Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear control arms giving me problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear control arms giving me problems

I have a 93 hb si I bought the skunk2 pro series coilovers, I noticed that the back struts where blown out when my gf and her friends were in the car and it was bottoming out. So i opted for the skunk2's well the fronts went on easy but the rears didnt. I am having a problem with the rear control where the strut bolts to the control arm the bolt is rusted on... I snaped the one side and tried to cisle it out but it would come out...unfortunatly the other rear side is doing the same thing...does anyone have any advise? thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: rear control arms giving me problems (Integacivic)

I take it you snapped the head off. You may have to get a cutting torch and go to town.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Take it somewhere and have the do whatever they can to get them out, and install new bolts and bushings. The bolts gets rusted/seized in the metal bushing. I just did mine and thankfully I work at a service center so they got everything loose be4 I did it. They usually reccomend heating the bushings up and the bolt will come out, but you will need new bushings. Search for LCA bushings or something, this is VERY common on 92-00 Civics.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: rear control arms giving me problems (turner7205)

i had the exact same problem but I actually spun the bushing...buy a new bushing (like $15) remove arm, have old bushing pressed out/ new pressed in and bing bang capow!!!! fixed
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy new lcas from megan
Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
RTI

Default Re: rear control arms giving me problems (toolowcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the exact same problem but I actually spun the bushing...buy a new bushing (like $15) remove arm, have old bushing pressed out/ new pressed in and bing bang capow!!!! fixed </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure what you mean by spinning the bushing. How did you do that? The shock bolt threads into a nut on the shock. In order to have the bushing pressed you need to get the shock off the arm. That is what he is having trouble with.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Re: rear control arms giving me problems (toolowcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the exact same problem but I actually spun the bushing...buy a new bushing (like $15) remove arm, have old bushing pressed out/ new pressed in and bing bang capow!!!! fixed </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep it's very common for us up in canada to have this happen to us due to the snow and salt in the winter

everytime I change my shocks I've had to buy at least 1 new bushing

GL
Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear control arms giving me problems (jdmboi86)

Here is what I suggest to everyone. This is what im going to do. Either do it yourself or have some shop do it for you. Replace all the LCA bushings on both sides with new E/S polyurethane bushings. At the same time buy all new stainless steel bolts. Make sure when you install the bolts you use Anti-Sieze on them. If you havent messed up the bolts already I would think using heat to break the rust/corrision free is the best way to free them up.