Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear trailing arms: drum vs disc

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear trailing arms: drum vs disc

i planned to do a rear disc conversion on my EH2, and I assumed that I needed rear trailing arms/hubs/calipers/cables/etc from a donor car.

well, now i've heard that all I'll need is the rear caliper brackets/calipers/cables (not hub/trailing arm) because once i remove the old drums, everything bolts directly to the drum trailing arms. which would mean that the rear drum trailing arms are the same as the rear disc trailing arms.

is this true?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Re: rear trailing arms: drum vs disc (DOHC-DX)

yes,you are correct,there are 4(i think) hex head bolts that holds the hub and the rear drums assymbly,if you jack the car up and look on the inside you can see them,you just unbolt those 4 bolts and the whole thing comes off,then the new discs will go up the same way,its way easier then replacing the whole arm.you will need the complete hub,disc,caliper and ebrake cables,the cables will not reach completely,they are a tad short on one side i think,but its no biggy,just use a few zip ties to keep it up in place.

[Modified by civictypenos, 2:20 PM 9/17/2002]
Old 09-17-2002, 10:27 AM

Default Re: rear trailing arms: drum vs disc (civictypenos)

ok, so I do need the disc hubs/bearings then?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See told ya. You need (Hub,Calipers,e brake cables, and get brand new fresh whatever you want rotors and pads). I think that is the list. The hubs you will need yes they are what make the swap happen. Oh and some
Old 09-17-2002, 10:52 AM

Default Re: rear trailing arms: drum vs disc (DX Hybridizer)

actually, i think i may just get the fastbrakes rear 11" kit while i'm at it to match my fronts
Old 09-17-2002, 03:13 PM

holy crap! best thread ever! i've been hittin up salvage yards for a month now lookin for gsr trailing arms and stuff to swap out my rear drums. do i seriously only need to grab the hubs and ebrake cables if im gettin aftermarket big brakes? to the person who posted this
Old 09-17-2002, 03:21 PM

.you will need the complete hub,disc,caliper and ebrake cables,the cables will not reach completely,they are a tad short on one side i think,but its no biggy,just use a few zip ties to keep it up in place.
No biggy that your parking brake cables are held off the ground with zip ties? I think not.

The trailing arm assembly from drums to discs ARE different. They have different brake line mounting points. Additionally, you need different brake lines for the rear calipers - they are dramatically different.

To do it right, you have to buy so many parts that you're just better off buying a junked trailing arm with all the parts already attatched, and put together in a convenient package.

That's why everybody else does it that way. It's cheaper and easier to do it right by getting the trailing arm.

Shawn
Old 09-17-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Re: rear trailing arms: drum vs disc (shawnhayes)

i can get new e-brake cables for $40, and i knew the flex lines are different... that goes w/o saying.

i don't want the trailing arms because:
they're heavy, and shipping is expensive
by replacing the trailing arms, i have to get an alignment done.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:04 AM

i can get new e-brake cables for $40, and i knew the flex lines are different... that goes w/o saying.
Getting a whole changeover though can be cheaper than the cost of new e-brake cables and flexible lines (if you know where to get a good deal)

i don't want the trailing arms because:
they're heavy, and shipping is expensive
by replacing the trailing arms, i have to get an alignment done.
Noted. They are heavy. However, when you replace the hub/rotor, you need an alignment anyway. Now way to get out of that one when you replace a rotating assembly.

Shawn
Old 09-18-2002, 04:20 AM

i have to say i disagree,it was much easier(ive done them both ways)to do just the hub,4 bolts,and off with the old and 4 bolts on with the new,i did not need an alignment when i got done,i dont understand why you would,if your tires where staight to start with why would they be off if you dont touch the adjustments.i did forget about the brake lines,yes you do need those,as far as using zip ties,i think i had to use 2 of them,the other 4 or 5 bolts lined up ok,so its not a big deal,your e brake cables are held up by alot of gas tank guards and heat sheilds under the car,its not like it going to fall off,i think the reason why people use the whole assymbly is just because they think they have too,if it where me and i was buying them from someone out of state,save your money and just get the hubs shipped,i bought claipers from a 90-93 integra for mine from a salvage yard and they bolt up fine,i spent $105 on my rear swap,that included shipping,new pads and everything,minus my ss brake lines.so,new revised list of parts you MUST have:

rear hubs
integra e brake cables
discs
calipers from 90-up integra or civic with discs
rear brake lines
the trailing arms are optional
brake pads and fluid
Old 09-18-2002, 04:24 AM

i have to say i disagree,it was much easier(ive done them both ways)to do just the hub,4 bolts,and off with the old and 4 bolts on with the new,i did not need an alignment when i got done,i dont understand why you would,if your tires where staight to start with why would they be off if you dont touch the adjustments
You're replacing the hub AXLE. One half a millimeter or so difference in the mounting at hub mounting point can change the alignment. The hub axle is longer on the disc brake system. If you don't understand how this can change the alignment, I'm wasting my time.

Shawn
Old 09-18-2002, 06:47 AM

One half a millimeter or so difference in the mounting at hub mounting point can change the alignment
yes, i do understand what you're saying. and you are exactly right.