Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Disc brake Caliper

Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Disc brake Caliper

On my '95 civic ex, I can't get the brake cylinder to compress. I've searched for help but found nothing helpful. So far I've opened the bleeder valve to try and release some pressure; that didn't help at all. Is there any way I can get brake caliiper to compress easily without buying any tools (Can't drive anywhere)??? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT ON MY CURRENT SITUATION!!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Disc brake Caliper (^LORTA^RACING)

They probably "screw" back in... not compress.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the pads out. Put the caliper back on the bracket. Then use a big flat screwdriver or some sort of bar to leverage on hte caliper and push the piston back. Im not sure but is the caliper an open piston caliper or does it have a piston with groves on it. If it has groves then it has to be rotated counterclockwise to pust the piston back inside. If its just and open piston then just push back in.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear Disc brake Caliper (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They probably "screw" back in... not compress.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not probably, they DO screw back in.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You gotta screw it back in...

W/O the proper tool it's kind of a bitch to do... but I've used semi-flat headed needle nose pliers slightly open to turn the piston back in... but it took prob. 20 times as long as doing it with the right tool...

You might be able to borrow the tool from Autozone if there's one around you.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disc brake Caliper (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You gotta screw it back in...

W/O the proper tool it's kind of a bitch to do... but I've used semi-flat headed needle nose pliers slightly open to turn the piston back in... but it took prob. 20 times as long as doing it with the right tool...

You might be able to borrow the tool from Autozone if there's one around you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2 use WD40 generously too....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow you went as far as opening the bleeder bolt. Hopefully you didn't get any air in the line.

Buy this (for next time at least):
Old 12-12-2007, 12:39 PM

YESS!! I didnt feel like walking to autozone to buy the special tool that was mentioned, so I used a wire stripper tool bcuz the nose of it fit the cross on the brake cylinder. I turned it counter clockwise until it came loose; then all the way clockwise until it compressed!! THANKS!! I O U GUYZ
Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Step 1: Open the bleeder valve.

Step 2: Set an old brake pad on the piston.

Step 3: Equip A c-clamp.

Step 4: Go to town on the C-Clamp, use a wrench for extra leverage.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I really wouldn't do this on a rear caliper piston.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

For anyone that rarely uses the tools...Harbor Freight sells an awesome kit! I used it on my g/f's mustang. When I bought the set in the store it was only $20!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Step 1: Open the bleeder valve.

Step 4: Go to town on the C-Clamp, use a wrench for extra leverage.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You missed step 5:

Go to the dealer or search the internet parts places for a replacement caliper.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disc brake Caliper (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You gotta screw it back in...

You might be able to borrow the tool from Autozone if there's one around you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just buy the tool bro, i'm sure its less than $10. the tool makes it so much easier.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You missed step 5:

Go to the dealer or search the internet parts places for a replacement caliper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess that would be important.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I really wouldn't do this on a rear caliper piston. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I take it they are different that front caliper pistons?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Perfectionist)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is exactly how I broke 3 c-clamps. You'd think after the second one I would have learned. Oh well!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I take it they are different that front caliper pistons?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Front can simply be compressed, rear must be rotated to be compressed.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Front can simply be compressed, rear must be rotated to be compressed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aha.

&lt; Dx owner, drums equipped.

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow you went as far as opening the bleeder bolt. Hopefully you didn't get any air in the line.

Buy this (for next time at least):
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the exact tool i have and use,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe somone can explain better, but why open the bleed valve? all you are doing is allowing air back into the lines.

what i do and recommend is whenever doing brakes, open the cap to the fluid resevoir. what this does is it allows less restriction when pushing or twisting the pistin back in. it allows the fluid to move freely without allowing air into the lines, possibly saving time and fustration from bleeding the brakes.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

maybe somone can explain better, but why open the bleed valve? all you are doing is allowing air back into the lines</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can either open the bleeder valve, OR the reservior caps. When I change my rotors/pads i bleed my brakes anyway.

Either one works.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just compress front or screw in back (without cracking a bleeder/reservoir). I don't see why that's needed.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just compress front or screw in back (without cracking a bleeder/reservoir). I don't see why that's needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he said it so that pressure could be released from the lines, that way it'd be easier to compress the piston, instead of working against the pressure in the lines.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sk8shorty012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he said it so that pressure could be released from the lines, that way it'd be easier to compress the piston, instead of working against the pressure in the lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I still don't see why it's needed when the reservoir is never supposed to be topped off for that exact reason (air in the reservoir will compress).
Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

the rears screw in, the fronts you can just compress, take the cap off the master cyclinder and this will make it a lot easier. if you open the bleeder valve you will have to bleed your brake system. also they sell the tool for the rears at harbor freight for like 5 bucks

gl
Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just use a long flat head screwdriver and use it sideways to twist it back in. Kind of a bitch but it works and saves you 20 bucks
Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ej1 rep)

&lt;---- used needle nose pliers!!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suggest deleting your post and refraining from commenting on things you have no experience with Rear calipers are neither cheap nor fun to replace because somebody on the internet with a high post count told you how best to break them.

I don't tell people how to suck because I have no experience. Follow the example

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Disc brake Caliper