Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear drum can still rotate while e-brake is on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear drum can still rotate while e-brake is on?

Here is a problem im currently going through, seeing if any of you guys have any experience/knowledge to help me resolve this.

Just finished installing a new wheel hub/bearing on the driver side rear drum, after putting everything back together I had some difficulty putting the outer drum back on due to lack of clearance from the shoes. After adjusting the adjusting screw all the way in and squeezing in the piston i managed to get it on. I pulled on the e-brake and it felt a little loser than usual. went outside and tried to spin the driver wheel hub and it spun after applying little force. the passenger side does not spin at all. with the ebrake off it takes a little force to spin the driver wheel but the passenger spins with almost no force.

I then turned the car on, opened the resorvoir and pumped the brakes to see if it would adjust but nothing happened. The brake pedal felt a little stiffer than normal.

Another thing i noticed is when i was first replacing the hub, i noticed the cylinder had a little leak around the rubber boot thing. I would pass a rag by the boot and a little ball of fuid would form slowly.

Im going to try and adjust the ebrake cable through the center console per the 92-95 civic/del sol manual and see how that goes, even though it feels like the shoes are rubbing against the hub even while the e-brake isnt engaged.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear drum can still rotate while e-brake is on?

another thing when i spin the driver wheel hub, it will spin freely and get stuck at a certain place, then spin and get stuck.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If the wheel cylinder is leaking you'll need to replace it, Also the drum getting stuck and certain points means it's out of round. To adjust the brakes pull the rubber plug out of the backing plate and turn the star wheel so there is a slight drag on the drum when you turn it, then adjust your parking brake cable.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after much inspection and comparison, I think the upper spring that holds the shoes together might be lose because the spacing it has for the adjuster is not going over it, and at the position that the spring holds the shoes i have about a half inch gap from the shoe to the cylinder. I compared my other spring and i could not even get it off the shoes and the way the ends are compared to the driver side, it makes the driver side spring look like two people got on separate ends of the spring and just pulled and stretched it out.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
If the wheel cylinder is leaking you'll need to replace it, Also the drum getting stuck and certain points means it's out of round. To adjust the brakes pull the rubber plug out of the backing plate and turn the star wheel so there is a slight drag on the drum when you turn it, then adjust your parking brake cable.

Just ordered the cylinder and the brake hardware kit. Ill have to adjust the brakes and see about getting the drums machined or replaced in a week when i come back from vacation.

Last edited by DeLSoLRo; 05-05-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DeLSoLRo
Im sure they sell a complete set and not just that one.
Normally it comes as a kit, I think The last one I bought was something like $9 for the kit for both sides. It was definitely less than $20.