Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Suspension Creaking, Springs or Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Creaking, Springs or Bushings?

EG Civic Hatch with 200miles on the clock. Stock everything when I bought it.

I replaced with used DC2R Rear LCA, DC2R Shocks and King Superlow springs (Aussie 'average' brand). Not pov but not super high quality. Also running 23mm JDM rear swaybar and ASR Brace.

Since putting the Springs in, when I accelerate slowly I get a creak coming from the rear. Or also when I take off slowly (such as turning off and exiting a driveway).

I can only assume it's from the new springs that were put in or from shot bushings? How do I confirm?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Rear Suspension Creaking, Springs or Bushings?

Do you have any Poly bushings in any of those suspension pieces?

What kind of bushings are on the sway bar?

If you do not have any Poly bushings try to pre-load all your suspension pieces first and then see if it still squeak.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a creak that sounds just like yours. I just replaced my stock springs with teins, had the creak before and I still have it, so I know mine isn't the springs, I'll be curious to see what you/everyone else figures out
Old 11-17-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by D Griff
I have a creak that sounds just like yours. I just replaced my stock springs with teins, had the creak before and I still have it, so I know mine isn't the springs, I'll be curious to see what you/everyone else figures out
A couple people have said it might be the bushings. But $400 for Full Poly Bushings Kit and another whatever for Installation isn't a cheap "lets hope this works".

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Do you have any Poly bushings in any of those suspension pieces?

What kind of bushings are on the sway bar?

If you do not have any Poly bushings try to pre-load all your suspension pieces first and then see if it still squeak.
Naa, it's 100% stock. Even the DC2R Rear LCAs are stock (including bushings).

No Poly bushings. I'm considering the HARDRACE bushings through.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 AM

Did you pre-load all your suspension componets before you tighten the bolts down?

Hardrace stuff are awesome, I worked for a buddy of mine in West Palm Beach (velocityshop.com) and he sells them. If you need anything just hit them up and tell them Li sent ya. They have the complete bushing kit for your applications and it's a lot less then $400. If you were here I would change the bushings for ya for lunch....lol. Got the press sitting in the garage.

You know with that CTR sway bar the creaks that you hear might be the chassis itself. In my car there are just too many noises here and there thanks to the Avid mounts.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Did you pre-load all your suspension componets before you tighten the bolts down?

Hardrace stuff are awesome, I worked for a buddy of mine in West Palm Beach (velocityshop.com) and he sells them. If you need anything just hit them up and tell them Li sent ya. They have the complete bushing kit for your applications and it's a lot less then $400. If you were here I would change the bushings for ya for lunch....lol. Got the press sitting in the garage.

You know with that CTR sway bar the creaks that you hear might be the chassis itself. In my car there are just too many noises here and there thanks to the Avid mounts.
Hey thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's the chassis itself, after all I only started hearing the noises after I changed shocks.

I'm in Australia and already have a retailer lined up. Thanks for the heads up though.

I definitely didn't preload the suspension before tightening it up. Which parts in particular need pre-loading? Just the LCA's?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 AM

Any bushings in the suspension system that does not have a free floating bushing needs to be pre-loaded to get the maximum life out of the bushings plus your car will feel more stable on the roads, especially noticable on the highways.

Here is a quick run down: UCA bushings, FLCA bushings, Front shock fork mount bushings on the FLCA, RLCA bushings, RUCA(The bushing on the top trailing arm), and one that I did not even do is the Trailing arm bushing.

For the trailing arm bushings it's kind of difficult and myself is too lazy to do it but however you would install if your car was stock you have to accomodate for the drop and angle the bushing just enough to compensate.