Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear disk swap e-brake cable help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 12:11 PM
s73
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear disk swap e-brake cable help!

i am doing a rear disk swap on my 97 ex 2dr....the trailing arm w/ disk brakes came off of a delsol, i got the e-brake cables off of a tag.....

the install was pretty smooth, entill we get to the e-brake cable part, I was about 2 inch short!!!!....

my queston is....for those who done this swap.....did u guys run the cables in the stock location or did u have to run them differentlly? If so, how did u guys run them....

thanks a lot, need help soon, car has no hand brake now!!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

they should have a little nut to adjust them.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rear disk swap e-brake cable help! (s73)

you need civic si 99-00 ebrake cables they are a little longer.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:44 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: rear disk swap e-brake cable help! (aznbo1626)

for del sol rear discs you MUST use 99-00 Si cables. teg e-brake cables will only work properly with teg calipers. The teg caliper mounts for the e-brake cables are in a different position than they are for the del sols (del sol mounts being in the same place as 99-00 Si) I suggest about $180 and a trip to the local honda dealer to get you a set.

Do NOT attempt to leave the e-brake cable retainer bolts undone and just "mount" the cables loose. They WILL come loose in a small amount of time and either fly up off the road and get tangled in your brake rotors, drag the ground, or rip off all together.

I've seen all three instances first hand. bad juju
Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: rear disk swap e-brake cable help! (stackz)

a friend of mines got disc brakes on his 98 hatch and the shop that did it used 99-00 si cables i doin't know what trailing arms they used
Old 10-10-2004, 08:34 PM
s73
New User

Stackz>>
i thought the sol and the tag rear calipers are the same, i have 2 sets of rear brakes at home (i used the sol ones cos its in better shape)....but i guess you are most likely right

wow, i guess my only choice is to get some 99-00 si cables

i had two sets of cables, one set off of the delsol, one set off of the tag, the tag cables seems to be a bit longer so i used the tag cables. i mounted the cables in the same location as my stock drum brake cables....and when i went inside to hook it up to the hand brake handle itself, its like 2 inchs too short.....errrr

is there a way i can mount them so that i can use the tag cables? could i bolt them to different locations? or am i stuck with a trip to the honda dealer ?$$$

thanks for the replies
Old 10-10-2004, 08:48 PM
s73
New User

i been looking all over the net for these cables, all i can find was :

honda part number

47510-s04-932, and 47560-s04-932

there were listed as "wire a, R. parking brakes" and "wire a, L. parking brake"

are those part numbers for only the "wire" or the whole thing....cos the wire wouldn't help me much....

i have no idea if these are the whole wire, or just that inner piece....no clue, any body got a set for sale? or knows where to find one? (it was like 36 bucks each, seems a bit too cheap)

let me know guys, thanks a lot

Modified by s73 at 6:06 AM 10/11/2004
Old 10-13-2004, 04:23 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s73 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stackz&gt;&gt;
i thought the sol and the tag rear calipers are the same, i have 2 sets of rear brakes at home (i used the sol ones cos its in better shape)....but i guess you are most likely right

wow, i guess my only choice is to get some 99-00 si cables

i had two sets of cables, one set off of the delsol, one set off of the tag, the tag cables seems to be a bit longer so i used the tag cables. i mounted the cables in the same location as my stock drum brake cables....and when i went inside to hook it up to the hand brake handle itself, its like 2 inchs too short.....errrr

is there a way i can mount them so that i can use the tag cables? could i bolt them to different locations? or am i stuck with a trip to the honda dealer ?$$$

thanks for the replies
</TD></TR></TABLE>

put the delsol and teg calipers next to each other and look at the area for the e-brake cable. It's been a while and I've since sold my civic but I remember the mount being on the TOP of one caliper and waaayyy down on the other. I'm pretty sure it was the teg caliper that had the e-brake mount way down on the bottom.

Main reason I know this is I had one of my delsol calipers lock on me and I tried to toss a teg caliper on thinking they were the same. Too bad they weren't.

You MUST use the correct e-brake lines. Simply trying to reroute them without mounting them to the trailing arms like they should be will cause binding issues with the cable inside it's sleeve. That and you might find yourself either without an e-brake the one time you really need it....or you'll find yourself with one that you can't de-activate when you dont want it and it'll just burn up the brakes.

As for the e-brake cables. I have no clue what that was you found but I've never seen anyone sell an unsleeved e-brake cable. Just go to the honda dealer and have them personally look up the different cables and get the numbers from them. Also, make sure you're looking at the screen with them when they do this. They have a tendancy to hire monkeys that just punch buttons and dont always know they looked up the wrong part....
Old 10-13-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: rear disk swap e-brake cable help! (stackz)

The teg mount for the e-brake is on top fo show. I just did my rear disc swap about 6 months ago and know this without reservation. Very good luck with the rest of the swap. They are a pain in the ****.

-Shane
Old 10-14-2004, 02:26 AM
s73
New User

Default Re: rear disk swap e-brake cable help! (nighttrain33)

first of all, thanks for the replies guys....

Stackz&gt;&gt;
i just went to take a look, the ebrake cable hook ups its on the top.....i guess it might depend on what year delsol we are talking about....i know the one i used was from the sol (at least thats what the guy that sold it to me said.....its one of those odd models....its a delsol vtec that has rear disks but no abs....he said that they only made ones like that for a 1/2 of a model year)....i have two sets of trailing arm/rear brake sets at home.... i match a set of gsr ebrake cables w/ the delsol cables.....the GSR ones are about 2in longer.......but its still too short for me....i already placed an order for a set, its still on order....they say it will take a week...i got a feeling that it will take longer...but you are right, i should do it once and do it right.

nighttrain33&gt;&gt;
ya.....my ebrake cable hookups is on the top too....i guess maybe honda had a few different types of rear disk brakes for the tag going around.....like i seen both 15/16 and 7/8 MC on stock civic ex's and both 15/16 and 7/8 MC's on stock 99-00 civic si's.....