Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear disk brake dustshields- ? on install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear disk brake dustshields- ? on install

I'm almost done with my rear disc conversion on my 93 coupe, and I just realized tonight I do not have the dustguards that sit behind the rotor. I'm trying to pick some up used,but was wondering
A: do I really need them? Anyone run rear discs without the dustshields?
B: do I have to pull the rear axle to put them on, (rotor and caliper are not on yet, so they wont be a problem). from pics I've seen, it almost looks like I'm going to have to pull the hubs to put on the dustshields, which yells "PITA" to me.
Thanks fopr any info you can throw my way.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: rear disk brake dustshields- ? on install (clarkekent13)

I'm not sure how or why the dustshields are off of your rear discs, but I will tell you one thing. Civics don't have rear axles.......
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear disk brake dustshields- ? on install (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure how or why the dustshields are off of your rear discs, but I will tell you one thing. Civics don't have rear axles....... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont run them, and yes I beleive the hubs do have to come off to put them on.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i swapped in rear discs but dont have any rear dust shields. drives fine, then again ive only driven 50 miles on them.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, they're there for a reason, but they're not required for proper function of your vehicle. They're just there to help the rest of the assembly last longer.

If you want to replace them, they're about $25-35 (each) new. I'm unsure as to the compatibility of splashguards & spindles, but it's always best to go with the same chassis family as the donor TA/Spindle. If you did an ABS upgrade and want to get new shields, you'll have to get the shields with the sensor/trigger wiring cutout.

Try to identify the chassis from which the donor arms originated. This will help you figure out which ones to buy (if any)... The AEM/PowerSlot disc conversion kit doesn't include these guards (but keep in mind that they discontinued this product for whatever reason). Beware of the weathering of your brake components, especially if you live in a wet area.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...1.gif
(1993 Civic 3DR SI (non-ABS))
To remove/remount your mudguards (34,35), you need to remove: your wheel, your caliper, your rotor (and the MFPITA retaining screws), your hub's dust cap, your (unstaked) spindle nut & washer, and your rear hub/bearing assembly. The inner diameter of the mudguard should seat snugly around the base of the outter spindle shaft, and is too small to pull over the hub or rotor. Use this opportunity to slap some more grease into the assembly.

But keep in mind that it might be better to go through the trouble now, instead of having to buy a new caliper or having your hubs freeze earlier than they're supposed to... I'll post some pix of what neglect looks like on another thread, with the mudguards on...

But I think the mudguards are SOOOO FREAKING COOL!!!!! It's so.. OEM!!!

Hope this helped,
JasonGhostz
Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The also assist in the channeling of air to help keep the brakes cool.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure how or why the dustshields are off of your rear discs </TD></TR></TABLE> they (the shields,not the "axles" ) were bent up, and were removed before the assembly was shipped.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but I will tell you one thing. Civics don't have rear axles....... </TD></TR></TABLE> oh yeah??
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...+BEAM

ok- so I'm being a smartass, and to me for calling it an axle rather than a "hub unit" - I know better.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and thanks for the replies everyone, my car needs to get on the road, So I'll just run without them until I get them in on order from my local dealership. I live around Seattle- where we invented the term "wet weather "
Old 10-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rear disk brake dustshields- ? on install (4door_demon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_demon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont run them, and yes I beleive the hubs do have to come off to put them on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't speak for every Civic-based platform out there, but on my Del Sol you can install & remove shields without removing the hub assembly with a 3/8" wrench & short socket.

In part the shields help prevent debris from getting into the assembly and jamming the mechanism. You can run without them but obviously if you're unlucky you'll wish you had them installed.

When I snapped the bolts last year I ended up running without them for a couple weeks until I found the time to drill out the bolts and ziptie them onto the hub assembly, so you certainly can run without them.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear disk brake dustshields- ? on install (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can't speak for every Civic-based platform out there, but on my Del Sol you can install & remove shields without removing the hub assembly with a 3/8" wrench & short socket.

In part the shields help prevent debris from getting into the assembly and jamming the mechanism. You can run without them but obviously if you're unlucky you'll wish you had them installed.

When I snapped the bolts last year I ended up running without them for a couple weeks until I found the time to drill out the bolts and ziptie them onto the hub assembly, so you certainly can run without them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It rings around the hub-

As for protecting against debree, well debree can still get caught in there, and with the shields it has nowhere else to go, at least without them, that 1 in a million peice of debree could at least escape.