Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Suspension Squeaks and Creeks (EJ6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Squeaks and Creeks (EJ6)

Posted this in the suspension forum but forgot how slow it was in there....

Ok, so I've had random noises coming from the rear suspension of my car for about a year now. Noises only come when the suspension articulates in normal driving conditions.

The Squeak sounds like it's coming from the LCA's? It's a rubbery sound (sounds like an over torqued/binding bushing?) But i've torqued and retorqued every damn bolt in the rear.

The creek is more of a metal on metal sound that comes at low speeds over bumps/railroad tracks and such.

I've replaced pretty much every arm on the rear suspension over the past month with after market parts and still get the noise.

The rear consists of:
Buddy Club Full Coilovers
Function7 LCA's
ASR Frame Brace
SRR Camber Arms
SRR Toe Adjuster Arms
Mugen Trailing Arm Bushings
and ALL new OEM hardware for every replaced part

Wondering if i should lube the whole suspension at all the connecting points? Or if it's just noise that the car itself makes and deal with it? I'm not running my sway bar either right now trying to find these noises

Any suggestions?! It's a 98 Civic DX coupe too btw.. and the noise was there too back when the car was on Si shocks and lowering springs
Old 06-10-2006, 06:58 AM

no ideas?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DXkid888)

There are Silicone Grease Spraycans that might be able to help you with this. They might be easier to use than a brush-applied lubricant. But if you're willing to disassemble your Suspension Arms, then you can use the grease you have "on hand".

Get that grease off of your hand, Harry Palmer!!
Hope this helps,
JasonGhostz
Old 06-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was having a squeek in the rear suspension on my del sol. It sounded like the shocks were bottoming out but they weren't. come to find out that my camber adjuster arms were not tight. the jamb nuts on the arms. and I had one bolt coming loose where the arm connected to the body.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 AM

i've gone over every single bolt at least 5 times in the past week trying to figure this out. I know full aftermarket suspensions especially with full coilovers you'll get noise sometimes but this is constant and is driving me nuts.

I'll lube everything this weekend and see what happens...

anyone else have some insight?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:58 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the car in the air and articulate the suspension to see where the noise is coming from, instead of just randomly guessing at the problem.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:01 AM

car was in the air twice and the suspension was moved as much as possible... only sound i got was a tiny squeak from the trailing arm to LCA bushing. Nothing like what it sounds like on the road
Old 06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol I get this also

let me ask you this, do you have a front/rear strut tower bar?
from previous experience when I dropped my car it creeked and squeaked on multiple bumps and roads, I threw on front and rear strut tower bars and never heard the noise after
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (Mr.RHTuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol I get this also

let me ask you this, do you have a front/rear strut tower bar?
from previous experience when I dropped my car it creeked and squeaked on multiple bumps and roads, I threw on front and rear strut tower bars and never heard the noise after </TD></TR></TABLE>
I have heard that too, I think the noise is the frame flexing. So strut bars would reduce that a lot.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mugenpowered)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugenpowered &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have heard that too, I think the noise is the frame flexing. So strut bars would reduce that a lot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeap, just think of it, lowering the car will cause the strut towers to cave in towards the car, and can create noise when flexing.

Strut tower bars helped me out, no lie...and the killer thing is they are some no-name ebay ones.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:53 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (Mr.RHTuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeap, just think of it, lowering the car will cause the strut towers to cave in towards the car</TD></TR></TABLE>
Um, no.