Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear struts on Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear struts on Del Sol

Hey all!

I've been cleaning up my Del Sol for sale, and one of the rear struts started leaking on the way home from picking up my new ride. The ride quality is noticeably degraded, so selling it without fixing this first is out of the question. Most work I'm not afraid to try, but after watching some videos on youtube of people trying to compress springs with clamps, I decided to call a local shop. Most of their work is pretty reasonable, but they quoted ~$500 parts and labor to replace both rears with OE. Considering I can get some cheapie shocks on Rock Auto for ~$20, I decided to come here and ask.

Name:  gBcootA.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  79.2 KB

There are no readable identifying markings on them anymore. I have no clue what brand these are.

I've never replaced shocks before, but it seems they're not sold with the springs already attached and compressed. Additionally, these were on here when I got the car, so I don't actually know what the stock stuff is supposed to look like, but they look easy enough to get off. It's just removing the springs that has me worried. I suspect if I buy a pair of shocks, these springs won't fit, so I'll need to buy the whole assembly, and spring compressors. I'm leaning toward "rather not", but I'm not sure what I should do.

So far as I can tell, all 3 trims of the Del Sol will use the same struts, and I suspect they're probably shared with the 92-95 Civic as well. If I go to a junkyard looking, are there any other cars (Integras?) that I should look for? It'd be nice to find a set of aftermarket adjustable coilovers, so the rears aren't completely unmatched from the fronts.

Or perhaps I should buy a pair of unassembled struts/springs and take them to a shop to have the springs put on? What parts will I need other than just strut and spring, and do springs fit pretty much universally?

Do any reputable stores sell them and ship them preassembled? I imagine that would be a serious shipping hazard.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear struts on Del Sol

I just did the rears with a Harbor Freight compressor and KYB shocks. Got new rubber mount (it was 300k old, but prob could have lasted) and bump stops from Honda dealer and put it all back together.

If you dont want to try, take it out of the car, and give to a different shop. It should only be a few mins of work, not $500!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those look like Koni coilovers that were purchased when the earth was still cooling.

Notice there is no lower mounting collar welded on like a normal shock.

Looks to be a triangular label on the inboard side. Triangular labels usually say Koni.

They MIGHT be koni yellows with some kind of fitted collar coil like ground control.

You don't need a spring compressor. No its not dangerous to ship shocks or strut assemblies...otherwise they'd have to have a factory in every town on earth. 92-95 civics, integras, and del sols share shock geometry.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Those look like Koni coilovers that were purchased when the earth was still cooling.

Notice there is no lower mounting collar welded on like a normal shock.

Looks to be a triangular label on the inboard side. Triangular labels usually say Koni.

They MIGHT be koni yellows with some kind of fitted collar coil like ground control.

You don't need a spring compressor. No its not dangerous to ship shocks or strut assemblies...otherwise they'd have to have a factory in every town on earth. 92-95 civics, integras, and del sols share shock geometry.
Extremely helpful, thanks. If in my position (planning to sell the car), what would you do?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, I didn't see the pic when I posted.

Those are NOT stock shocks.

Theres a tool that usually comes with the kit that loosens that large nuts at the bottom. You may be able to just loosen them that way. They still may be under compression, so be careful until you can tell for sure.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ecky
Extremely helpful, thanks. If in my position (planning to sell the car), what would you do?

Option1:
Find someone selling set of Del Sol or integra spring/shock assemblies. Civic springs may look a little funny...but might work also.

Try ebay or craigslist. Don't type in craigslust by mistake. Its...something else

Or if you want new stuff, rock auto shocks and no-name lowering springs should go on sans compressor.

Or sell the car as is and let the new owner know it needs shocks
Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Option1:
Find someone selling set of Del Sol or integra spring/shock assemblies. Civic springs may look a little funny...but might work also.

Try ebay or craigslist. Don't type in craigslust by mistake. Its...something else

Or if you want new stuff, rock auto shocks and no-name lowering springs should go on sans compressor.

Or sell the car as is and let the new owner know it needs shocks
This'll work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Left-Right-Strut-Shock-Coil-Spring-Assembly-Quick-2pc-Kit-W-Warranty-/281177184324?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIntegra&hash=item4177775844&vxp=mtr
Or this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-01-96-Acura-Integra-OEM-Rear-Shock-Strut-Spring-Assembly-x2-Set-/121352021547?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIntegra&hash=item1c4124e62b&vxp=mtr

Looks like for a bit more I can get a set of 4, but the fronts don't really need replacing.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If you are selling the del so just find a full set of integra struts and slap them on.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018
If you are selling the del so just find a full set of integra struts and slap them on.
Yep.

Unless you're confident you can raise the fronts up high enough for the car not to look like it's about to dive into the earth.

You'll want to get an alignment after all this.

Or...sell the car and let the new owner know that the shocks are blown.

You can't just buy 1. It will be the only corner that will be at stock ride height.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep.

Unless you're confident you can raise the fronts up high enough for the car not to look like it's about to dive into the earth.

You'll want to get an alignment after all this.

Or...sell the car and let the new owner know that the shocks are blown.

You can't just buy 1. It will be the only corner that will be at stock ride height.
I'll see how high I can get the front. If I don't replace those, I probably won't need an alignment. This is where I have it now and I think there's still a bit of upward adjustment:

Name:  OovnMux.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  153.1 KB
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Just find some integra struts, its better than what you have on there right now anyways.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Just find some integra struts, its better than what you have on there right now anyways.
Thanks. Found a set of 4 OEM struts pulled from a salvage GS-R for $100 shipped.

I appreciate everyone's helpfulness!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shocks came in yesterday, and it was a lot more work than I expected. Even with the springs already on them, I had to get a spring compressor to get them in, and then everything was so tight that I had a hell of a time getting the compressors back out. I only got one wheel done, but I think next time I'm just going to unbolt everything, and then lower the car onto a block of wood with a jack to get the control arms in place.

Also, even at their highest setting, the aftermarket shocks sat lower than the new Integra ones. The car looks pretty hilarious right now.