Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear disc swap / trailing arm bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear disc swap / trailing arm bushing

I purchased a rear swap some time ago and finally got around to installing it into my 96 EX coupe. The trailing arm bushings are pretty beat up, almost to the point to where I can break the rubber out by hand.

I found the tutorial on swapping the bushing but am considering using black silicon glue (like the kind used for replacing windshieds) to strengten the bushing back up.

I've read that some people do this to their engine mounts vs. buying new solid mounts or inserts.

Has anyone done this and do you think it's a viable alternative to replacing the stock bushings?

I plan on having the rear end compressed to close to ride height before I apply the glue and will likely not completely fill the voids but maybe up to 60-75%.

Any sound advice/opinions is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Rear disc swap / trailing arm bushing

The glue isn't going to do much...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you say that? It's tough stuff when hardened IMO. I was actually concerned that it would be too stiff.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A few links for this process being done on motor mounts.

http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15139

If there's not much input, I'm gonna try it over the holiday break.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let us know how it works out. My torque mounts are filled with window weld.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by laopadak303
Why would you say that? It's tough stuff when hardened IMO. I was actually concerned that it would be too stiff.
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesv...g/bushing.html
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a vital part of your suspension, I’m sure it could be done and probably last years, but then a lot of the stress will be put on your other bushings. Those bushings are designed to flex and with window glue it will not flex. If you’re looking for a harder bushing then oem, look into hard race, I’ve heard nothing but good things from people who have used them.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

PIC Bushings

My friend tried it, It was a complete waste of time. The car rode like complete **** after, and it failed a couple months later.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok dont do it yourself cause you dont have too take it to a dealership they have replace it for free!!!! i said free!!! its a factory recall they replace it with one thats mugen! ok but heres the catch any dealership will try to f**k u because they wont make any money remember its a recall its replaced free this a win win deal cause your getting the best parts with labor free and if they try to charge u or say no with some kind of warranty bullshit that your suspension has been modded and its void lol this is what u do get them to print u out the reason that they will not do the work on a dealership letter head (not a plain sheet of paper its has to be from there)the signature of the person that told u and a witiness. than go see a lawyer (lawsuit are usually probono) u have right under the constition amd sema (i have any case files for the lawyer just in case they stupid too . you will not even have go to court they will have to settle (then u can go to that dealership with there money and grab u crz or something
Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ps hardrace bushing and mugen bushing are the same
Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastfish13
ok dont do it yourself cause you dont have too take it to a dealership they have replace it for free!!!! i said free!!! its a factory recall they replace it with one thats mugen! ok but heres the catch any dealership will try to f**k u because they wont make any money remember its a recall its replaced free this a win win deal cause your getting the best parts with labor free and if they try to charge u or say no with some kind of warranty bullshit that your suspension has been modded and its void lol this is what u do get them to print u out the reason that they will not do the work on a dealership letter head (not a plain sheet of paper its has to be from there)the signature of the person that told u and a witiness. than go see a lawyer (lawsuit are usually probono) u have right under the constition amd sema (i have any case files for the lawyer just in case they stupid too . you will not even have go to court they will have to settle (then u can go to that dealership with there money and grab u crz or something
WUT
Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings in my 95 and they've been working good. The car rolled like crazy on the worn out stock bushings but now handles good. They're definitely stiffer than stock too and not very expensive (less than OEM replacements)
Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to,

Reasons, 1, you have no proof. 2, Why in the hell would honda use MUGEN bushings?
3, I have never ever heard of anything such as this, and my friend's dad has been working at honda for over 15 years, and he has never once heard of this.

Untill I see some proof, you are full of ****.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok the ceo of honda is the owner of mugen (thats why they would use mugen) both the oem and mugen are stamped with the same part number and say honda on them!!

the recall is in the dealership computer (recall means faulty part so manufactor has to replace so they do not get sued) like toyotas (they had a recall on all their cars cause they where killing hundreds of people)

i took a dealership to court myself without a lawyer filed all paperwork at courthouse cause they said my intake voided my warranty .

sema and congress has laws to protect us from warranty fraud - no aftermarket parts will void warranty unless youve unbolted the valve cover and messed with the interenals and still they would have to prove u did

you can get proof (use your computer) faulty P/N 52385-SR3-000 defect code 042
Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ok the ceo of honda is the owner of mugen (thats why they would use mugen) both the oem and mugen are stamped with the same part number and say honda on them!!

the recall is in the dealership computer (recall means faulty part so manufactor has to replace so they do not get sued) like toyotas (they had a recall on all their cars cause they where killing hundreds of people)

i took a dealership to court myself without a lawyer filed all paperwork at courthouse cause they said my intake voided my warranty .

sema and congress has laws to protect us from warranty fraud - no aftermarket parts will void warranty unless youve unbolted the valve cover and messed with the interenals and still they would have to prove u did

you can get proof (use your computer) faulty P/N 52385-SR3-000 defect code 042
Mugen was founded by the founder of honda's son, and the two companies do have a close relationship but no the CEO of Honda does not own Mugen (they don't even have that much to do with each other since a tax evasion case a few years back) Also, there is no recall! There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the issue. They aren't the same thing. Technical service bulletins are known issues, normal warranty still applies, but they're often considered for good will if the issue comes up shortly after the end of the warranty period, not 9 years after the warranty period has ended. Recalls don't have anything to do with warranty. They're a safety related issue. Toyota had one for they're gas pedals (which did no kill hundreads of people, there were a few isolated cases, and I suspect at least most of them were caused by "pedal misapplication" They had another one for pitman arms breaking on older pickups that i'd call a legitimate recall. IIRC recalls are normally government mandated.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They not the "dealership" it "stealership" because they make you pay more for your wallet
Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ps hardrace bushing and mugen bushing are the same
I don't think this is true.