Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear disc conversion info

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear disc conversion info

I read on here somewhere, there was a sticky of all the info people have gathered on what works and what doesn't for a rear disc conversion on a Honda that doesn't have them stock.

There was a lot of helpful info, however there was no info on what "I" wanted to do. So, I went ahead and tried it out, and now that I know the answer, I can give you guys the info and you can add it to the sticky for the brake swap.

There wasn't much known about the del sol rear brakes onto a 5th gen civic. Here is the breakdown ("brake" down? LOL)

anyway, the del sol Si AND the del sol VTEC rear brakes are the same, and they bolt right into place on a 5th gen civic coupe. (the hatch and 4 door should be the same as well). Now, most people already knew that, but here is the kicker. The e-brake cables from the del sol DO NOT work. I found this out the hard way, after cutting a hole in my carpet (too lazy to remove it) and getting the factory e-brake cable loose, and then unbolting the factory brake setup (control arm, etc).

Side by side, the brakes are identical except the e-brake cable. The del sol is a good 6 inches shorter than the civic one. So if you use del sol brakes on a 5th gen, I'm assuming you have to use the e-brake cable from either a 99-00 si, or a 5th gen civic with abs (should have rear discs in that case)

There is a lot of info on what cables work, and the differences between the integra and civic ones.

Another thing I noticed in side by side comparison is that the del sol LCA has a curve built into it (I think to clear the factory sway bar) that the 5th gen civic does not have.

Hell, if all you had to do was drop the 4 or 5 bolts it takes to remove the rear assembly, brake swaps would only take an hour at most. It's that damn e-brake cable that makes it such a bitch. And once you get the old one out, prepare your curse words for getting the new one back into the car. Hope this info helps someone out.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah.....Del Sol guys have been swapping civic and teg rear disk parts onto the Del Sol S for years....So it's a given that it would work the other way arround.