Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear disk question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear disk question

friend is telling me if i put gsr rear disk on my hatch they wont work properly since i dont have abs is this true?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear disk question (oramac_eg)

false...........
Old 11-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What he's maybe thinking is that you don't have the wrong proportioning valve, which is most likely correct. IIRC when you swap to rear disc from drum you need to replace the proportioning valve with the one from the disk car. Also, it is a good idea to swap the fronts to the disks from the donor vehicle also, but is not necessary. Only reason I say this is because you will have more braking force in the rear than before, and under certain specific conditions you may be able to lock the rear up.

Your best bet is to look for Unbrakeable's thread on this in the Archive. Everything you wanted to know about brakes on a Honda/Acura vehicle is in there including swaps, sizes, and the parts you need.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The_Honda_Guy)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1998336

FAQ's brotha......

The information flows like wine.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so when doing the integra rear disk conversion into the eg i would need the integra proportioning valve + master cylinder + booster = proper working brakes right?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oramac_eg)

^^ yezzir... dont forget teggy brake cables too.....
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrenchez81)

You don't have to have the MC and booster if your only doing the rear disc conversion. If your hatch is an EG then you have a 13/16's MC which is crappy. Get a new one from a 91 Civic EX Sedan. It is a 15/16's MC and it bolts right up with no modification.

Remember that the size is always stamped on the side of the MC. The integra MC and booster will require a bending of brake lines because they don't line up the same. However, all 94-01 ABS Integra's have a 1" MC and it is the best. Also, if you are going with the Integra MC and booster, get a 98-01, the fitting and flare size from your hatch is the same and no modification is required other then bending the lines. There is lots of info on this.......FAQ's! Also search, I have posted this info before, with pics.

Modified by iliv2xlr8 at 3:01 PM 11/13/2008
Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oramac_eg
so when doing the integra rear disk conversion into the eg i would need the integra proportioning valve + master cylinder + booster = proper working brakes right?
Thats not entirely correct. If you want the brakes to work, the way honda intended follow one of the two scenarios below

Scenario 1
stock front brakes, stock master cylinder, '92 Si proportioning valve, integra or civic rear disks.

Why it works? Because this is exactly how the '92 Si's are set up. Non abs, 13/16 master cylinder, different Si proportioning valve and rear discs.

Scenario 2
Integra front brakes, Integra brake booster and master cylinder combo a non abs integra, or stock booster and '91 EX master cylinder. non abs integra proportioning valve, civic or integra rear discs.

Why it works? Because this is how the non abs integras are set up. Non abs, 15/16s or 7/8 master cylinder, 4040 proportioning valve, larger front rotors and calipers, rear discs.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to add to it all, i went with 95 teg rear disk (YES THEY WERE ABS) i just removed all that ****. 95 teg 1" master cylinder and booster and 4040 prop valve (NON ABS) and 95 teg from knuckles rotors and calipers (WERE ABS) again removed abs ****. you need the knuckles cause the dx civic wont fit the rotors and calipers.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the eg came with ex front brakes witch should the same as integra i have a cx model
what year integra didnt come with abs?
how can i tell the abs brakes apart from the non abs?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Seagull Management

the eg came with ex front brakes witch should the same as integra i have a cx model
what year integra didnt come with abs?
how can i tell the abs brakes apart from the non abs?
It wasn't so much a year thing as a trim level thing IIRC. RS integras I believe did not have ABS. As far as abs parts and non abs all that matters is that the master cylinder and prop valve be from a non abs car. the master cylinder uses one larger line on ABS models requiring you to cut and splice a brake line with a reducing adapter. The ABS civics, not sure about the intgras don't use any sort of a normal proportioning valve IIRC, they use an ABS box. near the charcol canister.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:11 AM

Not true. You dont NEED to change your master cylinder or proportioning valve or the servo, rear discs work fine with the originals.

Upgrading the whole lot is a good idea but not strictly necessary, im still running my old proportioning valve even though i have rear discs and have had no problems whatsoever
Old 11-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gstewart27)

And they will operate "fine". The difference is at the limit. Drum brakes require more hydraulic pressure then disc brakes. As such, the proportioning valve is different from drum to disc.

If you run the drum valve with rear disc you will probably not see a problem with normal breaking. But when you have to brake hard because someone pulled in front of you, the rears will lock and the fronts will not get the appropriate pressure they need.

Manufacturers do things for a reason. Cars are our hobbies, but it comes a point to where its a safety issue. When my wife is in the car, I want to know that my setup is doing exactly what it should be, if not better.

I am doing this same swap on my 93 dx hatch. The prop valve was $40 shipped from a person here on hondatech. Just post in the WTB, do it right, and feel that peace of mind.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i might have to do that cant find any non abs integras in the junk yard
Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Re: (iliv2xlr8)

Originally Posted by iliv2xlr8
If you run the drum valve with rear disc you will probably not see a problem with normal breaking. But when you have to brake hard because someone pulled in front of you, the rears will lock and the fronts will not get the appropriate pressure they need.
Thats not true - locked my front brakes a few times but never the backs, people told the same thing as you're saying before i upgraded my brakes but i cant get the backs to lock at all, the calipers are so small i doubt they have the power to lock the wheels tbh
Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by gstewart27
Thats not true - locked my front brakes a few times but never the backs, people told the same thing as you're saying before i upgraded my brakes but i cant get the backs to lock at all, the calipers are so small i doubt they have the power to lock the wheels tbh
X2. I run stock front brakes (because 13s wont clear anything larger) stock MC, stock prop valve and rear discs. I would also like to not that I drive in snow and ice for 6 months of the year. I have never had the rears lock up once before the fronts. I had intended to replace the prop valve if it was different, had my local honda dealership cross reference the part, they said the number was the same, turns out they screwed up and the part number is off by one digit.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gstewart27

Not true. You dont NEED to change your master cylinder or proportioning valve or the servo, rear discs work fine with the originals.

Upgrading the whole lot is a good idea but not strictly necessary, im still running my old proportioning valve even though i have rear discs and have had no problems whatsoever
x2

I was in the same boat with my old hatch. I hate it when people say you NEED to change prop valve and master cylinder when doing a rear conversion.