Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear disc brake swap..oddball question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear disc brake swap..oddball question

My car has been down for about a week now because I am working out bugs from my rear disc brake swap. this latest problem has me at my wits end, so I need to know if you guys know what is going on.

I have a 95 civic dx (no abs) with gsr rear trailing arms/brakes. integra rs master cylinder (new), integra rs prop valve (new from acura), gsr booster (used), new pads and rotors all of the way around.

Swap is done, my pedal is hard, and I barely get any play in it, when I stomp on brakes, the pedal barely gives and the the rate at which the car slows does not change. I recently put it in the air at work and pressed the brakes (car off) and had a tech try to move my wheels. my r/f and l/r wheel spin freely (even with brake pedal down) and the l/f and r/r wheel lock up.

Does the way the master cylinder apply pressure to the prop valve diagnally biased (hope I said that right) meaning, does it apply to the back and the fronts as a set, or does it apply it diagnally.

What do you guys think? bad (new) prop valve, bad master cylinder, bad booster (remember the pedal has no travel, and it is the only thing I have not replaced)

Also when I was bleeding the brakes, my partner was cracking the bleeders and I was pressing the brakes. When he cracked the bleeder, the pedal would only drop 1/8 of an inch before stopping, it did this on all 4 wheels. I know from bleeding countless brake systems that the pedal will go the floor if you press on it to long.... Do you think these problems are related? ( i have since bled the brake with a power bleeder at work, so air is not a problem)

I am about to give up the ghost on this swap and have considered putting my drums back on. I have searched my problems and found no answers, so please offer me some advise if you can.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(trailing arms with disc hubs - otherwise theyre all the same - gsr isnt special either, btw)

Youre running a MC/BB setup thats too large for the tiny dx sized front calipers (unless you have teg calipers up front and just didnt mention it)
15/16"?

The MC supplies even fluid to the prop. and is then split, based on which one youre using.

Do you have a kinked line? Sounds as if fluid just isnt moving anywhere to me...
If the lines arent the issue, I say swap the civic prop back in and see if that changes anything.

I do not think the discs have anything to do with it... I think the problem is very close to the pedal - meaning the mc, the prop, or a line very close by.
Its hard to diagnose, since you swapped so many different parts on at the same time.
I still say start with the lines, then the prop.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I need to swap in the gsr front brakes to?
not a big deal, but I am over $1,000 into the whole swap with brand new parts and stuff for the rear, this swap is getting "spensive"

when I pulled of the dx prop valve the top/right line stripped and I had to cut it and reflare the line, I followed the line to the back and am not sure which side it goes to. it doesnt leak, and if the line is an issue, i would think just that wheel would spin freely, instead of my current problem with just the diagnol wheels spinning

my prop valve is brand new from acura, and I doubt i can return it if it is bad. If I swap back the old prop valve I will have to get that broken fitting out of it, I guess if thats what I have to do, then I will get to work though, thanks for the advice