Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear lower tie bar with Suspension Tech sway bars...which tie bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear lower tie bar with Suspension Tech sway bars...which tie bar?

This is just a call to everyone who has ST sway bars installed in their EJ1's, but mostly about the rear sway bar. I currently have a Skunk2 rear lower tie bar in place with my ST rear sway bar, but it needed to have like 7 washers per side to clear the sway bar, and now the lower control arm bolt, even though it is longer than a stock OEM bolt, is barely holding by a couple of threads.

I just would like to know if anyone else has this problem and what lower tie bar will fit with a ST sway bar without modification like my ghetto washer spacer trick, should I replace it with a Spoon or Nuespeed

I will try to provide pics for the people who cannot visualize this....
Old 01-20-2003, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear lower tie bar with Suspension Tech sway bars...which tie bar? (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

i can visualize this all too clearly... the same thing happened to me when i put the itr rear sway with beaks kit on. i had a skunk 2 bar which is designed to be spaced out like an inch already and i would have had to add another inch of spacers to clear the setup, i said "**** that" and i got a benen bar, beaks has a kit for like$10(i"spacer and 115mm bolts) which will space the benen bar out enough to work, and the good thing is you can use lca bolts that are even smaller than the skunk ones so its even stronger.

dont get me wrong the skunk bar is nice but it just wont work with a swaybar. i sold it last week for $85 so i only ended up spending about $40 to upgrade to the benen one which is a 1 piece design too. the spoon bar (and the dc bar) will work with no spacers but it is expensive and it is definatley not as rigid as the benen, the neuspeed is the almost same as the skunk design so i dont think it will work.

one last thiing... if you do not plan on selling your skunk bar and you do pick up a benen one, you can use the skunk bolts along with washers to properly space it to clear the swaybar.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear lower tie bar with Suspension Tech sway bars...which tie bar? (euclid)

where can i get the benen one at?

i can visualize this all too clearly... the same thing happened to me when i put the itr rear sway with beaks kit on. i had a skunk 2 bar which is designed to be spaced out like an inch already and i would have had to add another inch of spacers to clear the setup, i said "**** that" and i got a benen bar, beaks has a kit for like$10(i"spacer and 115mm bolts) which will space the benen bar out enough to work, and the good thing is you can use lca bolts that are even smaller than the skunk ones so its even stronger.

dont get me wrong the skunk bar is nice but it just wont work with a swaybar. i sold it last week for $85 so i only ended up spending about $40 to upgrade to the benen one which is a 1 piece design too. the spoon bar (and the dc bar) will work with no spacers but it is expensive and it is definatley not as rigid as the benen, the neuspeed is the almost same as the skunk design so i dont think it will work.

one last thiing... if you do not plan on selling your skunk bar and you do pick up a benen one, you can use the skunk bolts along with washers to properly space it to clear the swaybar.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Rear lower tie bar with Suspension Tech sway bars...which tie bar? (careawholelot)

check the classifieds first b/c they pop up once in a while. manchester honda carries them, http://www.manhonda.com (i think) and you can talk to 2ktyperhatch on H-T, he runs chaptereleven and stocks benen too.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear lower tie bar with Suspension Tech sway bars...which tie bar? (euclid)

thanks euclid
Old 01-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you so much Euclid, I will check into that Benen bar and I will sell my Skunk2 bar when i find one ...