Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear drum brake noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear drum brake noise problem

Alright folks, I know this isn't entirely RR/AX related, but this is the only part of HT that I can really trust (plus a lot of you have experience with adjusting drums on a regular basis like I do)...

This past weekend I went to a 2-day Divisional Autocross. On Day 1, I made my 4 runs, then as I'm leaving the grid area to the pits to park my car, I noticed my right rear drum was making a somewhat loud "scraping" cyclical pulsating noise (sounded just like the shoes traveling over the drum, but very loudly).

When I parked the car I took the RR wheel off and popped the drum off. Everything *looked* fine as far as I could tell, but I just don't know, so I clicked the star wheel adjuster a few times and put the drum back on.

Sound was gone on the drive home and back, but it came back on Day 2 after making another 4 runs. Later on that day I readjusted it and the noise went away, but came back later on tht night when I got off the highway and had the car traveling slow enough to hear the noise.

The only thing I've done in recent times is bleed the brakes and adjust the rear drums a week before the event. The brake pedal still feels fine, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem. Could it be a bad wheel cylinder, or a bent part? What should I look for when popping off the drum? BTW, the interior of the brake assembly is somewhat clean, as it has been sprayed with brake parts cleaner recently...
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: rear drum brake noise problem (snouka)

Same problem for me. The only difference is that I changed my LR drum pads even if they were fine to start with. After noticing they were good, I decided to leave the RR brakes alone since the were ok. I did change the drums and adjusted them but there's a rattling sound coming from the RR brake.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be
Old 06-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear drum brake noise problem (snouka)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snouka &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same problem for me. The only difference is that I changed my LR drum pads even if they were fine to start with. After noticing they were good, I decided to leave the RR brakes alone since the were ok. I did change the drums and adjusted them but there's a rattling sound coming from the RR brake.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be </TD></TR></TABLE>

^ so you changed the LR pads but not the RR pads? i would change pads on both even if they were okay and you only did the LR. However like you said, it seems that there is a loose bolt/screw or something holding the rotor thats prolly making that noise. It maybe that one pad is adjusted and the other is loose?? hope this helps.