Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K **

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K **

I was installing my koni yellows. the front went fine.. bla bla.
the rear fucked up on me

I was trying to take out a bolt and the head snapped on me. so I bought a screw extractor. so I drilled a hole and put the screw adapter in, and that also broke. (guarantied for life, lasted 20 minutes)

any ways, I really screwed here and I need my car on the road, so I'm trying to call junk yards to see if they have this part but I have no clue what it's called.

and since I have to replace this part should I do a conversion to SI brakes ? or integra brakes or something ?

and also, what year of vehicle would be a straight swap, obviously 92-95 civic. but what about 89-91 & 96-00 ?? and what year integra will be a direct swap too ?

thanks in advance

sorry for the big pictures, I'm at work and I have no aoftware execpt for paint

this is what it looks like now

the bolt that snapped

the other end of the bolt that go fucked (screw extractor broke off inside)

I need a new one of these WHAT IS THIS CALLED ?!!? I'm trying to call junk yard, but I don't know what to ask for
Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (Daniel_san)

im not sure...because the picture confuses me.

But I don't think you were supposed to take those bolts off.

for the rear, there are 2 bolts holding your LCA in place, you just take them off and put your shock on....

EDIT: just noticed you took the LCA out...double you tee eff mate?
I think thats your UCA bolt.
It looks like your trying to pull the whole rear assembly out. when you just needed to take off 2 bolts for your LCA.

EDIT AGAIN: your pictures are dated wrong.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (JUN EK9)

I was trying to take that bolt off becasue I was following a how to, made for stock suspention, I already had adjustable springs, so I didn't have to take it off.

now it's completely apart because I was trying to get that bolt off
Old 05-31-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT AGAIN: your pictures are dated wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

girl friend changed the batteries, and i guess she didn't set it up right.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (Daniel_san)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel_san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

girl friend changed the batteries, and i guess she didn't set it up right.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Women...

it must be an idiots how to, because there is no reason you need to take that off to replace shocks.

anti-seize, WD-40 and just keep trying to get that bitch loose. start putting your rear suspension on, because apparently the only thing that is wrong is that bolt. Call Honda or print one of those pictures and bring it into honda. and get that bolt replaced. maybe even the bushing too...is there any way you can get leverage on that bolt? get a breaker bar and give it a few good tugs.

Is the other side of the car having the same problem? or did you not even start on it yet? if you didnt start on the other side, don't do the same thing. just pull 2 bolts off of the LCA pull the LCA down pull off the old shock, put the springs on your yellows, and replace.

You took a step you didn't need to take, and now your in a position that you don't want to be in. Its a bitch ain't it?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:11 AM

the other side is done.

my breaker bar broke off the head of the bolt, I can't take it out.

and the screw extractor, that is reinforced metal that's guarantied for life broke at the other end. and it made the end part of the bolt bigger, so I can't take it out anymore. I can't even drill throught it.

I need to replace it
Old 05-31-2004, 10:14 AM

you need to ask for the whole driverside trailing arm
Old 05-31-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (JDMspecs Eg6'er)

trailing arm

that's what it's called ?

what year will work with my car ?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem in my 96 civic. The part your looking for is called a trailing arm. My advice is go with the rear disk you can use the trailing arm out of any civic 92-99 or any integra 94-01. These are all straight swaps, the only other parts you need for the rear disk conversion are parking brake cables and the proportioning value.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:17 AM

same thing happened to me.. and the broken piece wont come out.. this was on the lower one where the lca goes i think.
so you can either cut that black piece off witht he threads in it and weld a new nut on or get a whole new trailing arm
Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes its called trailing arm
Old 05-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the disc swap if you have the time and money... when that happend to me, i tried drilling out the whole bolt and was planning to tap the threads after i was done... i went through about 10 drill bits and gave up. get a chop saw and cut off that threaded peice, get a new bolt from honda and go with a nut and bolt configuration until you get all the parts for your disc conversion. i did mine about six months ago this way and it still holds. good luck!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (pb16b)

get the 92-95si disc swap....it will bolt in the easiest and cleanest. but the integra 94+ will also bolt on. you may have to get a brake booster..etc.....
Old 05-31-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Rear suspension/brake question. need help/ identify ! ASAP !! ** no 56K ** (dsmgsx916@yahoo.com)

I found a few

a 93 for 75$
a 99 for 250
and a 99 for 50$ (but it's 3 hours away)

I'll keep looking....

thanks alot guys,
hopefully my car will be back on the road tonight, and I'll finaly get to see how my koni's feel !!!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, in the future,
just remember that to remove shocks/springs
you only need to take off the lower control arm bolts, only 2 of them in the rear and the strut mount bolts(2 on top of the strut).

dont rely on online DIY's ,
they, more often than not, leave out vital info.
I used to do that, and have been screwed over because of it!

get a helms or at least chiltons manual.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

thats easy to fit grab a an electric saw hack the middle out then cut that nut off. get a new nut, upper traling arm and bolt and ur set.

i know one of mines are siezed up also i tried to take it off i can tell its siezed compared to the other side its always that one bolt that messes up everything
Old 05-31-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: (hayabusa160)

Ya, had the sameeeeeee thing happen to me. Man it sucked. Basically, heres what happened. The bolt is seized in the bushing. Ya, exactly what I said, how does a bolt seize in a bushing? Well it does. You dont have to go out and buy a new trailing arm. Get a grinder, and grind off the nut that is holding the bolt in there. Then try and pry the upper control arm out of the rear trailing arm. Then go buy a new upper control arm, and and bolt and nut the same size as the one that was on there, and your set. Thats what I did, and it worked out fine. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:52 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: (Kevedge)

Do these bolts sieze up because of time or because they were over-tightened in the past?

Old 05-31-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: (YOUR MAMA)

its moisture that causes it, alot of honda suspension bolts are fluted and moisture gets traped and will eventually rust the bolt to the spacer inside the bushing...
Old 05-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coseal)

I have got the passenger side and some parts for the driver side for sale if you want them. But I live in Canada and you would have to pay for the shipping. Here are my pics
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...&rd=1

I know this isn't the place to ***** these out but trying to help a fellow HT out!
Old 05-31-2004, 05:52 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: (CBracing)

I want to know where this DIY is that says you have to mess with that to change your suspension. All you do is undo 2 LCA bolts and the 2 upper hat bolts... What the ****?

Oh well, good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:36 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to know where this DIY is that says you have to mess with that to change your suspension. All you do is undo 2 LCA bolts and the 2 upper hat bolts... What the ****?

Oh well, good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why did you take that off? let me see this diy, its wrong. you werent supposed to touch that.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IVI)

oh my god what a dip,next time dont work on your car,for sake of the next diy adventure you try and pull off......all that to change some shocks...lmao
Old 06-03-2004, 07:51 PM

ey when ever you fix it and get it runnin, tell me if you hear popping in the back where the 2 bolts go. i tried to fix my rear camber by slidin washers in there. didnt fit so i put it back normal and the son of a bitch pops. really annoying. so yea pm me if you can. gl btw
Old 06-04-2004, 04:34 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel_san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the other side is done.

my breaker bar broke off the head of the bolt, I can't take it out.

and the screw extractor, that is reinforced metal that's guarantied for life broke at the other end. and it made the end part of the bolt bigger, so I can't take it out anymore. I can't even drill throught it.

I need to replace it</TD></TR></TABLE>

if its guarantied for life, take it back for a replacement. they should replace it for free. they better.