so I guess that would make this negative camber? I did a visual inspection and clearly the trailing arm bushing is shot. My question is could a bad t/a bushing cause an effect on the camber? The bushings on the non adjustable camber bar where it bolts to the body and the t/a seem to be solid. I just want to know if camber could be a symptom of a bad t/a bushing. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear wheel camber issue (frankcougar)

i've been driving around with shot rta bushings in the rear for the longest of time and my camber does not change nor does my toe. Have you gotten an alignment done?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Rear wheel camber issue (byronl)

Not yet. I figured I would be wasting money until I figure out what is causing this camber issue since the only thing that seems to be adjustable with factory suspension is the toe and not camber or caster. Without it being lowered my only reasonable conclusion could be bushings or bent parts. The only bushing that visually looked bad or had some slop was the trailing arm bushing which I'm now learning is a very common issue. However people like you seem to be able to go years with bad ones only complaining about handling issues not tire wear and camber problems. I guess I could get an adjustable camber bar and overcompensate for bent parts but I like to fix things right. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right rear passenger wheel has negative camber relative to what? the left passenger rear? As far as I can remember, all civic's i've ever seen stock have more negative camber in the rear tires versus the front.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start measuring parts and look for things out of the ordinary with the wheel off. It is very common to see the lower control arms bent on those cars because they are very weak compared to the EG vehicles. 92-00 civics only have toe adjustment, there is no caster or camber adjustment from the factory. the first thing is to place the car on an alignment rack and see what the specs are after correction. if the rear left is in spec, then start measuring everything mount point to mount point to determine what part is not right.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

i just recently hit a pothole and fucked my rear traling arm and rim all up, my guess would be that the whole traling arm is fucked, i could be wrong but my rear pasenger side alignment is all scrwed up and i figured out them traling arms are weak, a buddy told me he had 5 friends who all bent the traling arm. i would replace the traling arm, upper and lower control arms.