Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Strut Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Strut Problem!!

The bottom bolt on the rear strut is like rusted on, i have torched it, impacted it, and used a bar on a socket, IT WONT COME LOOSE. I might have to break it but i cant so a guy told me to cut it off. If i do so then the bushings might need to be replaced if i cant get the bolt off. What the hell should i do? Should i just leave the rear end 2in. higher, some people like that, but i need this damn car, its taking soo freaking long to do with this problem.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear Strut Problem!! (mOuse)

Have oyu soaked it overnight with pb blaster or something? it might help. with bolts like that (where you have to grab from each end and not just one. I use 2 1/2" socker breaker bars with 4 foot gas pipes on them. Also use craftsman sockets, or something with a warranty You may snap the bolt, but hey, you were gonna cut it anyway
Old 06-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Strut Problem!! (jolt-tsp)

umm.....isnt the nut on one side WELDED ON!!! make sure you are doing it from the bolt side not the nut side.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear Strut Problem!! (FifthGearOnline)

Scottsville NY?
Like in near Rochester?
Just drill the bolt out, drill out the bushing also, becareful to avoid ******* up the bushing, as it has a center sleeve made out of metal that the bolt passes thru and has likely rusted onto the bolt. You can drill out the bolt from the welded nut side also, (carefully) if you are a patient man. The bushing is the piece to preserve.. any dealer will charge you $35 to remove the old one and $30 for the new one and $20 to install it, then they try to compare that to the $90 for anew LCA and usually people go for the new LCA, then that sucks, you can get poly bushings for like $15 shipped and be better off because you can remove the bushings with a drill some time an da hacksaw or machine-shop-hydraulic-press. If you need any helkp with the bushings, let me know, I can remove them at my work as well.
--->Also, are you re-using the shocks? If not, drill that fugger out without any worries.

I have spare susp. bolts and I am in Downtown Rochester, you can have one for free, if you need two then I have two but thats over the limit of niceness and I'll ask for $6 for the pair. Email or IM me or call me at 328-7044 if you do need the bolt asap. Holtz or Ide or Ontario Honda will have them but they are like $6 each. (fuggers!)

It is really common for the bolts to rust to the inside sleeve in the rear bushings. Especially in the Northeast where salt is used on roads in the winter. I have responded to dozens of threads about this same thing. SEARCH is your friend here on Honda-tech.
Owen
Old 06-09-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Rear Strut Problem!! (FifthGearOnline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FifthGearOnline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm.....isnt the nut on one side WELDED ON!!! make sure you are doing it from the bolt side not the nut side. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tha's what i was thinking too...
Old 06-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Strut Problem!! (AntiRice Superstar)

My bad, I was thinking of the front fork
Old 06-09-2003, 04:30 PM

is the bushing part something i can do myself or is it pressed in, and if i have you do it, im gonna have to take the whole LCA out arent I. Damn, is suspension really worth all this bullshit, I hate rust. And yeh scottsville as in rochester. what kind of car do you have man, we should chill sometime, if i get done this week i am gonna go to the beach sunday, maybe i could ,meet u there
Old 06-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mOuse)

I am in the middle of the same problem i lowered it by just taking of the entire LCA while it was attatched to the strut because its a daily driver and i couldnt just have no car but now the rears are blown and i cant get them off i only put nuespeed sports on it and it blew them i was told to just cut the bolt get a new bolt push the old bushing and replace it as well so im waiting on my bnushings at the time and then i guess ill see what happens i heard that this happens a lot on eg's oh by the way i got the nut that is supposed to be welded to the strut off is this bad?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mOuse)

the bushing you can remove by hacksawing the outer sleeve out by hand then inserting a poly bushing with a big C clamp by hand.

if you choose a oem honda bushing to replcve the funked up one, then you MUST use a hydraulic press to push that style of bushing in.

I would order poly bushings for the rear lower shocks.
Then drill out the bolt, drill out the bushing, cut out the outer sleeve in the bushing twice then pop the bushing out of the LCA with a chisel or punch and then insert the new poly bushing, good to go.

rockon.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (owen_the_soyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by owen_the_soyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I would order poly bushings for the rear lower shocks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I did, much easier to install yourself, and fairly cheap. I also had the old OEM bushings pressed out at a local shop, only cost me 30 bucks to get 3 pressed out, not bad.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:56 AM

Hey owen, can i talk to you personally if i call that number in the post. i am starting to get confused. Thanks man, just let me know