the button would work all of a sudden one day it's not working anymore
im not sure if this was after or before i installed my head unit
i got a new button off of ebay and still don't work, fuses seem to be fine

any ideas?

96 civic lx
Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rear defogger problem (goatboy)

Check your wiring and connections at the hatch. They may be loose. Make sure to check the actual connetion from the wiring to the glass mounted connections. They may be worn out, loose, or dirty. As far as the light not coming on, that is weird. Does it not work at all or is it just the light. Double check the fuses, because being sure and pretty sure are two different things. Best of luck!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rear defogger problem (Bond)

the connection to the rear windshield look fine, the bulb in the switch works, and i tested it in another, but even if the bulb was bad the switch would still work, the connection in the back of it is fine, i checked the fuses with one of those fuse checker things, i think there's a relay or something but how do you know if thats bad? maybe one of the wires just went bad

i think im gonna have to bring it in somewhere to check it out it's got me totally stumped
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check for possible shorting out the the wires. It could still be a loose connection. Try giving the wires a shake and move the connections around. Also, since everything else work, use a 12V test light and test the connections. The test light will show you what is getting power, since all the rest is clearly getting power. Try the connections at the hatch with the test light. Also does the window defog only in one area. The wire that runs along the glass surface can easily be chipped off or seperated causing a break in the line. Cheak the window for seperations in the wire or deep scratches if this is happening. If no worky at all, try what I said above. Good luck

Oh, for a mechanic to trouble shoot things is costly. They seem to always take a long time
Old 02-26-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: rear defogger problem (Bond)

im gonna get a tester today, do i basically just unplug the button and stick the tester in each of the holes?

i checked the rear windshield and everything looks fine
the window doesn't defog at all

and the bulb in the switch works right i just replaced it with a new one to make sure, it doesen't light up when i press it which is when it would show that it is working, maybe there's something wrong with the timer switch
Old 02-26-2005, 03:02 PM

so i checked the wires and the only time i get power from them is the illumination light on the button when the lights are on the other wires don't give me anything, so possibly a problem with the wires going to the switch?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you are on the right track. Also check the connections from the fuse box to the switch. By the sounds of it, the switch is getting power. So this would lead me to believe that the connection is broken between the switch and the defogger at the hatch. But try the coonections at the switch and fuse box first and let me know what happens. The switch may be getting power to illuminate the light which means the connection in the switch is good. (When the switch is on it lets power flow to the light, then to the rear deffoger. If I can remember right). Check that the connections are good leading out of the switch. That is all I can suggest that would be wrong. I am running out of suggestions, so hopefully you find what is wrong soon. Good Luck