Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear disc install ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear disc install ????

My friend and I installed GSR rear disc on his civic but after insall and we looked at the car form the back it had a ton of positive camber. so much that the top of the wheel was further out than the chassis. We jacked down the car and that didnt help one bit.

Is there something we did wrong or forgot???

The arm doesnt look bent, and when we place it on top of the drum arm they pretty much lie up ( by eye) . someone told me that it is the little 'axle' ( think he called it the sub/stub axle) that the disc spin on that may be bent. is this possible?

anyway we can fix this?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(gsr isnt special...its just rear disc)
If the chassis is an EK, did you happen to use integra lower control arms?
The only thing that you swap over is the trailing arm (since theyre all the same) with the hub attached - all the other arms need to be from the civic.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

nah, it is an EG hatch . should i also use the civic control arms?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eg and dc arms are the same
If you did swap control arms, put the civic ones back on, since (assuming) it wasnt like this before.
Im going to guess, that the "little axle" that the person who obviously has no clue what he's talking about, is actually the rear hub...
Its possible that its bent, yes....though Ive personally never seen it.
Several pics of this would be great for help.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here are some pics of what is goin wrong
I hope that you can tell how bad it is form the pics

Old 07-29-2007, 02:29 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: (eg6madness)

from that second pic.. something looks bent!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (eg6madness)

Yes, at the very least put the civic arms back on. yes they're the same, but you obviously didn't have the camber problem with the civic arms.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy ****...bent indeed
put the civic control arms back on, if you swapped...if its still cocked, you have a bad TA or hub
Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6madness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok here are some pics of what is goin wrong
I hope that you can tell how bad it is form the pics

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5_Lug_B)

ok the only arm which i used that wasnt civic was the trailing arm.... we swapped out all the rest and still nothing.
The funny thing is, is that both sides are like this.

Is it worth it taking the hub off these trailing arms and put them on my Civic Trailing arms?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 PM
New User

Default Re: (spock_rocker)

If i'm not mistaken, I believe your Setup is Bent Badly. Just use the 99-00 civic Si Rear disc. Civic to Civic. I did it mine. no Problem. just needed an alignment afterwards.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Either the TA itself or the hub is badly bent... I would demand the seller take these back and get another set.

To the guy above^
All rear disc setups are the same...88-01
Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 PM
k powered ej1

cant you press both hubs out and press the disc hubs in to see if its the actual trailing arm?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you replace all the bolts that attach the arms to the frame?

the way the front of the tire seems to be sticking out looks like you don't have all the bolts re-attached.

if any parts were bent you should be able to look under the car and see whats causing it....

take a picture from under the car if possible.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you roll the car after you let it down? (Can't stare at the pics - at work).
Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (orb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by orb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you roll the car after you let it down? (Can't stare at the pics - at work).</TD></TR></TABLE>
??

if you didn't roll the car after the install roll it drive it around the block and it will reset the rear.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5_Lug_B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5_Lug_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn!</TD></TR></TABLE>

enought said haha...
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

trailing arms are bent, swap the spindles to the original civic trailing arms. Do a seasrch to figure out how to do it, its very easy. I had one that looked exactly like your pic and I could not tell by looking at it that it was bent until it was on the car.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cibola)

If they are equal on both sides the likely hood of both being bent exactly the same amount is hard to believe. I doubt that they are bent, it is most likely a install error.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if he's aying he used the lca from the civic and has it bolted up correctly, there is not much more that can be wrong. It really looks to me that he used the lca from the integra, which are 1 inch shorter then the civic lca. That would explain why both sides are doing it, although he only posted pics of the right side. My right rear trailing arm was bent and looked EXACTLY like his and you could not see the bend when it was stripped and laying next to the straight trailing arm. If the donor car was in a roll over, both sides could be bent under at the bottom.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cibola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">??

if you didn't roll the car after the install roll it drive it around the block and it will reset the rear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I meant, yes. Now that I have a chance to look at the pics it appears kinda f'd. Still might be worth a shot, but I don't think you need to go all the way around the block. Up and down the driveway or something should do it. G/L.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you (foolishly) unbold the toe adjustment arm from the chassis...and then reattach it all the way to one side?

That would be #3

Really, thats all I can think of, if you dont want to say bent
Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you (foolishly) unbold the toe adjustment arm from the chassis...and then reattach it all the way to one side?

That would be #3

Really, thats all I can think of, if you dont want to say bent</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I'm thinking he did, it doesn't look like camber out - it appears (from the shitty *** pics) to be toe out...and since you have to unbolt the toe adjustment bolt...did you put it in on one side?

I highly doubt it's bent...I mean think about it, BOTH of them, are bent, EXACTLY THE SAME degrees on BOTH sides?

I don't know, doesn't make much sense to me.

I say you didn't bolt the toe adjustment bolt in right.

****, one person says bent and everybody hops the expletive on the gravy train...

EDIT:
Look at that 2nd pic - it's at the same horizontal level as the rim, yet you can see the rim in a way you wouldn't be able to see it if JUST the camber was out.

Your toe is way outta whack, dude. Check the toe adjustment bolts.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You dont have to touch that bolt, just the one on the TA itself.
If one side was like this (only) its bent...
If both sides are like this...its probably toe
Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the last pic, that looks like some bigtime pos camber. How much movement do you think you get out of the toe adjuster? It is positioned in such a way as to be equal movement at the compensator and centerline of the hub. 25 mm total movement right to left? That would make 12 mm toed out. I think that looks way more then 12 mm's.

I had nearly an inch of toe out on my car and you couldn't really tell from looking at it, you had to measure it to believe it. I had one lca that must have been hung up on some thing and crazy bent out of shape. Both sides of the compensator adjusters where all the way out. I put them back in the middle and i'm within a sixteenth.

egmadness needs to move the compensators to the middle (he needs an alignment anyway so it wont hurt anything) and check it, although he said it had positive camber that it didn't have before the swap. Keep the car jacked up and check the toe. Run a tape measure from the same point on each tire (like the outside of the outer most rib) and measure between the tires (right to left side) on both the front and back side of the tires as close to opposite as you can get. If the measurement on the front side is longer then the back side, subtract the two and thats your toe out. Divide the difference by two and move the compensator on each side that amount. This doesn't mean that the rear will be aligned with the front, but unless the chassis or subframes are bent, it should be close.

Just my two cents. Good luck

Quick Reply: Rear disc install ????