Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear coilovers. Need how to

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear coilovers. Need how to

Before all of you start to tell me to search. I have already searched. I found the how to for front suspension. I need a step by step with pics on how to do the rear suspension. I have never done this before and i dont want links that only have like 3 steps and expect you to know how to do everything else. And one more thing. How long will my stock shocks last with coilovers before they blow out. Thanks ahead for any help.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Rear coilovers. Need how to (nicehatchy)

if i were you i would get the threaded shocks made for coilovers.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its easy... take it apart and put it back together the way you took it apart... if you don't have the know how to do that i think you need a new hobby...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Rear coilovers. Need how to (JDMisGOOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMisGOOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its easy... take it apart and put it back together the way you took it apart... if you don't have the know how to do that i think you need a new hobby...</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you are really a great help now i am sure that i can do it.

It looks easy but things arent always as easy as they look so maybe some help would be nice
Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 PM

get some spring compressors (sears $10-$20) will need them. two small nuts in trunk on strut tower need taken off. one bolt on lower control arm (lca) needs taken out (note nut is welded on).
Old 12-16-2004, 09:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Rear coilovers. Need how to (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some spring compressors (sears $10-$20) will need them. two small nuts in trunk on strut tower need taken off. one bolt on lower control arm (lca) needs taken out (note nut is welded on). </TD></TR></TABLE>

to elaborate, raise up your car on the support beam under the car. now, theres 2 nuts on top of the shock in your trunk, the size is 14mm. okay and theres one nut connecting your brake to your camber ****. that's another 14mm "bolt". and then there's one more "bolt" that connects the bottom of your shock to the lower control arm. that's a 14mm "bolt", remove it. pretty easy. IMO the rear is much easier than the front. all you gotta do now is take the shock out. if you're on stock springs, it might be a bitch because the shock is going to be fully extended (long).

have a friend put their weight on your rear disc brake or drum brake and that'll allow more room for you to get the stubborn shock out. dont worry, it's perfectly fine to jump on the brake drum or disc brake AS LONG as your homie ain't 300 lbs. once its out all you gotta do is get the spring off.

to get the spring off, you need an allen wrench and a 14mm wrench. put the allen wrench in the hole at the very top of the shock, there's a place for it. then use your 14mm wrench to twist that bolt off at the top.

what i like to do when taking stock springs off shocks is, place the shock on the ground with the top pointing toward a wall (it should be touching the wall for safety precautions) still with the allen wrench in the hole, and carefully unskrew that bolt with your 14mm wrench and voila, the spring will SHOOT off but i do not suggest doing this unless you clearly understand what you're getting into, you can just get spring compressors like said above.

to put everything back, just do the reverse of what i said.

even if this is your first time, i dont see how hard it could be with the info i just provided, just use your common sense and i doubt you'll **** anything up.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:43 PM

rears are about the same as the front, be prepared for some nastily rusted on bolts
Old 12-16-2004, 09:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Pioneer162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rears are about the same as the front, be prepared for some nastily rusted on bolts</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know bout you, but we live in california, we dont get rust on our cars unless of course, nicehatchy has a east coast car