Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear wheel bearing service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing service?

Hi,

I'm busy acquiring parts to upgrade my EJ8 to rear disc brakes, and I figure it would be a good idea to service the rear wheel/hub bearing while I have the salvaged Integra set lying around.

At first I was thinking I would just buy a new bearing and get it pressed into the hub, but Honda sells the bearing and hub together for 100ea. There is nothing wrong with my salvaged hubs as far as I can tell (could use a bit of cleaning, but that's it) so I don't really feel like adding $200 of parts to what has already become a more expensive than expected project.

Does anyone know how to service these bearings? Just smear some grease inside maybe?

The salvaged hubs are from a 90 Integra with well over 100k miles and my EJ8 has under 70k on it atm, so I want to be sure to install parts which are going to last the life of the car...

The drum brake hubs look very similar, except they are missing the gear ring (for ABS sensor??) on the inside.

drums

discs

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear wheel bearing service?

I think you can use your hubs on the integra spindles. When I did my conversion I just used the spindle and hub(no TA) and they looked exactly like my ej8's except with caliper mounting.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Your house, your mom's house, your dog's house... basically anywhere you've been! haha

I BELIEVE the bearings are PRESSED IN like the ones on the front... to service them you have to take your hub to a shop that has a machine press and have them press it out. THEN they would also have to press in the new ones. I THINK!! I used to work at Autozone and that's what I sorta remember! The wheel bearings themselves are $cheap$ BUT it's a pain in the *** to replace them. I have the same problem with my 92'' four door. It has Integra discs out back but my pass. side bearing is making a crapload of noise now. I'm gonna have to replace mine soon too. Hope this helps...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try your stock civic hub. Remove the dust cap by prying it off, there is a 32mm nut holding it on. Inform back.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure about the hubs being interchanged but, you can't service them, they are a sealed unit and should not be separated. The bearing can't be pressed out because it uses the actual hub as part of the race (must be replaced as a unit). I recommend you replace them just to be safe and make sure to get a new axle nut...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the replies

@ Meoshe: I would like to try this but I don't have the tools available at the moment. I do have the axel nut socket I used on the Integra (31mm for that one actually maybe it's different) but I have no jack/lift, and no impact wrench..

Even though my current spindle bearings only have about 70k miles on them it would still be nice to install a set with bearings that have less time on them. Although if it is totally impossible to change/service the bearings using the current ones would be my best option obviously.

@ kls023: That's exactly what I want to do, but Honda won't sell me the bearing by itself Granted it takes a press to do it, but going somewhere with a press and getting it done makes more sense than buying a new hub when the old one is perfectly good, other than having an old *** bearing in it. Good luck with yours too
Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM

hmm, I guess if there is no way replace/service the bearings I will look into the Meoshe's ideal.

@ camo: You're right that that would probably be the best way to go, but cost wise it's not the greatest for me right now. Pretty sure that I should be able to get another 100k or so out of the current ones (if I can use them.) If/when I actually do need to replace them, it's not that hard to do with the right tools.

I will definitely be getting new spindle nuts!