Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear drum were making squeeking/rubbing noise, did full brake job, rear still squeeking...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear drum were making squeeking/rubbing noise, did full brake job, rear still squeeking...

to start off stock brake system on 96 civic ex.

a few months ago my passenger rear drum started to make a rubbing/creeking noise only when I braked, it was louder the slower my speed was, like when going 15mph and pulling up to a stop sign. so I inspected all brake hardware, it was good and the wheel spun freely, so i figured somethin was out of round. About 2 weeks ago I did a full brake job, pads/rotors on front, and new shoes/drums on rear. now, instead of a creeking noise, whenever I brake a get a loud squeeking noise, sounds like someone windexing making that squeeking noise.

any idea what could be causing this. i searched and found topics about people with rear disk brakes squeeking and someone suggested taking a screw driver and etching a groove on em. would this work for a drum as well? i know its not the wheel bearing or anything like that, they were inspected and like said the wheel spins freely.

this ONLY occurs while braking. I went to a large open parking lot and did some hard braking, from 50 to about 20 you can barely hear it, but when i get below 20 and brake to a stop its a loud squeek squeek squeek noise.

sorry for the long post but this has been bothering me and i can't figure it out. any help or suggestions would be great.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Re: rear drum were making squeeking/rubbing noise, did full brake job, rear still squeeking... (home

daily bump..

anyone got any suggestions
Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear drum were making squeeking/rubbing noise, did full brake job, rear still squeeking... (home

well when i had my 96 hatch....there was dust buildup in the drums, took those off and cleaned them. Fixed it
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 AM

giving it one last bump...

The drums and shoes are all brand new. When I put em on i was sure to clean it all out good.

I recently had a thought, could the squeeking be caused by a failing wheel cylinder? If it's not pushing both shoes out evenly would that cause the noise? It's only a 12 dollar part, but I don't want to mess with it unless the general consensus is that it could be the problem.

any input would be appreciated
Old 02-23-2006, 05:34 AM

giving it one last bump...

The drums and shoes are all brand new. When I put em on i was sure to clean it all out good.

I recently had a thought, could the squeeking be caused by a failing wheel cylinder? If it's not pushing both shoes out evenly would that cause the noise? It's only a 12 dollar part, but I don't want to mess with it unless the general consensus is that it could be the problem.

any input would be appreciated